The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of American College/Uni for a UK student.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junaid96
Maybe I'll see you there then :smile: You'll (hopefully :tongue:) be going in Sept 2013 yeah? What are you applying for? I'll probably go for Combined Honours (not sure if Arts or SocSci though)

lol yess. you're going to apply there too? :smile: what are your other choices? i want to go in for criminology and sociology.
Original post by brendayissel
lol yess. you're going to apply there too? :smile: what are your other choices? i want to go in for criminology and sociology.

yep, applying to Cambridge, UCL, Durham and probably Nottingham and Exeter. Going for Economics+German courses (ESPS at UCL, for example).

If I don't get Cambridge I think my next option would be Durham :smile:
yep, applying to Cambridge, UCL, Durham and probably Nottingham and Exeter. Going for Economics+German courses (ESPS at UCL, for example).

If I don't get Cambridge I think my next option would be Durham :smile:

so are you from the UK?
so are you from the UK?

Aye :smile:
Aye :smile:

lol oh how cool :smile: are you taking A levels?
Reply 25
Pros: top unis respected across the world.

Cons: ridiculously expensive to go anywhere decent. Makes Britains tuition fees look like pocket change.

<3 x
lol oh how cool :smile: are you taking A levels?

Indeed I am - Maths, Physics, Economics, German, Further Maths :smile:
Indeed I am - Maths, Physics, Economics, German, Further Maths :smile:

lol you seem incredibly smart. I took physics two years ago and found it completely overwhelming, I passed with a B.
lol you seem incredibly smart. I took physics two years ago and found it completely overwhelming, I passed with a B.

Haha thanks :smile:
Haha thanks :smile:

your welcome :smile: btw, what is further maths?
Cons: putting up with the American accent

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
your welcome :smile: btw, what is further maths?

It's literally just that - further study of Maths, heading into more advanced stuff. It's normally required for courses like Maths, and often preferred for things like Physics/Econ :smile:
It's literally just that - further study of Maths, heading into more advanced stuff. It's normally required for courses like Maths, and often preferred for things like Physics/Econ :smile:

so then you dont have a particular math subject class, but rather just a blend of all of them?
so then you dont have a particular math subject class, but rather just a blend of all of them?

What do you mean? We have classes for Maths A-level, and separate ones for Further Maths A-level.

Within those courses, you take multiple modules, e.g. Core modules, which involve calculus, series etc. Mechanics modules (gravity equations etc.), Statistics, Decision Maths etc. and your teachers will split up teaching time for each module (you normally study 1-2 at a time, alternating between lessons, and double if you do F. Maths as well).
What do you mean? We have classes for Maths A-level, and separate ones for Further Maths A-level.

Within those courses, you take multiple modules, e.g. Core modules, which involve calculus, series etc. Mechanics modules (gravity equations etc.), Statistics, Decision Maths etc. and your teachers will split up teaching time for each module (you normally study 1-2 at a time, alternating between lessons, and double if you do F. Maths as well).

oh i get it. i just meant that like, here, we take one math class a year, and its only one subject, for example, last year, i only took calculus, and thats all our focus was on, we didnt learn any other maths.
Reply 35
oh i get it. i just meant that like, here, we take one math class a year, and its only one subject, for example, last year, i only took calculus, and thats all our focus was on, we didnt learn any other maths.

Wow really? Just one focus in maths for the whole year? That must get quite boring :s-smilie: I know Calculus is a large subject but on the Maths and Further Maths courses in the UK, there are lots of modular sets and each one is a 'focus' if you like. You then take that module in an exam to test your proficiency to then be all 'added' up in the end to attain your final grade in maths/further maths. Well at least thats how I think it works :colondollar: I haven't myself started those A-Level courses as I'm just heading into lower sixth form.
Still, I got drawn to this topic as I'm looking to study overseas if possible at CalTech as it looks like a great university with lots of plus sides such as a good education, close relation to NASA (I want to study either astrophysics or aeronaughtical engineering) and it's in california so the Surf is great :biggrin: It's all wrapped into one great package however there are a lot of cons to further education in America as I now see...
Original post by Ali_Ludley
Wow really? Just one focus in maths for the whole year? That must get quite boring :s-smilie: I know Calculus is a large subject but on the Maths and Further Maths courses in the UK, there are lots of modular sets and each one is a 'focus' if you like. You then take that module in an exam to test your proficiency to then be all 'added' up in the end to attain your final grade in maths/further maths. Well at least thats how I think it works :colondollar: I haven't myself started those A-Level courses as I'm just heading into lower sixth form.
Still, I got drawn to this topic as I'm looking to study overseas if possible at CalTech as it looks like a great university with lots of plus sides such as a good education, close relation to NASA (I want to study either astrophysics or aeronaughtical engineering) and it's in california so the Surf is great :biggrin: It's all wrapped into one great package however there are a lot of cons to further education in America as I now see...

hahaha you surf? lol well there's pro and cons to everything, you just have to decide what is best for you. i live in california, but im not even applying to any universities here.
Reply 37
hahaha you surf? lol well there's pro and cons to everything, you just have to decide what is best for you. i live in california, but im not even applying to any universities here.

Yeah I surf when I can, do you? I want to hopefully go to America at least in a university exchange at the least if in the end the money gets to be too much. And like Brendy said, It all depends on what you like, what you want to study etc and then if you're passionate enough, go for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ali_Ludley
Yeah I surf when I can, do you? I want to hopefully go to America at least in a university exchange at the least if in the end the money gets to be too much. And like Brendy said, It all depends on what you like, what you want to study etc and then if you're passionate enough, go for it.

lol i can't surf well, but i think you've got a good idea. (: spending time in any country besides your own would definitely be interesting.
Reply 39
pro:you have a British accent which fascinated by loads of American.:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest