The Student Room Group

Inverse trig graph

Hi,

I got an exam tomorrow and I need to know something about the inverse trig graph. I know the shape and everything, but my teacher said that on the y axis it goes from pi/2 to -pi/2. And on the x axis it goes from pi/2 tp -pi/2.

I thought the x axis should go to infinity to minus infinity? As the tan graph range is from infinity to minus infinity and on an inverse function the domain and the range switch, so the domain (the x axis) on an inverse tan graph should be minus infinity to infinity right?

Or is that there is some strange exam marking point for putting +-pi/2 instead of infinity and minus infinity?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Hi,

I got an exam tomorrow and I need to know something about the inverse trig graph. I know the shape and everything, but my teacher said that on the y axis it goes from pi/2 to -pi/2. And on the x axis it goes from pi/2 tp -pi/2.

I thought the x axis should go to infinity to minus infinity? As the tan graph range is from infinity to minus infinity and on an inverse function the domain and the range switch, so the domain (the x axis) on an inverse tan graph should be minus infinity to infinity right?

Or is that there is some strange exam marking point for putting +-pi/2 instead of infinity and minus infinity?

Thanks

The domain of inverse tan graph is from <x< - \infty < x < \infty and the range is π2<arctanx<π2 \displaystyle - \frac{\pi}{2} < arctanx < \frac{\pi}2 .

Quick Reply

Latest