The Student Room Group

Mechanics 2 (M2) Exam 22nd June 2012 - OCR (Not MEI)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Haha, at least you have someone to blame directly if the paper turns out to be a nightmare =P
Reply 21
Indeed I do! lol

I guarantee its gonna be a nightmare knowing him lol >.<

gl all ;]
Does anyone know how to do this maths help.png
Reply 23
Anyone got the Jan 12 paper?

^ Will answer that tommorow morning when I've got the time.
Reply 24
Original post by Anon 17
Anyone got the Jan 12 paper?

^ Will answer that tommorow morning when I've got the time.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1981152

A couple of posts into this thread.
Reply 25
Cheers, gonna try to find a mark scheme - If I do I'll be sure to post it.
Reply 26
I hope the last question is doable!

That always seems to be a killer for me. Anyone else think this?
Reply 27
I personally think all of it is a killer. I'm not feeling at all confident about this paper. :frown:
Original post by Femto
I hope the last question is doable!

That always seems to be a killer for me. Anyone else think this?

totally agree! meh, i hope its not on centres of mass -.-
I think the most important things in mechanics are:

1. Always redraw diagrams, show ALL forces, most mistakes are made by not recognising all forces, the visual aspect is crucial for any mechanics paper.

2. Write down any information the question gives, this may help you visualise the problem better (especially with suvat type questions). Also, any formulas revelant to the question you can think of.

obviously you don't have to, thats just my personal experience on where i've made mistakes. M2 is typically an A2 Maths exam and one that single maths students don't look forward to.

good luck everyone
Reply 30
My main problem is that I keep getting cos and sin mixed up when resolving. >.< Anyone got any tips as to remembering which one to use?
Reply 31
Original post by goggy
My main problem is that I keep getting cos and sin mixed up when resolving. >.< Anyone got any tips as to remembering which one to use?

Do you have an example of where you find it difficult?
Reply 32
Original post by Femto
Do you have an example of where you find it difficult?

When finding moments in particular. :s
Original post by goggy

Remember that "through" the angle is Cos. If the force you are resolving in the direction is effectively being moved through the angle, you use Cos, if not, its sin.
http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_11_jun/ocr_66476_pp_11_jun_gce_4729.pdf?

On PAper June 2011 (posted above) Q7i) could someone explain to me why the reaction force is at the point V :s-smilie:
That was the only reason i couldnt do that question and i really can't work out why its at V (maybe i'm being really stupid and M2 has just got to my head :/)
Reply 35
Original post by Matt osbourne

On PAper June 2011 (posted above) Q7i) could someone explain to me why the reaction force is at the point V :s-smilie:
That was the only reason i couldnt do that question and i really can't work out why its at V (maybe i'm being really stupid and M2 has just got to my head :/)

I'd love to tell you why but I didn't understand that question either. After reading the examiners report though, it seems that the majority of people had trouble placing the reaction force.

I just took moments about P to get the answer.
Yeh its frustrating because i've been getting 65+ in papers but that paper was horrible and i only got 59 being generous with method marks :/
Original post by Matt osbourne

Femto

Because in 7i) , as F increases, the cone will tip about point V! You take the reaction force at its pivot, as due to F it will move about point V.

7ii) using the same logic you take the reaction force about P
Ahah i knew i was missing out something simple, thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 39
I only started revising for this yesterday morning.. It's not looking good =/
I keep messing up with Reaction forces and Things moving up/down slopes.. and Pulleys.

Quick Reply

Latest