The Student Room Group

Considering a career with McDonalds - advice??

Might sound stupid, but considering a career with McDonalds/fast food.

I've heard the stories of people joining as Crew Members and working their way up to managers positions pretty quickly which would be good. I like dealing with customers and being in fast paced environments so it does look to be a good option.

But there's still that doubt in my mind, that 'it's McDonalds' and isn't a full time job.

What to do?
Reply 1
Each to their own, so it's difficult to say. However I'd personally advise you to think of it more as a stepping stone to something better. That said, McDonalds is obviously a huge company which I'm sure has lots of fantastic positions, but I don't personally believe working within the actual restaurant would be very fulfilling.
Reply 2
mcdonalds once you get past frier jockey or burger monkey and it to management is very well paid
from what I hear, so I say go for

skills you will gain
working to set targets
mass volume
there are many more and you can move to what is seen as a better class of high volume establishment
and on to area management or corporate
First, you need to get a crewmember job there. Then you need to like it enough to want to get good at it - all of it. You then need to get good at it. Then you tart to think whether there is a future you might want to go for.

I've worked for them and have a couple of friends who are management. They worked damned hard and put in a lot of hours, but none of them thought anything of a career until they had worked there and got to understand the basics. Take it one step at a time and get a job there first before you plan on running the show.

Quick Reply