The Student Room Group

Panorama highlights racism in football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jk4vr/Panorama_Euro_2012_Stadiums_of_Hate/

If you have the time, then watch this video. It is truly shocking and sickening to see what goes on in some football stadiums across Eastern Europe.

Just in this video alone they documented Nazi salutes at games, horrific anti-semitic chants and the unprovoked beating of some Indian students by fans of the same team.

I really cannot understand why UEFA have given Poland and Ukraine the Euro 2012 tournament. Why give it to a place where not everyone can enjoy the football. The worst part of it is that the Ukranian police fail to admit there is a problem. They claim that there have been no racist incidents inside stadiums. However in the 3 or 4 games Panorama went to, they filmed many incidents.

Thoughts on the video, Poland and Ukraine being given the tournament, or racism in football in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Racism is in all corners of society, I don't see why there is a big fuss over it and it's connections with football.
The polish cop was the scariest of all, saying the nazi salute was simply fans pointing at other fans.
It seems like the authorities are just going to sweep it under the carpet, rather than tackle it. (no pun)
Reply 3
Original post by Idle
Racism is in all corners of society, I don't see why there is a big fuss over it and it's connections with football.

Because you don't have thousands strong racist groups so closely associated with all corners of society. Groups that train their members in many types of combat to fight with other fans or ethnic minorities. Each football club basically has their own little militia. You also don't get such public displays of racism in other corners of society as you do at football matches in these countries.

Original post by AntiMonarchist
The polish cop was the scariest of all, saying the nazi salute was simply fans pointing at other fans.
It seems like the authorities are just going to sweep it under the carpet, rather than tackle it. (no pun)

Exactly, they refuse to acknowledge it even when presented with the facts. That's the main reason I think they shouldn't have been given the Euros. At least if they were trying to sort the problem out, then the tournament could give the issue more publicity which could in turn contribute to fixing it. But instead they just come up with excuses.
Why when white people are raped or mugged by black people it is not deemed racist behaviour?
Reply 5
Original post by PimpinisEasy
Why when white people are raped or mugged by black people it is not deemed racist behaviour?

Beacuse the BBC exist.

Ahhh I knew there would be some right wing muppet throwing in a stupid comment sooner or later. The statement which you said is so unbelieveably stupid that I can't even take you seriously.
1) These guys are actually shouting racist abuse and attacking people for the colour of their skin. Those 'black' muggers will target anyone of any race, just like white muggers do.

2) Are you trying to say there is nothing wrong with the racism shown in that clip?

You right wing people are so stupid, just take a step back and think about your stupidity. When there is a white person who does something to a non-white person and it's seen as racist you're all like 'OMG IT'S ONLY RACIST WHEN A WHITE PERSON DOES, THAT WASNT RACIST WAAA WAAAA etc' but when a non-white person does it to a white person you're all like 'OMG THAT'S RACIST'

Don't you see your double standards or are you too stupid to see it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Theoneoranro
Ahhh I knew there would be some right wing muppet throwing in a stupid comment sooner or later. The statement which you said is so unbelieveably stupid that I can't even take you seriously.
1) These guys are actually shouting racist abuse and attacking people for the colour of their skin. Those 'black' muggers will target anyone of any race, just like white muggers do.

2) Are you trying to say there is nothing wrong with the racism shown in that clip?

1) These black criminals target white people because they're seen as a soft target. I am asian and I lived in a black area, a white guy who lived in the same area was mugged ten times, i was not mugged once. Whites are seen as easy prey.

2) If the Ukranians do not see their capital city transformed into a majority foreign population I cannot blame them.

3) I'd sooner walk near those hooligans than in detroit.
(edited 11 years ago)
1) These black criminals target white people because they're seen as a soft target. I am asian and I lived in a black area, a white guy who lived in the same area was mugged ten time, i was not mugged once. Whites are seen as easy prey.

2) If the Ukranians do not see their capital city transformed into a majority foreing population I cannot blame them.

3) I'd sooner walk near those hooligans than in detroit.

Really? Well you must be some kind of an idiot because if you walked infront of those hooligans you would get your ass kicked and sent to hospital (at the VERY least). These guys are racist, those blacks in detroit aren't racist.

So, politically correct muggers? Like those politically correct paedophile? Bull****.
Really? Well you must be some kind of an idiot because if you walked infront of those hooligans you would get your ass kicked and sent to hospital (at the VERY least). These guys are racist, those blacks in detroit aren't racist.

You're right getting beaten up by hooligans who throw a hitler salute is much worse than getting murdered by a black crack dealer because he thinks i look like easy prey.
Original post by Snagprophet
So, politically correct muggers? Like those politically correct paedophile? Bull****.

Why does everything have to go to those paedophiles? I think Asians are just the next people to be racist to and those paedophiles are a perfect excuse to judge every asian. Even when you put things into ratio, you'll find that White people paedo more than asians. Grooming is just a form of paedophillia, but you have to remember that paedophillia is the actual crime. First it was blacks, then jews, then blacks again, now asians.... WHO'S NEXT TAKE YOUR PICK....
a) Chinese
b) Latinos
c) Short people
d) Tall people
e) fat people
Stupid racist far right muppets. Go suck nick griffin.
Why does everything have to go to those paedophiles? I think Asians are just the next people to be racist to and those paedophiles are a perfect excuse to judge every asian. Even when you put things into ratio, you'll find that White people paedo more than asians. Grooming is just a form of paedophillia, but you have to remember that paedophillia is the actual crime. First it was blacks, then jews, then blacks again, now asians.... WHO'S NEXT TAKE YOUR PICK....
a) Chinese
b) Latinos
c) Short people
d) Tall people
e) fat people

It's not racist to realise other groups than white people can be racist. Dumbass.
Reply 13
a) Chinese
b) Latinos
c) Short people
d) Tall people
e) fat people

Saying right wing a lot and (like most products of the state) equating anything you don't like = Nick Griffin type, is not a debating technique. Crawl onto another forum or make some enlightened posts on your facebook page all your self-absorbed friends will like.

Edit: "Stop complaining, their parents worked hard for it. It's so stupid how everyone hates wealthy people."

ahaa your posts on this thread and this ^, another middle class progressive "liberal".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by prog2djent
Saying right wing a lot and (like most products of the state) equating anything you don't like = Nick Griffin type, is not a debating technique. Crawl onto another forum or make some enlightened posts on your facebook page all your self-absorbed friends will like.

Edit: "Stop complaining, their parents worked hard for it. It's so stupid how everyone hates wealthy people."

ahaa your posts on this thread and this ^, another middle class progressive "liberal".

Alright, so it's okay to hate wealthy people? Do I smell jealousy?
Reply 15
Alright, so it's okay to hate wealthy people? Do I smell jealousy?

Nope, most wealthy people are beacons of what people should aim for.
Reply 16
As a black guy, I think these things happen, I bet you that they probably just found the worst games and had been filming quite a few games, you have loads of racist muppets in many countries, spain, italy are good examples, remember the case of the spanish manager calling henry a black **** which was swept under the rug, remember kameni getting peanuts thrown at him?

Although polish guys doing nazi salutes should be sterilized, I don't know how stupid you can be to support a group that terrorized your country 70 years ago.
Reply 17
I think it is not the colour but nationality and how u dress up. Firstly after watching this video i thougjt i'll never go to ukraine, because my colour is like spanish,however my friends from ukraine told that it is not bad if you can look like part of the nation.
Reply 18
Surely its just 'some people are still racist even though the West thinks it is a bad thing', although that doesn't make nearly as good a headline.
Reply 19
Original post by jam277
As a black guy, I think these things happen, I bet you that they probably just found the worst games and had been filming quite a few games, you have loads of racist muppets in many countries, spain, italy are good examples, remember the case of the spanish manager calling henry a black **** which was swept under the rug, remember kameni getting peanuts thrown at him?

Although polish guys doing nazi salutes should be sterilized, I don't know how stupid you can be to support a group that terrorized your country 70 years ago.

Anybody can be a nazi.

I remember when we had two holocaust survivors come to our school that kept stressing to people "stop saying Germans, they were Nazi's from all over europe".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending