The Student Room Group

Has anyone not been able to apply for a NHS bursary yet?

I'm taking Adult Nursing at The University of Manchester in September and haven't been forwarded any information about the NHS bursary from them yet. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same situation as me, where they haven't been able to apply yet and specifically, if you know if Manchester Uni have sent out arrangements for the bursary to any other nursing students yet?
Thanks guys xx
Reply 1
I'm doing Occupational Therapy at Sheff Hallam in Sept and still not had any info through either about the bursary. I rang up a couple of weeks ago and they said they should be sending info out in June. Hopefully they will send something soon as I want to try and get sorted!! x
Reply 2
The NHS Student bursaries facebook page says if you don't hear by the end of June then ring up or something.. im getting impatient myself, just wanted it sorted sooner rather than later!! x
Reply 3
Just some advice to everyone, make sure that you have some savings that you can use when you first start on your courses. My cohort at Derby last year didn't get our first bursary payment until 6 weeks after we started, even though we were quoted a few days after enrollment. I ended up having to pay for my rent and food out of my overdraft and it can get a bit tricky.

Hope you all get things sorted soon. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jodiepallagrass
I'm taking Adult Nursing at The University of Manchester in September and haven't been forwarded any information about the NHS bursary from them yet. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same situation as me, where they haven't been able to apply yet and specifically, if you know if Manchester Uni have sent out arrangements for the bursary to any other nursing students yet?
Thanks guys xx

Hi, i'll be studying nursing at manchester in September too. I emailed them about the bursary and they said that they had forwarded everyones info off to NHS bursaries and we just have to wait to hear from them but it should be soon. Hope this helps.
Keri
Reply 5
My uni said they will be sending out info in June. Apparently you can apply now without the info from uni, but I'm just going to wait.
Reply 6
Hi.

I am going to do OT at York st John I phoned nhs bursaries and they said that you can apply now and they will then reassess and add on extra weeks allowances once they have had confirmation from the uni.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
Thanks for your replies everyone :smile: I was just worried because everything for student finance has already had to be in and it seems like they've left it a bit late. I'll probably give them until the end of this month and then just ring up NHS bursaries if I still haven't heard anything.
Original post by keriob
Hi, i'll be studying nursing at manchester in September too. I emailed them about the bursary and they said that they had forwarded everyones info off to NHS bursaries and we just have to wait to hear from them but it should be soon. Hope this helps.
Keri

Do you know anything about the scholarship/bursary things from Manchester uni itself? I think I might qualify for one but it says that they find out if people are eligible using the figures of household income they've provided to student finance... but obviously because we're doing nursing the only funding I can get from student finance is non-income assessed so they won't be able to get any info on my household income from them. I tried e-mailing the uni about it but they must have got confused because they thought I was asking about the NHS bursaries.
Do you know anything about the scholarship/bursary things from Manchester uni itself? I think I might qualify for one but it says that they find out if people are eligible using the figures of household income they've provided to student finance... but obviously because we're doing nursing the only funding I can get from student finance is non-income assessed so they won't be able to get any info on my household income from them. I tried e-mailing the uni about it but they must have got confused because they thought I was asking about the NHS bursaries.

NHS students don't tend to qualify for university scholarships, as we don't provide income assessment information, and they think we get a lot from the NHSBSA as we get our fees paid.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
NHS students don't tend to qualify for university scholarships, as we don't provide income assessment information, and they think we get a lot from the NHSBSA as we get our fees paid.

This is what I hate about the course. I'm not sure about everyone else but I really don't get as much money in loan/bursary as I would if I were on a normal course. I'd rather have the debt of the fees 'cause then at least I'd have enough money to live on to get me through the course :/
This is what I hate about the course. I'm not sure about everyone else but I really don't get as much money in loan/bursary as I would if I were on a normal course. I'd rather have the debt of the fees 'cause then at least I'd have enough money to live on to get me through the course :/

I agree, I suppose they think that because we are better off in the long run (i.e. having less debt), they don't need to provide as much in the short term. If I were on a normal course, not including a fee loan, I would get about £7000 worth of loans and grants to live on; as it is, I get about £4500. I have to keep borrowing money from relatives and working all the holidays just to break even. :frown:
Reply 12
Oh good I was worrying about this too as I still haven't received anything and heard they send stuff end of May but if it can take til end of June that's alright!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13

I was thinking the same thing too. I cant remember where i read it but i was looking through the manchester uni website and it said somewhere that if you are receiving NHS bursaries then you aren't eligible for any of the manchester bursaries. I'm just going to try and email manchester at some point and ask them, because its all a bit confusing. Hopefully i will get a bit more information out of them.

Quick Reply

Latest