Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

About religious people (mostly Christians) in the streets...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mati1)
    An Atheist knows there is no god based on Science Reason and Evidence. Their brains in other words.
    Science does not disprove there is a god. I used to be atheist but now I'm agnostic because I'm given up caring since we'll never know. Nobody on earth can prove or disprove that god exists. Therefore many establish scientists believe there could be a good (they just don't go into the religion side of things).

At the end of the day 'Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.' (cheers wiki). Atheists believe that there is no god(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief

Edit: If anything lots of scientist believe that there is a god due to the fact that science works far to perfectly, everything has a system within science that works.. look at the standard model of particle physics
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickC)
    Atheists don't stand in the street forcing you to listen to their beliefs. That's what the OP is talking about.

I'm all for freedom of speech, just don't think people should be forced to listen to you.
    They aren't forced to listen... That's why I said just walk off of you're not interested.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbottle)
    What about speaking out about your sexual beliefs e.g. gay prides etc?
    Are you implying there's something wrong with that? (heterosexual by the way)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure where "belief" features in gay pride, really...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mati1)
    Are you implying there's something wrong with that? (heterosexual by the way)
    No.

Are you implying there's something wrong with having faith in God?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's very different. Those things are done to try and raise awareness around the world that being gay is not different or odd because many people are still very homophobic. They aren't forcing you to believe anything they are simply showing the world they are happy to be as they are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris22)
    I'm a Christian and don't agree with people shoving beliefs down others throats. They are welcome to stand in the street and allow people to approach them to discuss their beliefs, but forcing them onto others is wrong. It's the same with any belief.

I don't have a problem with people expressing their belief, but I do have a problem with people who belittle and insult people with beliefs different to their own.
    Good reply, sir.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's very different. Those things are done to try and raise awareness around the world that being gay is not different or odd because many people are still very homophobic. They aren't forcing you to believe anything they are simply showing the world they are happy to be as they are.
    Why would they have to show the world they are happy as they are? Are they abnormal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgraham15)
    They aren't forced to listen... That's why I said just walk off of you're not interested.
    A megaphone is loud enough to reverberate inside your ears and head so you can't block out the sound. If someone is preaching in the street outside shops I want to go into or if I want to sit and have a coffee, I am forced to listen to them. It should be classed as disturbing the peace in a public area really. I shouldn't have to avoid an area just because someone wants to shout to everyone what their views are. How is that fair?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would they have to show the world they are happy as they are? Are they abnormal?
    No but many people think they are lots of the world are hugely homophobic especially religious people
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some young American Christian guy tries to stop people in the street near my workplace and talk to them about Jesus.

Honestly, I don't harbour ill-feeling toward him, I just feel bad for him wasting his time over nothing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A megaphone is loud enough to reverberate inside your ears and head so you can't block out the sound. If someone is preaching in the street outside shops I want to go into or if I want to sit and have a coffee, I am forced to listen to them. It should be classed as disturbing the peace in a public area really. I shouldn't have to avoid an area just because someone wants to shout to everyone what their views are. How is that fair?
    Then tell the police...? It's not difficult we have freedom of speech and so do you, so use it and tell the police of you think it's too loud. Problem solved.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgraham15)
    Then tell the police...? It's not difficult we have freedom of speech and so do you, so use it and tell the police of you think it's too loud. Problem solved.
    Again I think it's a poor way to use freedom of speech and generally just makes people who are anti-religion more anti-religion, and also pisses off some people who haven't made up their mind about religion. People who do it are kinda shooting themselves in the foot.

Sounds like a great idea actually! I'm gunna get a megaphone and preach to the masses but saying things like "Don't listen to me, I'm simply expressing my views and I hope it doesn't inconvenience you in anyway" "enjoy your shopping" "that looks like a beautiful cup of coffee sir" "don't pick your nose you disgusting person"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.

Are you implying there's something wrong with having faith in God?
    No.

I'm giving a coherent logical explanation of what it means to be an atheist. Which by the way i didn't say I was.

I'm also saying that if christians have the freedom of speech to yell at others in the streets than people who believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters should have the right to do so as well.

Preferably louder.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i personally see nothing with self-expression. so if a Christian person/what ever religion based is preaching and expressing their views on god and the world etc they should be allowed to do so.

however i do think it is a wrong way to go about showing what 'god' is and what the work of a spiritual person is about. they tend to preach words with no action. instead of forcing views on others and freaking them out, they should perhaps try to do good deed for the world/people? you know instead of spending hours on the street screaming "seek redemption" they should invest it on voluntary work that will actually have benefits.

I'm personally a spiritual person and my actions and life choices tend to be a testimony of that belief. and i believe by forcing opinion on others, it actually has the opposite effect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit: If anything lots of scientist believe that there is a god due to the fact that science works far to perfectly, everything has a system within science that works.. look at the standard model of particle physics [/QUOTE]

You either believe that Earth was made in 6 days by a god or you believe in science. You can't combine the two.
    You can't say the Big Bang was god sneezing.

(by the way I love it how he's almighty and all powerful but had to rest on the 7th day "Hey come on. I just made a friggin' universe")
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clearly a rep phishing OP, but I agree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hear hear
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mati1)
    No.

I'm giving a coherent logical explanation of what it means to be an atheist. Which by the way i didn't say I was.

I'm also saying that if christians have the freedom of speech to yell at others in the streets than people who believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters should have the right to do so as well.

Preferably louder.
    No one said they shouldn't.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy a battled debate with them; win and move on.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 6, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.