The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR FSMQ Additional Mathematics Answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZakariaMar
Since this was harder than the June 2011 paper I would say

59= A
48= B

That sounds low to me but I am no expert on this particular qualification.
Reply 61
Original post by Mr M
That sounds low to me but I am no expert on this particular qualification.

It is low but June 2011's boundaries were 62 and 53 for an A and B respectively.

I think you would agree that it was easier to a fair extent, so by that logic I just pushed back the marks a bit. And also it seems as if everyone found it quite hard to support my estimation..
Oh, sorry, It was a stupid question!
Reply 63

59= A
48= B

I sincerely doubt that. Will not go lower than low 60s.

This paper was much easier compared to 2010/2011.

2011 featured binomial distribution involving mutually exclusive - which is not on the syllabus
2010 featured a very tricky second last question (the one about Ali) that you could not really prepare for.

I am guessing A will be in the range of 61-65.

Note that it may be higher as (my school has told me) that we HAVE to declare this exam as high-calibre Universities will be able to see it, whereas previously you did not have to declare your AdMaths paper. This, in my school at least, caused a lot of people who would have done it anyway but were unsure of it to drop out, hence maybe the boundaries will be pushed up.
Reply 64
Original post by cyfer

2011 featured binomial distribution involving mutually exclusive - which is not on the syllabus
2010 featured a very tricky second last question (the one about Ali) that you could not really prepare for.

Note that it may be higher as (my school has told me) that we HAVE to declare this exam as high-calibre Universities will be able to see it, whereas previously you did not have to declare your AdMaths paper. This, in my school at least, caused a lot of people who would have done it anyway but were unsure of it to drop out, hence maybe the boundaries will be pushed up.

It may not have been in the syllabus but it's in the GCSE syllabus a full knowledge of which is assumed before you start the additional maths course. That prob. question was very easy. No way that 2011 was easier. But I guess it's just a matter of opinion so... what do you think you got anyway?
Original post by cyfer

Universities are not particularly interested in FSMQ grades.
Reply 66
Original post by Mr M
Universities are not particularly interested in FSMQ grades.

I hope I have not been horribly misinformed. My school really put the emphasis on FSMQ maths for Imperial/Durham/Oxbridge hopefuls.
Original post by cyfer
I hope I have not been horribly misinformed. My school really put the emphasis on FSMQ maths for Imperial/Durham/Oxbridge hopefuls.

No, they don't care at all. It is a good examination to do though as it bridges the transition from GCSE to A Level. You will find Core 1 really easy.
Reply 68
Original post by cyfer

You don't have to declare it, as it is an extra.
For the 2y = x + 6 or whatever your mark scheme said, I can't remember :tongue:

I left it as y = 1/2 x + 3 - Didn't tidy it up - Will I lose a mark for that?
Reply 70
It may not have been in the syllabus but it's in the GCSE syllabus a full knowledge of which is assumed before you start the additional maths course. That prob. question was very easy. No way that 2011 was easier. But I guess it's just a matter of opinion so... what do you think you got anyway?

I did GCSE Maths 2 years early so I have always been dodgy on the questions involving the easier parts of GCSE Maths due to having forgotten - so perhaps that was just me.

For this test, seeing Mr M's marksheet I believe I got 90+ roughly. This was a huge surprise for me thought as I would usually only hit 80-85 on past papers and I was worrying, so I just decided to enjoy the paper.
Reply 71
Original post by Mr M
No, they don't care at all. It is a good examination to do though as it bridges the transition from GCSE to A Level. You will find Core 1 really easy.

Well that's a shame, I think I should have revised more for other subjects :P. Thanks for the advice.

Do you have any ideas on how difficult further maths is at AS and A2, if aiming for A-A*?
Reply 72

59= A
48= B

I'm really hoping the grade boundaries will be similar. I'd be surprised if I got a B.
Original post by steviep14
For the 2y = x + 6 or whatever your mark scheme said, I can't remember :tongue:

I left it as y = 1/2 x + 3 - Didn't tidy it up - Will I lose a mark for that?

That's fine.
Original post by cyfer
Well that's a shame, I think I should have revised more for other subjects :P. Thanks for the advice.

Do you have any ideas on how difficult further maths is at AS and A2, if aiming for A-A*?

Why study more for other subjects? Universities are even less interested in them. If you are planning to take maths and further maths then your attention was in the right place.

I can't comment on how difficult you will find further maths but I expect you will find the difference between maths and further maths less marked than the difference between GCSE and Additional Maths.
Reply 75
Can we talk about grade boundaries please

Having add maths is just good because it prepares you for as level and also just looks good if you did an additional subject other than GCSEs. For example im doing add french too. Now...

Grade boundary predictions?
Original post by Loopset
For example im doing add french too.

Never heard of it. Tell me more.
Reply 77
Thanks for the mark scheme, it's really settled my nerves about how well I did. I think I might be borderline B/A, which is okay considering my teacher hadn't really helped much. I learnt most of it from the revision guide and past papers :P I wasn't so bothered about this paper because I'd prefer to focus on the actual GCSE, which is in about two weeks time, but it'd be nice to secure a good grade.
Reply 78
Original post by cyfer

Are you sure that we have to declare it? I was unaware of this. Will the top universities look down on a low grade on this?
Reply 79
Original post by Loopset
Can we talk about grade boundaries please

Having add maths is just good because it prepares you for as level and also just looks good if you did an additional subject other than GCSEs. For example im doing add french too. Now...

Grade boundary predictions?

You can do additional French? What exam board???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending