Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Laptop for University

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I need a good laptop for university. I'm not going to be using it for much except for research and perhaps some high graphic games when I get the time. Although it would be nice if it had anything else to offer tbh. Not looking for something too expensive as I dont want to be stuck if it ever gets stolen.

Please no mention of Mac's. I honestly dont like the OS at all and would prefer windows on my laptop.

Which ones would you suggest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    High end Macbook Pro.

Nothing else will be good enough for university.

I mean, it'll have good enough specification to do whats needed but unless you have a Macbook Pro (high end model) you're likely to get bullied.

In my uni, if you don't have a mac then you get bullied.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a Powerbook G5. It has lasted me for a year since I brought it off a man in the local shanty town. It is the best laptop I have ever owned.

I have made a laptop before which had pentium processor and 64mbs of ram. I made it myself and added a screen to it. But it was too heavy for my arms to carry so I made this idea of having a Desktop pc
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmTheWumAndOnly)
    High end Macbook Pro.

I mean, it'll have good enough specification to do whats needed but unless you have a Macbook Pro (high end model) you're likely to get bullied.

Never heard of a person getting bullied for the type of laptop :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azland)
    Unfortunately in my university it happens a lot. I got hit in the face once for having an Acer. I had the last laugh though. I followed him home with a kitchen knife from the on campus cafeteria. Now i don't get bullied no more.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure he's trolling.

What's your budget?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Budget is like 700-1k
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Budget is like 700-1k
    Novatech nSpire 2760 - Black Edition - 15.6" Intel i7 2760 Mobile Processor - 8GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB Hybrid SSD Hard Drive - DVD Writer - NVIDIA GT 555M Graphics
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...tion.html?th=g

£770 with windows 7 and £680 without an OS. That graphics card on it will give you a lot when it comes to gaming performance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Novatech nSpire 2760 - Black Edition - 15.6" Intel i7 2760 Mobile Processor - 8GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB Hybrid SSD Hard Drive - DVD Writer - NVIDIA GT 555M Graphics
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...tion.html?th=g

£770 with windows 7 and £680 without an OS. That graphics card on it will give you a lot when it comes to gaming performance.
    Looks good. Does novatech have any international branches though? Currently not in the UK. The only real ones I see in the malls here are the major global brands like acer, dell, alienware etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Macbook you ****ing idiot
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks good. Does novatech have any international branches though? Currently not in the UK. The only real ones I see in the malls here are the major global brands like acer, dell, alienware etc.
    You buying from Canada?
    Because Novatech is a British based business, with it's business mainly dealing with on-line firms.

Your best bet is to buy on-line and search for good well-known site in the tech world.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You buying from Canada?
    Because Novatech is a British based business, with it's business mainly dealing with on-line firms.

Your best bet is to buy on-line and search for good well-known site in the tech world.
    Yes, Canada. Although I can buy from some asian countries aswell if need be. I dont suppose you have anyother suggestions by some global companys?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Canada. Although I can buy from some asian countries aswell if need be. I dont suppose you have anyother suggestions by some global companys?
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16834230144CVF

Best I could find from Newegg.ASUS N53SV-EH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 500GB HDD 7200rpm DL DVD+/-RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M but $909 ish

And maybe send an email to novatech about a possible delivery abroad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need a lightning-quick high-end laptop for university... Something which can access the internet and run Microsoft Office will do the trick 99.9% of the time. The performance difference in day-to-day tasks between a bargain £200 system and a £1000 specced-out 20 inch behemoth is negligible. Mine cost under £150 (refurb) and I have no problems.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igrisok)
    You really don't need a lightning-quick high-end laptop for university... Something which can access the internet and run Microsoft Office will do the trick 99.9% of the time. The performance difference in day-to-day tasks between a bargain £200 system and a £1000 specced-out 20 inch behemoth is negligible. Mine cost under £150 (refurb) and I have no problems.
    He wants to play high graphics games as stated....hence he'll need something that will do the job, you can't get a good graphics card and processor to play these games without spending quite a bit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He wants to play high graphics games as stated....hence he'll need something that will do the job, you can't get a good graphics card and processor to play these games without spending quite a bit.
    Sorry, I should have explained my viewpoint more thoroughly. Personally, I'm opposed to the idea of gaming at uni - I know that if I brought a gaming laptop with me to university my degree would definitely suffer as a result. Maybe OP has more self control, but when you're living on your own you're more inclined towards dozen-hour gaming marathons, which definitely isn't a good idea when you're supposed to be studying!
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igrisok)
    Sorry, I should have explained my viewpoint more thoroughly. Personally, I'm opposed to the idea of gaming at uni - I know that if I brought a gaming laptop with me to university my degree would definitely suffer as a result. Maybe OP has more self control, but when you're living on your own you're more inclined towards dozen-hour gaming marathons, which definitely isn't a good idea when you're supposed to be studying!
    It's do able though, plus it's up to OP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    High end Macbook Pro.

Nice Uni...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately in my university it happens a lot. I got hit in the face once for having an Acer. I had the last laugh though. I followed him home with a kitchen knife from the on campus cafeteria. Now i don't get bullied no more.
    Badman! with a catering knife!! Brrrrrrrappp!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.