Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help - I need pain relief

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my tongue pierced 4 days ago and it doesn't seem to be infected or anything, it is looking better each day but is really, really hurting me. I've taken ibuprofen and paracetamol and can't have any more for a good few hours, but my tongue is killing me, particularly the bottom. I think because the barbell is quite big it might be rubbing a bit.

In a minute I'm going to put some ice on it but does anyone know of any other pain relief I can try? For example would caffeine help or make it worse?

I'd appreciate any advice

:'(

the hell has someone negged me for?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tongues literally heal in hours because it has a great amount of nerve endings. So on that basis, you can assume there's something wrong.
    I'm no expert but I think it's either infected or pierced wrong.

(Sometimes infections aren't visible.)

Ibuprofen won't help because it's anti inflammatory. Paracetamol will have a negligible effect in that area, again because the tongue has a lot of nerve endings.

Ice won't help.

Caffeine will make it worse. It'll sharpen the pain.

See a doctor. I'm inclined to believe the piercing was done incorrectly.

If you can't be bother to get a doctor to have a look, call NHS direct and ask them if you should pop into A & E
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Tongues literally heal in hours because it has a great amount of nerve endings. So on that basis, you can assume there's something wrong.
    I'm no expert but I think it's either infected or pierced wrong.

(Sometimes infections aren't visible.)

Ibuprofen won't help because it's anti inflammatory. Paracetamol will have a negligible effect in that area, again because the tongue has a lot of nerve endings.

Ice won't help.

Caffeine will make it worse. It'll sharpen the pain.

See a doctor. I'm inclined to believe the piercing was done incorrectly.

If you can't be bother to get a doctor to have a look, call NHS direct and ask them if you should pop into A & E
    That sounds a bit dramatic, they did say it would take a few days for the pain to go down and from what I've read elsewhere on other forums etc most people experience this?
    I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not an expert either but I had been thinking it was normal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    That sounds a bit dramatic, they did say it would take a few days for the pain to go down and from what I've read elsewhere on other forums etc most people experience this?
    I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not an expert either but I had been thinking it was normal
    Fair enough.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just an update... I've looked all over the internet including a piercing forum about what's going on with my tongue and it all seems pretty normal, except a couple of thing that are symptomatic of the bar being too long, so going into the piercing place to see what they say.

However if anyone here has had a tongue piercing I'd be interested to know what you think?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Masturbate... constantly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Masturbate... constantly.
    Haha I think the aching in my mouth would be too distracting right now!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.