The Student Room Group

Aqa Law Unit 3 15th june 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by govarkarim
What do u want me to do with that? There is no June 2012

How do you expect there to be grade boundaries when the exam was only sat today?
Reply 141
Original post by charliekills
How do you expect there to be grade boundaries when the exam was only sat today?

i dont expect there to be grade boundaries, i said does anyone know what they could be. so its speculation not an affirmative answer.
Reply 142
I think they were very fair with the questions compared to usual. On scenario 1 anyway you could actually work out what you needed to write. It's impossible to do the paper in an hour and a half though. Even though murder is easy and I know it inside out writing it in half an hour is ridiculous. I had 15 minutes to do the evaluation so basically no chance of an A :frown:
When I saw non-fatals, my heart dropped :frown: But because of the work I had done on it before, it wasn't that bad and I was surprised that I remembered so much! Scenario 1 was a dream combo lol :smile: I think the grade boundaries have gone down because they went up in Jan, so fingers crossed!
Reply 144
I revised two days before the January exam and took a gamble and only revised the Murder essay and it paid off. Again, I only revised non-fatals essay for yesterday and took yet another gamble, which paid off again lmao!! I honestly blagged my way through the January essay and pulled 76/100 :O. I thought yesterday's paper was better mind so I hope i can get 83+
Reply 145
Original post by Uncle London
When I saw non-fatals, my heart dropped :frown: But because of the work I had done on it before, it wasn't that bad and I was surprised that I remembered so much! Scenario 1 was a dream combo lol :smile: I think the grade boundaries have gone down because they went up in Jan, so fingers crossed!

My heart dropped when i saw it too as i only flicked over it before the exam :frown: but with the exam pressure things popped in to my head an fingers crossed it has gone okay :smile:
I got really confused about him having a personality disorder which meant that he suffered anger and agression :smile: i was thinking is that diminished respinsbility or loss of self control? to be on the safe side i quickly wrote them both out just incase so just keeping fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by clbubb
My heart dropped when i saw it too as i only flicked over it before the exam :frown: but with the exam pressure things popped in to my head an fingers crossed it has gone okay :smile:
I got really confused about him having a personality disorder which meant that he suffered anger and agression :smile: i was thinking is that diminished respinsbility or loss of self control? to be on the safe side i quickly wrote them both out just incase so just keeping fingers crossed :smile:

I put Diminished Responsibility due to the fact his disorder was a recognised medical condition then addressed the other issues surrounding the DR defense. I never put loss of self control due to the fact that it didn't appear he was fearing anything or anything had been said or done. If you miss out one of the issues it doesn't matter that much you aren't expected to address every bit, just the majority or a certain number!
Reply 147
Original post by Tom Hardy
I put Diminished Responsibility due to the fact his disorder was a recognised medical condition then addressed the other issues surrounding the DR defense. I never put loss of self control due to the fact that it didn't appear he was fearing anything or anything had been said or done. If you miss out one of the issues it doesn't matter that much you aren't expected to address every bit, just the majority or a certain number!

Did you not mention loss of control at all? All of my friends did not either... I only mentioned diminished responsibility, murder both the causation and mens rea issue and the issue of causation. Do you think you will lose marks for no mention of loss of control?
Reply 148
Original post by Tom Hardy

Yeah thats exactly how i looked at the question and the DR i used in the same way as you :smile:
When i was going through the scenerio i could not differ and decided which one to do because i would love an A so i didnt want to miss a vital part out, but i put in loss of self control just incase :smile:
But i hope that i dont loose marks for putting in loss of self-control just for the sake of it :frown: i used it as a discussion point :smile:
Original post by clbubb
Yeah thats exactly how i looked at the question and the DR i used in the same way as you :smile:
When i was going through the scenerio i could not differ and decided which one to do because i would love an A so i didnt want to miss a vital part out, but i put in loss of self control just incase :smile:
But i hope that i dont loose marks for putting in loss of self-control just for the sake of it :frown: i used it as a discussion point :smile:

You are supposed to discuss it, even if it won't be successful. Murder essays are murder and voluntary manslaughter. There was fear of serious violence to the V or another identifiable person (Alice), the things said or done were the events that took place in the neighbourhood earlier in the day but I said they did not create circumstances of being unjustifiabley wronged and were not of an extremely grave character then concluded he could not use the partial defence as it was due to revenge. Then I discussed diminished responsibility, concluding it as successful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by charliekills
You are supposed to discuss it, even if it won't be successful. Murder essays are murder and voluntary manslaughter. There was fear of serious violence to the V or another identifiable person (Alice), the things said or done were the events that took place in the neighbourhood earlier in the day but I said they did not create circumstances of being unjustifiabley wronged and were not of an extremely grave character then concluded he could not use the partial defence as it was due to revenge. Then I discussed diminished responsibility, concluding it as successful.

OMG thats exactly what i did :P I concluded that it will be successful but im a bit worried cuz there was something about him Colin being drunk or something like that. Doesn't that make the defence of diminished responsibility unsuccessful?
Original post by govarkarim
OMG thats exactly what i did :P I concluded that it will be successful but im a bit worried cuz there was something about him Colin being drunk or something like that. Doesn't that make the defence of diminished responsibility unsuccessful?

No because you can relate it to the cases of Dietschmann, Robson and Hendy where it was held that if they had an abnormality of mental functioning which arose from a recognised medical condition; substantially impaired the defendant's ability to understand the nature of his conduct/form a rational judgement/exercise self control; and provided an explanation for his act and omission in doing or being a party to the killing (so everything was answered yes) then even if he was intoxicated then he would still be able to use this defence as he already had this abnormality of mental functioning...hope that made sense.
Reply 152
Original post by help pls
No because you can relate it to the cases of Dietschmann, Robson and Hendy where it was held that if they had an abnormality of mental functioning which arose from a recognised medical condition; substantially impaired the defendant's ability to understand the nature of his conduct/form a rational judgement/exercise self control; and provided an explanation for his act and omission in doing or being a party to the killing (so everything was answered yes) then even if he was intoxicated then he would still be able to use this defence as he already had this abnormality of mental functioning...hope that made sense.

Yeah i understand :smile: hopefully well get near to full marks on that question then. I answered the non fatal evaluation question first then i did murder and then i did the first question. I only managed to finish both those question but on question 1 i only wrote like a page and a bit as i rang out of time. I managed to talk about the criminal liability in relation to alice only and I discussed assault and s.47 mentioned the case of burtstow etc. I had no defences for it though and i didn't have time to get on to s.20/s.18 for the criminal liability in relation to the other person (i think jean?).

How many marks do you guys think I will get for a just talking about the criminal liability in relation to alice?
Reply 153
Original post by sean_woody
Hi, I did scenario 2 as well for the Criminal law. For the first question with Jameela I said that she could be charged with S20 GBH for the injuries to the old man using saunders for 'serious harm' and R V Bollom for the age of the victim can be taken into account and also that she may have the mens rea for s18. I also said that she could be convicted of s47 for the assault on Iris and that the heart attack would be serious enough for the injury to be considered under S20 with the mens rea of recklessness. I then used the defence of insanity. For Leah I said S20 for the wound caused to Jameelas lip and that she could if used the defence of prevention of crime.

For part two I said gross negliegnce mansluaghter with a duty existing as a driver to other pedestrians and this duty was breached as he did not drive as a reasonably competent motorist, then considered causation issues of doctors with cases of jordan and smith and using smith to state would not be broken. then I said unlawful act manslaughter in regard to tina with the unlawful act of battery which i probably should of said ABH/S20. Then I said he would use the defence of Automatism but it would be likely to fail because he was not acting totally involuntary as he still had some awareness.
Hope thats ok!! What did you put?

I need to get an A. got 90% average at AS so need to get a low B

Hi
i put everything like you but i dont think i put the s47 bit for iris but i did put the s20 for the heart attack. out of 25 how much would i get without the s47 iris bit. im looking for an A GRADE aswell
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by Care-Free
did no one else do contract?

Yes i did contract! ive been looking for a fourm for it but couldnt find one. which scenario did you chose? i did the first one and thought the answer was past consideration and intention to create legal relations for the first question and misrepresentation for the second question, how did you do?
Original post by Eboweer
Yes i did contract! ive been looking for a fourm for it but couldnt find one. which scenario did you chose? i did the first one and thought the answer was past consideration and intention to create legal relations for the first question and misrepresentation for the second question, how did you do?

I did the second one although if im honest i cant for the life of me remember what even happened, i remeber anotating the first one and putting past consideration which i love but obviously something drew me to the second one..

That evaluation of exemption clauses was unwelcome surprise...its usually formation so i had a model answer memorized for it!
Dont think i did too well but it was a re-sit so i'll get to keep the B i got in Jan thankfully
i cant do it. halp

Quick Reply

Latest