The Student Room Group

Do you lock your bedroom door at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samrout
only at night to stop my male housemates from sexually molesting me in the dark

Do you always check under the bed or in the wardrobe as well just in case?
Reply 81
Original post by PierceBrosnan
Do you always check under the bed or in the wardrobe as well just in case?

the first place i check if i think i'm being raped is my ass hole.
I lock mine when I go out and when I'm sleeping/getting changed. Other people in my flat lock theirs when they go into the kitchen, I don't usually since I'm only next door. I sometimes lock it when going to have a shower, wont if I'm just popping to the toilet though.

My 'flat' is open- anyone that can get into the building can get onto any floor/kitchen/bathroom. Otherwise I'd lock my room less tbh.
When I first moved in I locked my door all the time. Now I only really lock it when I go out and even then I'm not too cautious about it seeing as I lose my keycard constantly. The only time I'm wary to lock my door is when my friends boyfriend's about because he's a bit of a weirdo.

I trust my flatmates and I don't have anything worth stealing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
I live in a house with 6 others and I only lock my door when I'm out the house even though I trust them.
Just feel like it is necessary.
Reply 85
I always locked mine when I lived in student accomodation to avoid invalidating my contents insurance if anything ever was stolen regardless of who by or how.
Original post by Kenny_uk
I always lock mine, just out of habit, especially if I randomly decide to have a shower, since the girls in my flat have a habit if randomly barging into rooms

:facepalm:
i used to lock my door if i left the corridor in halls as people had a habit of not locking the main door, but otherwise i only lock it if i'm gonna be away overnight or longer
Yes. My flatmate has a habit of leaving the front door open. :colonhash:
Reply 89
My door locks automatically, but even if it didn't, I'd still feel more comfortable having it locked every time I left (and some of the time when I was still in the room).

I trust my flatmates, and I don't think they'd care about the door being locked if they knew (people don't go round trying everyone's doors round here).
Reply 90
Always because it's a huge mess. :frown: but otherwise I wouldn't...
I left mine open when I was in the flat, worst thing that happened to me during freshers was my flatmate sellotaping bananas to my wardrobe and writing "KEANE" in huge letters on my wall in post-it notes (I'm not a fan of Keane). It's so weird going into other peoples flats and everyone always has their door shut, most of us have ours open when we're in the flat. Well, the girls do, anyway. Facebook/twitter raped my flatmate last night (instead of revising...woops) because he foolishly left his twitter logged on. Now very paranoid about making sure I'm not logged in because revenge will be swift. I should really lock mine more often, especially since it's a total state and I'd never notice if something went missing anyway. Our main door's always open and the door to the building locks automatically but if you press the buzzer someone will always answer it because we hate the noise. I always lock it when I leave the building, but if I'm going to the kitchen I'll leave it open, I close the door when I'm getting changed and stuff but don't lock it because my flatmates always knock.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arianto
Never knew you could get self catered halls. What was that like? Like a flat but with more people...?

Really? All the halls at my uni are self catered.
Never. After I lost door key number 4 I got sick of paying 10£ to replace it, so I just leave it unlocked.
Reply 94
I only had a lock in first year and I used it religiously for the first few months. I'f leave it open if I was going down to the kitchen for a drink or a snack, but I'd generally lock it when cooking.

In the two years since I haven't had a lock and I trust my housemates far more, so my door is wide open all the time except when I sleep.
Shower or elsewhere around the flat then no.

Go out anywhere else- yes, I trust my flatmates but not anyone who might come in obviously.

At night- yes, I just always have when they option is there.
I lock my door at night and when I leave the flat. If I'm just popping out to the shop or to do my laundry, I tend to leave my door unlocked, though, but only if my flatmates are around. I don't lock it when I'm in the shower, either - the Walk of Faith (also known as the awkward dash where one runs in a towel from the bathroom to their bedroom) would take much longer if I had to fiddle around with my keys! I reckon my flatmates are a trustworthy lot.
My door locks automatically. It uses a keycard :smug:

If it didn't, I'd lock it out of habit, but if I forgot I wouldn't worry. I don't even know everyone in my block -- I just tend to assume that people in Cambridge don't steal.
in first year i locked it if i was going out, and my room mate was out (yes i had to share a room, but she was usually at her boyfriends anyway)

last year i locked my room when i left the house, or if i was downstairs and my mates were in a silly mood, or if some housemates were drinking on my landing (it was a 3 floor house and my room was top floor and the living room was bottom and i didnt trust half my house mates)

this year i lock it if im going home... if i go to uni or town or whatever i dont bother locking it because i live with 2 other people who iv lived with every year at uni. one of my mates even went home for a week and didnt lock her room, nothing happened though... we just trust each other enough.
Reply 99
Original post by A Cat
only at night to stop my male housemates from sexually molesting me in the dark

You were asking for it. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending