The Student Room Group

Panorama highlights racism in football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by fudgesundae
IMO those Nazi salutes show an ideological following or endorsement of the actions of the Nazi party in the 30s and 40s. Monkey chanting shows extremely racist attitudes, but it is not on the level of trying to emulate or glorify the actions of the Nazis.

I will explain how the Netherlands incident is relevant. I know I mentioned England fans, however one of your main arguments was that there have not been racist incidents at an international level, only domestic. Whilst I was trying to argue that there is definitely a threat of racism occurring at the international level. While this incident may not have involved the England team/fans, it shows that the problem is not just present in domestic games but also at the international level. So the fact that we have seen it happen with respect to international football and Euro 2012, it is not too farfetched to assume that there is a possibility of these sorts of events happening to England fans.

Czech Republic full back Gabre Salassi received no racial abuse. Russia 4-1 Czech.

Mass hysteria & Polish bashing over.
Original post by Corck
Czech Republic full back Gabre Salassi received no racial abuse. Russia 4-1 Czech.

Mass hysteria & Polish bashing over.

Not really. Although I do like the fact that we were able to talk about the football rather than other issues overshadowing the game. Really good game :tongue:

No one is bashing the Polish, I made it clear that it is obviously only a small minority of Polish people.
Original post by fudgesundae
I know I mentioned England fans, however one of your main arguments was that there have not been racist incidents at an international level, only domestic.

Then you didn't look at my arguments properly.

One of my main arguments was that every country in Europe experiences domestic fan-on-fan violence, whether racist or otherwise, as shown by the source I posted showing mention of such incidents in practically every country in Europe, but incidentally not Ukraine or Poland.

My argument was not that racist incidents have not occurred on an international level, but that the Panorama video showing domestic fan-on-fan violence between supporters of rival league clubs would not apply to fan-on-fan violence at international level. There is a lot of hatred for local rivals out there, and the violence is directed at and by those local rivals, and ethnic minorities amongst these are obviously targeted because the main protagonists in these local rivalries are skinheads whose motivation is only for a fight against these rivals. If there were no ethnic minorities, they are quite happy thumping white rivals in the opposing group. That's why I'd never go to a local game involving two of these clubs in Poland, but I'd have no problem going if either of these clubs turned up to play the likes of Man City.

Supported by evidence that whenever these teams turn up to play each other, it kicks off, but whenever the likes of (for example) Man City go there, it doesn't, even though there are likely to be more ethnic minorities in the crowd at a City game.

You can watch the Ross Kemp documentary on the thing to geta better understanding of why this is.

This occurs more in Europe now because the stadiums are not segregated and the opposing fans can easily get at each other, when years ago England also had a problem with this and they were made to segregate the fans.

Of course, on the occasions where fan-on-fan violence has occurred at international tournaments, it has invariably been the English who are worst at fault.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending