The Student Room Group

Do you lock your bedroom door at uni?

Scroll to see replies

I only lock my door if I'm gna be out for more than say half an hour.

Although one time I popped to the shops in the afternoon, bumped into friends so went to the pub, this ended up turning into a night out.
Roll up home about 10 hours later pretty damn drunk to discover my housemates have stuck postit notes labelling literally every item in my room.

That was a funny time xD
Id recommend concealing away anything and locking your room when your away from it for any longer than a minute. I stayed in a mates room once and he left it unlocked when we went out for 5 minutes to the shop. Came back and someone, completely unnoticed by anyone else in his flat, got into his room. Stole my backpack with my laptop, harddrive and a set of beats in it, and one of his watches, all in worth round £2000 gone in one quick swoop.

Always better safe than sorry!!
Original post by Harry_Puthar
Basically yer u shud alwayz lock da door innit to b safe nd dat, ya dnt kno wats lurking around th corner...could b rapists, stalkers, kidnappers or even homosexuals ya get me, so its best to stay on da safe side innit...peace

loool
Reply 23
Original post by Samrout
only at night to stop my male housemates from sexually molesting me in the dark

:confused:
Mine locks automatically every time it shuts (it opens with a swipe card). Like most other people though, the automatic locking means I have a habit of locking myself out of my room when I'm just going to use the kitchen/a flatmates room and forget to grab my card.
Reply 25
Given the thread can we assume that this stuff might have come from a student bedroom

Also we can narrow the suspects down to international students coming from countries which use dollar currency.
I shared a bathroom for the first few weeks of the year and I didn't lock my door when I went in th shower. However I also had a roommate so it wouldn't have made much difference really. If I hadn't have had a roommate I like to think I would have locked the door but in reality I probably wouldn't have done.

When I moved into my own room, I locked my door every time I left it for a significant period of time (more than a few minutes to check my post or whatever). I also locked my room when I was inside because I like people to knock rather than just walk in on me. I locked it at night too.

I think the biggest thing you need to keep an eye on at university is not things disappearing from your room at the hands of flatmates (I can't account for leaving your laptop in view to Burglar Bill outside) but things disappearing from the kitchen. That's why I kept all my cuterly in my room and food in a mini-fridge in my room, and washed up plates etc immediately so no one else used them and never gave them back.
Reply 27
I kept my door locked due to the really high crime rates in the area, especially targeting students! So many people I know have had things stolen, so I just took that extra precaution of locking my door... Especially in halls where anyone could get into the block if they caught the door when someone was leaving, or someone hadn't shut the main door properly.
My halls are divided into flats, each with 8 people. I only ever bother locking my door if I'm going away overnight, as there's two other layers of security - the door to the communal staircase, and the door to the flat itself.

I've never had anything nicked, or had the room pranked either.
Reply 29
Original post by Rascacielos
I shared a bathroom for the first few weeks of the year and I didn't lock my door when I went in th shower. However I also had a roommate so it wouldn't have made much difference really. If I hadn't have had a roommate I like to think I would have locked the door but in reality I probably wouldn't have done.

When I moved into my own room, I locked my door every time I left it for a significant period of time (more than a few minutes to check my post or whatever). I also locked my room when I was inside because I like people to knock rather than just walk in on me. I locked it at night too.

I think the biggest thing you need to keep an eye on at university is not things disappearing from your room at the hands of flatmates (I can't account for leaving your laptop in view to Burglar Bill outside) but things disappearing from the kitchen. That's why I kept all my cuterly in my room and food in a mini-fridge in my room, and washed up plates etc immediately so no one else used them and never gave them back.

You have flatmates like me! always using my stuff and not washing them up or disapearing for weeks then appearing again!
Reply 30
Lock my door when i go to shops, uni or leave the house but not when i am in the house.
As for the front door always do however flatmates think other wise!....don't think we need to eventhough we are constatnly getting emailsf rom uni police people about keeping them locked
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
Mine locks automatically every time it shuts (it opens with a swipe card). Like most other people though, the automatic locking means I have a habit of locking myself out of my room when I'm just going to use the kitchen/a flatmates room and forget to grab my card.

How do you to get back into ur room when you've forgtton your card?
Do u have to go down to security?
Original post by Princess Kawaii
How do you to get back into ur room when you've forgtton your card?
Do u have to go down to security?

Yeah; security give out new ones if you forget yours. Means it's not at all unusual to see people running about outside in barefeet/pyjamas etc on their way to get replacement cards :tongue: It's easily done, especially if you're not actually leaving your floor (if you're just going to the kitchen/bathroom/a friend's room) so a lot of people wear their cards round their neck on lanyards all the time.
Original post by gargonroge
Also we can narrow the suspects down to international students coming from countries which use dollar currency.

I was going to say that that would just be Americans, but I googled it to be sure I wasn't going to look dumb. Turns out 8 countries pay with US dollars and even more countries have other dollars with the same dollar sign. I never knew that, but now I know .. :smile:
Reply 34
I didn't really lock my room that much, I didn't really need to. All the people in the flat were trustworthy, and the outside door was shut pretty much all the time.

I'd only lock it if I knew I was going to be out for a long time, or if I was leaving the flat. Never bothered to lock it when cooking or showering, far too much effort!
Reply 35
My on campus flat was in a tower block of flats, with a security door to access the flat block, then our flat door with another lock on it (both fob locks, so no keys), then each of our en-suite bedrooms had heavy locks on them.

I'd lock my bedroom door if I was- going out, going to lectures, going home for the weekend, in the shower/loo, sleeping and sometimes if I was studying in my room.

I wouldn't lock it if I was down the corridor in the kitchen, as my flatmates were trustworthy, and nobody could get into the flat without you hearing the intercom buzz or the flat door open as it was a noisy door.

My flatmates were less conscious about locking their doors then I was and would often even prop them open (which was against the Uni regulations as they were fire doors, but nobody really cared). One of my flatmates even went home for a week and left her door unlocked and all her stuff inside.

Nothing ever happened though, but I'd say that was just luck.

My advise would be to always lock your door - carry your keys on a lanyard or something. Much safer.
Reply 36
Mine was always locked. You never know who else can find their way in, and in first year, our kitchen window once got graffitied from the inside.
Reply 37
I only locked it if I was leaving the block and occasionally at night. My floor's rooms didn't have that much risk of getting trashed since no one had that kind of relationship with each other. Now if I was on the floor above, I would have always locked it.
I only ever locked mine if I left the flat, rarely if I was going for a long shower. Frankly my campus was very safe, as is most of the city relatively so I never felt at risk leaving it open. The only person who did leave it constantly unlocked (even to just get something from the kitchen lololol) was my paranoid friend who doesn't trust anyone, despite the two layers of 24hr security.

tl:dr I'm not paranoid so no I don't lock it, unless I'm going out.
Reply 39
Original post by Village Whisper

More specifically, what did you do when you first moved into uni halls and didn't know your flatmates? After all, although it'd be very nice to trust them all straight away, they are essentially strangers that you're suddenly living with. For those of you without an ensuite, did/do you lock your bedroom door when you go to the shared showers? (Showers more so than toilets, since you'd take longer).

If you mean how do you randomly just get to know them, by like approaching them, my brother (who's in his first year at uni in the UK) as soon as we were moving all his stuff to his room, he saw lots of other people on his hall also doing the same thing thus they were all more approachable and stuff rather than locked up in their rooms so he just said hi to every person he saw and maybe asked a question. But they all shared a kitchen (the people in his corridor) thus rather than eating in his room, he'd eat there and just talk and introduce himself to everyone that hung out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending