The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ЯOЯЯIM
Yes, people who have good jobs buy them because £195 is small change. It's all relative. People from a working class background will tell you that you're being ripped off if you spend more than £10 on a t-shirt or £20 on shoes, but understandably their priorities are different.

I mean, it can be argued that you're paying for more luxurious/durable material, a more precise fit, tighter weaving/better construction overall and thus a longer lifespan and a better look. Of course, this would not increase the price from £20 to £200. I should think that most of the increase in price is heaped on due to the bragging rights that a label's marketing gives to a person.

People like to throw their personal fortunes into sharp relief by wearing shirts as expensive as second-hand cars, for a false sense of prestige or some BS like that. After all, if you don't aspire to wear £200 shirts or to own yachts of comparable size to public transport ferries one day, why else would you put the effort into climbing the ladder?

tl;dr people get off on being more successful than other people and get off even more when they can shout about it with relatively expensive possessions. Their rationale for spending what seems to you like too much money is: "because I can."

It may make more sense to you when you have a six figure salary, but then again, you might be able to keep your perspective.

How condescending.

I'm from a working class background and I would not tell you that.

I also would tell you that 200 quid is pretty excessive for a shirt. Added value based on brand name is such a con. Exclusivity is the name of the game I guess and if I was a footballer, maybe I would spend that much.
Original post by rockrunride
Probably not, since I bought them over twelve months ago, but something like this: http://www.asos.com/Dr-Denim/Dr-Denim-Eddie-Chino-Short/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1918819&cid=7078&sh=0&pge=8&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Grey

Worn with blue toned deck shoes usually, or black sandals.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cgvince
Would this be good for summer, and would it go with alot of stuff ? , not too sure on it

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Oxford-Shirt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1912136&cid=3602&Rf-200=5&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=3&clr=White

I think it's quite nice although I don't think it really suits me

Reply 144
Original post by RedTiger
How condescending.

I'm from a working class background and I would not tell you that.

I also would tell you that 200 quid is pretty excessive for a shirt. Added value based on brand name is such a con. Exclusivity is the name of the game I guess and if I was a footballer, maybe I would spend that much.

Relax. I wouldn't have said anything were I not also from a working class background and frequently accosted by my family for overspending on clothes. Obviously I made a poor assumption, but I did not mean to condescend. You can dress well on a low budget, after all.
Reply 146
Quick question guys, does anyone know what "heavy stonewash" means on a tshirt ?, its listed on the tshirts details

Classic fit

Heavy stonewash

Nautical inspired sports graphic on back

100% cotton
Original post by cgvince
Quick question guys, does anyone know what "heavy stonewash" means on a tshirt ?, its listed on the tshirts details

Classic fit

Heavy stonewash

Nautical inspired sports graphic on back

100% cotton

First result on Google, Wikipedia:

"Stone washing is a textile manufacturing process used to give a newly manufactured cloth garment a worn-out appearance. Stone-washing also helps to increase the softness and flexibility of otherwise stiff and rigid fabrics such as canvas and denim."
Reply 148
Any opinions on these two suits?

http://www.next.co.uk/x49434s1

http://www.next.co.uk/x49436s1

Not bothered terribly about quality, only going to be worn once a year.
Reply 149
Original post by xxxy
Any opinions on these two suits?

http://www.next.co.uk/x49434s1

http://www.next.co.uk/x49436s1

Not bothered terribly about quality, only going to be worn once a year.

I'd go for the second.
Mainly because if any light grey suit has any shimmer to it, it looks ridiculously tacky.
Reply 150
Subaldinho

Reply 151
Despite the current weather, I'm looking for some shoes to wear with chino shorts. Which do you think would work and do you guys have any ideas? (I'm not looking to buy a pair of boat shoes)

I LOVE those RI Brogues, but I'm not sure if they'd work. :confused:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 152
My brother has his prom in like a few weeks or something and he has just bought this navy suit. Any recommendations for shirt tie and shoes?

Reply 153
Original post by Peachz
My brother has his prom in like a few weeks or something and he has just bought this navy suit. Any recommendations for shirt tie and shoes?

Firstly, if you haven't done so already, go to a tailor and get whatever alterations are necessary.

The shoes: you'll want black or dark brown [think dark chocolate colour] genuine leather shoes. Some well polished lace-up oxfords without a brogue pattern would be ideal. You can opt for round or pointy; if you opt for round toed shoes, make sure they don't look like safety shoes and go for a toe that slopes down a bit. If you go for pointy, just make sure they aren't too pointy. Avoid anything with a square toe because they look disgusting. Avoid unnecessary stitching, obnoxious buckles and other things. Zara has a couple of nice looking pairs of dress shoes for £50-£60. Make sure you match the belt to the shoes.

The shirt: it should be lighter than the suit, ideally white on this occasion. Opt for a spread collar and french cuffs, and add some simple cufflinks. No novelty cufflinks and nothing that tries to look more expensive than it is. Stay classy.

The tie: burgundy [think red wine], black or crimson. Possibly also dark blue. Make sure it's darker than the shirt, don't be afraid of a skinny tie and keep it simple.

Do everything right and your brother will look cool without shouting it out loud.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by ЯOЯЯIM
Firstly, if you haven't done so already, go to a tailor and get whatever alterations are necessary.

The shoes: you'll want black or dark brown [think dark chocolate colour] genuine leather shoes. Some well polished lace-up oxfords without a brogue pattern would be ideal. You can opt for round or pointy; if you opt for round toed shoes, make sure they don't look like safety shoes and go for a toe that slopes down a bit. If you go for pointy, just make sure they aren't too pointy. Avoid anything with a square toe because they look disgusting. Avoid unnecessary stitching, obnoxious buckles and other things. Zara has a couple of nice looking pairs of dress shoes for £50-£60. Make sure you match the belt to the shoes.

The shirt: it should be lighter than the suit, ideally white on this occasion. Opt for a spread collar and french cuffs, and add some simple cufflinks. No novelty cufflinks and nothing that tries to look more expensive than it is. Stay classy.

The tie: burgundy [think red wine], black or crimson. Possibly also dark blue. Make sure it's darker than the shirt, don't be afraid of a skinny tie and keep it simple.

Do everything right and your brother will look cool without shouting it out loud.

He's like 15 so I'm not telling him to go to a tailor haha, it's not a proper black tie event.

Definitely agree with tie & shirt. Was just a little unsure on the shoes, personally I'd stray from black & navy pairings especially in casual wear anyway.

Reply 155
Original post by Peachz
He's like 15 so I'm not telling him to go to a tailor haha, it's not a proper black tie event.

Definitely agree with tie & shirt. Was just a little unsure on the shoes, personally I'd stray from black & navy pairings especially in casual wear anyway.

Gah, right, it's a school prom. Oops. Hahahaha. Okay, yeah, dark brown shoes & belt.
YES PLEASE. http://www.asos.com/Paul-Smith-Jeans/Paul-Smith-Jeans-Organic-Cotton-Regular-Fit-Zebra-Polo/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1968610&cid=9827&Rf900=2212&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Grey

Also spending a bit too much time on Asos looking at the women's looks. Sometimes I lament the fact that we as men have far less choice in clothes. Without wanting to wear any of it or become a woman, of course.
Any advice on getting a decent suit as a matter of urgency for around £120? career defining interview on Thursday, so can't order online..
Original post by Tsunami2011
Any advice on getting a decent suit as a matter of urgency for around £120? career defining interview on Thursday, so can't order online..

Next do 50% wool, fairly decent suits for £120, I think they have some £140 ones that are 100% wool as well, but they didn't have any in the branch I went to.

Either that or M&S, they have a few decent non plastic suits around. Just avoid anything that is purely a polyester/viscose combination, you may blind your potential employer with its shine...

http://www.next.co.uk/g37312s4 This is what I got for a recent interview, comes in a variety of colours (stick to charcoal or navy) and a few different fits.
Reply 159
Original post by Tsunami2011
Getting a decent suit in a day for £120 is going to be tough. Try a bunch of suits on at your local department store(s) be it M&S, House of Frasier, Debenhams etc. Avoid synthetic materials. Wool is ideal. Buy whatever fits best, you won't have time to have it altered.

Latest