The Student Room Group

Geography Edexcel Unit 1 (June 14th 2012)

Scroll to see replies

with the 6 mark case studies, can you use more than one example? For example if the question was 'what are the effects of resource extraction' could you talk about mining in brazil and oil extraction in equador or would you have to talk about one of them in more detail?
Reply 81
the mark scheme says they want you to talk about at least 2 places :smile:
Hiya im so confused atm
On my exam entry sheet it says Geographical Skills unit 1 edexcel
And i cant find any past papers to help me study, im also feeling very unprepared!
If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great :smile: xx
Reply 83
Hi there im Tarun and i have the exam too! i have remembered the Named Examples pretty well but im just going over everything again and again.
I just read over them and somehow they seem to stick in my mind well! :biggrin:
So hows everyone feeling about tomorrows exam? im pretty confident but i think i need to read the question properly and take time when doing so!
Reply 84
BTW there are only three past papers on the edexcel page for dynamic planet!
Reply 85
Just finished Maths exam today, and Geography is tommorow... I feel really un prepared, I was revising for maths on the 1 week holiday I had, I did really well tho. :smile:
Reply 86
hopefully the paper will be hard, got a question for everyone.
How have aborigines adapted to living? Need help!
Reply 87
This is the exam for dynamic planet not geographical skills :smile:
Original post by santhiya
Just wondering, what are the advantages and disadvantages of GIS?

advantages
- you can layer all types of data, making it easier to see patterns of distribution
- it's stored digitally so loads can be processed
- you can pick your own layers yourself to cut out "background noise" making it clear

disadvantages
- to make/gather the information in the first place can take a while & is expensive
Reply 89
Original post by lettucesoap
advantages
- you can layer all types of data, making it easier to see patterns of distribution
- it's stored digitally so loads can be processed
- you can pick your own layers yourself to cut out "background noise" making it clear

disadvantages
- to make/gather the information in the first place can take a while & is expensive

thank you soo much :biggrin:
you have helped me loads, good luck for the exam :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by charlottehunts
Hiya im so confused atm
On my exam entry sheet it says Geographical Skills unit 1 edexcel
And i cant find any past papers to help me study, im also feeling very unprepared!
If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great :smile: xx

If you're doing the same exam as me ,(Dynamic Planet) you'll find the past papers on here http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gc...s/default.aspx , the best thing to do is practice the questions, and memorise your case studies, then you'll be fine :smile:
P.S are you sure you're doing edexcel geograpghy spec B and not A? either way just learn your case studies and read over your notes, geography is just very logical if you forget some facts just make them up but make them reasonable - you will be fine! :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by NedSchool
hopefully the paper will be hard, got a question for everyone.
How have aborigines adapted to living? Need help!

They have an intimate knowledge of nature, they are sustainable use only what they need, they are aware that the larvae they eat is high in protein , always on the move so to more fertile land , and also know how to find water underground :smile:
Reply 92
Good luck everyone you will be fine - i'm the fool trying to revise the whole unit within half an hour :wink:
Reply 93
SO NERVOUS, does anyone have an idea if it will be hard or not? like compared to previous exams and patterns. what is coastal retreat? also, how do vegetation has adapted to its extreme climate.
no problem. I'm having SO much trouble describing sites & situation, does anybody have any help they could give?
Reply 95
This exam is easy. It's common knowledge and know a few case studies...
Reply 96
I know pretty much all of it apart from the case studies :/

Can anyone help me?? I really need some help with them, if anyone can just list the case studies that we need to know then I will love you forever! :biggrin:
Reply 97
good luck guys! concentrate, do not become nervous as this will effect your performance in the exam! Wish everyone all the best!:smile:
Reply 98
hi all,
for a global response to climate change would the kyoto protocol be okay?
I'm not sure, if that's enough for 6 marks :/

you could talk about bali, and the earth summin in rio
Reply 99
the mark scheme says they want you to talk about at least 2 places :smile:

really? i read in the mark scheme they simply require at least 2 examples, not places, they said theses examples could be from the same location

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending