Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be overweight with great body, or healthy weight with average body?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you rather be overweight with great body, or healthy weight with average body?
    Guy: overweight with amazing body
    45.54%
    Guy: healthy weight with average body
    8.91%
    Girl: overweight with amazing body
    27.72%
    Girl: healthy weight with average body
    17.82%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING

take the hypothetical situation that you could either be:

a) 'technically' overweight but with an amazing body

b) 'technically' a healthy weight but with an average looking body

'technically' overweight means by BMI standards. so for a) you would have a BMI greater than 25. lets say in example a) you had a BMI of 28.

'technically' a healthy weight means by BMI standards. so for b) you would have a BMI between 18.5 and 25. lets say in example b) you had a BMI of 21.

which would you choose?

asking this question to people in the real world the guys mostly say they would prefer 'overweight' with an amazing body. girls mostly say they would prefer to be a 'healthy weight' with an average looking body, so most girls care very much about the numbers and put their entire faith in a system which is very much flawed.

i have included a poll!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how an overweight person could have a great body. Unless if it's a woman she has HUMANGOUS boobs making her BMI look odd...
    I guess I would go for the amazing body, because if it looks amazing then it shouldn't be too far off from being healthy (well, tone wise..not so much nutrients etc...)..BMI isn't everything...it could be due to muscles or big boobies

Pictures would help here...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    I don't understand how an overweight person could have a great body. Unless if it's a woman she has HUMANGOUS boobs making her BMI look odd...
    I guess I would go for the amazing body, because if it looks amazing then it shouldn't be too far off from being healthy (well, tone wise..not so much nutrients etc...)..BMI isn't everything...it could be due to muscles or big boobies

i hope you read my post thoroughly and i hope you know that muscle is denser than fat!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, slightly overweight people (not including obese people) tend to live longer. See here. The same thing has been found in a few different countries, so it seems solid.
    BMI's ridiculous anyway, given that super-fit people are, according to BMI, unhealthy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't compute, how can someone that isn't healthy who is overweight can be considered as hot?
    Usually, hot bodies are toned, not necessarily thin but if curvy at least toned. And in order to be toned you need to exercise... BMIs do not indicate whether you are healthy or not, they simply indicate how bad your case is (obese, emaciated) if you have healthy issues of some sort.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why compare using BMI, it does not take into account the body muscle amount, it will just count it as mass.

So you "technically" would not be overweight because you have more muscle, but on a BMI scale you would be classed as overweight
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)

(Original post by sitbywolf)
    I can't compute, how can someone that isn't healthy who is overweight can be considered as hot?
    Usually, hot bodies are toned, not necessarily thin but if curvy at least toned. And in order to be toned you need to exercise... BMIs do not indicate whether you are healthy or not, they simply indicate how bad your case is (obese, emaciated) if you have healthy issues of some sort.
    He's basically saying BMI is a flawed method of measuring how healthy/fit you are. According to the BMI scale, someone who looks like this would probably be classed as overweight:

I would say BMI is ok to use for your average joe who doesn't do much exercise, but for most people who are interested in building muscle/some sports it's not a good thing to follow.

To the OP, I'm not really sure. I'd probably rather be average on the BMI scale with an average body with the caveat that I had quite high levels of fitness as I mostly train to get faster times in sport such as rowing or running, and don't give much of a crap about aesthetics.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Typically, my healthiest periods correspond to when I'm closest to being 'overweight' as it means I'm exercising more and putting on more muscle - the only reason I'm not quite overweight now is because I'm crap at eating. If having a similar BMI to, say, an olympic rower or rugby back means I'm 'overweight' then I'm not sure why being overweight carries any negative connotations.

I think people are going to be confused by the 'healthy weight' statement, as it's actually likely that someone technically overweight with a really good body will be healthier than someone lying between 18.5 and 25 BMI whose body isn't remarkable, as having a good body requires exercise.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    First one. The BMI concept is very flawed anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    He's basically saying BMI is a flawed method of measuring how healthy/fit you are. According to the BMI scale, someone who looks like this would probably be classed as overweight:

I would say BMI is ok to use for your average joe who doesn't do much exercise, but for most people who are interested in building muscle/some sports it's not a good thing to follow.

To the OP, I'm not really sure. I'd probably rather be average on the BMI scale with an average body with the caveat that I had quite high levels of fitness as I mostly train to get faster times in sport such as rowing or running, and don't give much of a crap about aesthetics.
    the guy in the pic doesn't seem to have a overwieght reading on the bmi scale. He seems tall enough and not stocky enough to pack the wieght onto the frame. This dude is athletic . . . . his body fat is very low . . . .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING

take the hypothetical situation that you could either be:

a) 'technically' overweight but with an amazing body

b) 'technically' a healthy weight but with an average looking body

'technically' overweight means by BMI standards. so for a) you would have a BMI greater than 25. lets say in example a) you had a BMI of 28.

'technically' a healthy weight means by BMI standards. so for b) you would have a BMI between 18.5 and 25. lets say in example b) you had a BMI of 21.

which would you choose?

asking this question to people in the real world the guys mostly say they would prefer 'overweight' with an amazing body. girls mostly say they would prefer to be a 'healthy weight' with an average looking body, so most girls care very much about the numbers and put their entire faith in a system which is very much flawed.

i have included a poll!
    depends on the muscle mass and body fat percentage.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMan2009)
    the guy in the pic doesn't seem to have a overwieght reading on the bmi scale. He seems tall enough and not stocky enough to pack the wieght onto the frame. This dude is athletic . . . . his body fat is very low . . . .
    Oh right, sorry about that, could you tell me his height, weight and reading on the bmi scale then?

I've actually looked it up, his name is Nick Auger, and he is overweight on the BMI scale. He is 6'3" and 210lbs giving him a BMI of 26.2, despite his very low bf%.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMan2009)
    Unless he's got very long legs which aren't proportionately muscular, he'd certainly be 'overweight'. It doesn't take much at all - I'm pretty close (just under 24 BMI I think), and I'm skinny as hell - pretty low on fat and only marginally more muscle than an average guy.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand my post gets ninja-d by one which is actually much more specific and even identifies the guy. Bleh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Oh right, sorry about that, could you tell me his height, weight and reading on the bmi scale then?

I've actually looked it up, his name is Nick Auger, and he is overweight on the BMI scale. He is 6'3" and 210lbs giving him a BMI of 26.2, despite his very low bf%.
    if the scenario involved having the physique of this fitness model, or the average physique, I'd choose nick's physique..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Unless he's got very long legs which aren't proportionately muscular, he'd certainly be 'overweight'. It doesn't take much at all - I'm pretty close (just under 24 BMI I think), and I'm skinny as hell - pretty low on fat and only marginally more muscle than an average guy.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand my post gets ninja-d by one which is actually much more specific and even identifies the guy. Bleh.
    i just went by looks.... measuring height/weight he may well be overweight on the bmi scale . . . . for this particular scenario, it would be better if body fat and muscle ratio was stated...
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I could be "overweight" due to a high muscle mass I would much prefer this. Weight is just a number, and not really a true measure of how healthy a person is.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    BMI sais I'm obese...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I chose the latter, healthy weight with average body. I just would not have the motivation to maintain all that muscle mass, either in the kitchen or the gym. Bodybuilders have immense dedication that I simply do not have.

Even hypothetically assuming that I'm bound to that body type for life, irrespective of what foods I eat or what weights I lift, I would not want to be that heavy and muscular. My personal fitness goals (endurance athlete, participating in triathlons, philanthropic runs, etc.) are more easily accomplished by someone with an average BMI (but still somewhat muscular) than by someone with a bodybuilder's physique. Appearance doesn't play much of a part in my choice at all. I'm certainly not one to dismiss serious weightlifters as too bulky or impractical; their fitness goals are just different to mine... though admittedly more difficult.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What an absurd question. Would you like to be stacked but have an inherently flawed system score you as overweight or be average and fit in with a flawed system?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    What an absurd question. Would you like to be stacked but have an inherently flawed system score you as overweight or be average and fit in with a flawed system?
    i know that BMI is flawed. i would want to be stacked any day over having a 'healthy' BMI. but you can see that its roughly a 50:50 split between girls and several guys picked 'healthy' BMI and average looks. direct your point towards those people!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.