Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tougher penalties for animal abuse

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just saw an appalling article about a poor dog who was rescued within hours of starvation.

I have as much contempt for people who abuse animals as I do for people who abuse other people. It's the ultimate form of cowardice.

These sick bastards deserve proper punishments, not just token fines and nominal prison sentences (if that). 5-10 years imprisonment would be a start.

Anyone else agree?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do agree completely. Vulnerability of domestic animals is an issue for society, and the criminal justice system should reflect this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    I just saw an appalling article about a poor dog who was rescued within hours of starvation.

I have as much contempt for people who abuse animals as I do for people who abuse other people. It's the ultimate form of cowardice.

These sick bastards deserve proper punishments, not just token fines and nominal prison sentences (if that). 5-10 years imprisonment would be a start.

Anyone else agree?
    Couldn't agree more. People who kill, physically abuse or neglect animals should be given the same sentences, as far as I'm concerned, as those who commit the same crimes against other people.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-18167422.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/5180776.stm.

4 and 5 months respectively for disgusting cruelty.

It's also been shown that animal abuse premeditates psychopathic tendencies towards humans.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    Couldn't agree more. People who kill, physically abuse or neglect animals should be given the same sentences, as far as I'm concerned, as those who commit the same crimes against other people.
    so rat poison, mouse traps and fly swatters should all be banned?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    There is a difference between relatively humane pest prevention and mistreating animals that trust/ rely on you for fun.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about the meat industry? People become (rightly) outraged when others neglect domestic animals, but wouldn't think twice about tucking into a bacon sarnie. All forms of unnecessary animal suffering should be minimised, and the perpetrators punished.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about cats, dogs etc, as well you know. Not vermin.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about cats, dogs etc, as well you know. Not vermin.
    so some animals are more equal than others, I get it now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between relatively humane pest prevention and mistreating animals that trust/ rely on you for fun.
    so you've gone from
    People who kill, physically abuse or neglect animals should be given the same sentences, as far as I'm concerned, as those who commit the same crimes against other people.
    Notice the bold- so you've gone from killing animals is absolutely abhorrent to 'well in some cases it's alright'

and humane? there's nothing humane about mouse traps. 'Here little mouse, look here's some food WHACK! now you're trapped and are going to struggle until you die of stress or starvation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in favour of pest control. I am however, 100% against animal rights hypocrites who say crimes against animals should be punished the same as crimes against humans...but only on the cute animals that don't annoy people.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    so some animals are more equal than others, I get it now.
    If the farmer Mr Jones had treated those animals properly in the first place there would have been no need for the proletarian farmyard uprising and all the subsequent corruption.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in favour of pest control. I am however, 100% against animal rights hypocrites who say crimes against animals should be punished the same as crimes against humans...but only on the cute animals that don't annoy people.
    Both those are the brilliant ones! "Save the dolphins, leave the cows on their own"!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christofferz)
    Both those are the brilliant ones! "Save the dolphins, leave the cows on their own"!
    This thread is about cruelty, not whether it's ever justified to kill animals.

It's one thing to kill animals to provide food, another to torture them for entertainment as happens routinely in fox hunting and bullfighting across the world, and by sick idiots who abuse domestic animals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This thread is about cruelty, not whether it's ever justified to kill animals.

It's one thing to kill animals to provide food, another to torture them for entertainment as happens routinely in fox hunting and bullfighting across the world, and by sick idiots who abuse domestic animals.
    To believe that cruelty isn't common in these death camps for cows is very naive...

But of course, tougher penalties for animal abuse, I'm all for it. There's no reason why should get away easily with such a crime, it's a living creature, just as humans, the only difference is that humans can defend themselves.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know when you kill rats at the start of Oblivion? It eventually leads you to killing people (weird analogy, though nothing to do with video games indoctrinating kids into violence).

If you're a mild psycho you would want to start torturing more vulnerable creatures. Then you want to see the suffering in a more understanding way and the only way you can see extreme suffering is to do it to humans. So it's probably best to kill it before it lays eggs, imo.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I saw anyone abusing my pet my blood would boil, and I wouldn't be responsible for my actions..
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you propose we afford to jail all these people?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pest control is a job and there are some elements of that job you need to be licensed for such as being able to use pesticides - killing animals, unless you are a vet and euthanising them for humane reasons, will never be right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so you've gone from

Notice the bold- so you've gone from killing animals is absolutely abhorrent to 'well in some cases it's alright'

and humane? there's nothing humane about mouse traps. 'Here little mouse, look here's some food WHACK! now you're trapped and are going to struggle until you die of stress or starvation.

I know exactly what you're saying here, I eat meat but I love animals. As a society we've become separated from the actual process that a living creature goes through to become our food. Maybe people shouldn't eat meat if they wouldn't kill the animal or at least watch the slaughter.

It's as great thing that animal welfare has become a lot more important to us but there is a kind of hypocrisy where we send death threats for some cruelty while happily munching on a KFC or eating a halal meal.

I'm guilty of it myself too, seeing those stories makes me dislike humanity and I agree they need extremely harsh treatment but I'll still eat meat even if it is responsibly farmed.

I noticed a mouse problem in my garage recently and bought a live trap, checked it after a day and there was a mouse in there. I was shocked (no idea why) and worried about how long it had been in there so I coerced a mate into driving me to some local woodland to release it.

Is that totally ridiculous?

Maybe but it didn't stop us going for some Kentucky fried cruelty later.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "non-humane" mouse traps are designed to break the creature's neck a fairly quick and painless end, it is the humane traps which have glue that keep an animal until it starves to death.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.