Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will evolution make religion extinct?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will the human race evolve beyond religious beliefs?

Religion is declining as the years go by, with fewer and fewer attending church; and even fewer following the rules and regulations of their chosen faith. It appears that as people become more educated in science, they are accepting it to be the most likely basis on which to imagine the existence of the universe and themselves.

Hypothetically, if we were to encounter a highly advanced civilization (more so than our own), would there be any likelihood of them having something that resembles human religion? I doubt it very much. It's more likely that they'd be highly scientific with their belief system, simply because their greater understanding of science has left no room for religion or God.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Will the human race evolve beyond religious beliefs?

Religion is declining as the years go by, with fewer and fewer attending church; and even fewer following the rules and regulations of their chosen faith. It appears that as people become more educated in science, they are accepting it to be the most likely basis on which to imagine the existence of the universe and themselves.

Hypothetically, if we were to encounter a highly advanced civilization (more so than our own), would there be any likelihood of them having something that resembles human religion? I doubt it very much. It's more likely that they'd be highly scientific with their belief system, simply because their greater understanding of science has left no room for religion or God.
    Well, that's interesting, you automatically assume that science and belief in a deity are incompatible. I'd love to know why that is.

Beyond that, until the last sentence, you appeared to be talking about the ritual aspects of religion, as opposed to the simple belief in a deity, and I think that adherence to ritual will always fluctuate and we will simply substitute one ritual for another.

Evolution, however, will not do anything to a belief in a deity and unless science can actually disprove one, the belief will survive.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There will always be the desperate.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    I strongly believe Religion is soon to be held only by a very small minority. It has seen and passed the time it was at its strongest, now we value scientific evidence and what we can geniunely see and touch as 'real'. Whilst there is still a strong religous presence on Earth, inevitably people will drift away from it as we advance as a species.

However, as I discussed with a few friends the other day, at the time we begin colonising other planets, I think religion will once again make an uprising. Furthermore when we make contact with an alien race, I also think there will be a surge in religion. At present, however, people are now thinking outside the box rather then dismissing anything they can't explain as "Oh, God done it!"

We've touched the moon, we've medically advanced our own longevity and we're advancing technologically today at a greater rate then at any other time during humanity's brief stint on this planet, religion's hayday has been and gone and the past one hundred years have shown that its Science's time for the limelight.

Science has explained answers to questions that religion simply said, "This happens, deal with it!" too. In addition, Science has shown the sheer impossibility of many of the Religious Scripture's key areas; Noah's Ark, as one prime example, the birth of the universe as another, etc. It is by that point that I do not believe Science and Religion can walk hand in hand, for one to superceed the other, the other must be operating in an area of lower influence. When Galileo proved the Earth wasn't the centre of the universe, religion's popularity at the time made him the subject of ridicule and even imprisonment. Similarly, Darwin's shared discoveries about Evolution were also met with similar disdain, however by a much smaller minority and its key to note that, at the time, science was stepping into its own so much that a royal institute had been set up to ensure its consistant advancement.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. In 2010 there were about 2.3 billion 'Christians' in the world which was 300 million up from 2005 and I think it's estimated that by 2050 there will be 3 billion. I don't put the word in inverted commas to be rude, it's just that I think a lot of people call themselves Christians when their beliefs and actions don't correlate with what they're claiming to be or they don't fully understand it. I honestly can remember a girl in my Maths class in sixth form saying "I'm a Christian, but I don't believe in God"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	152811

Apparently Islam is growing too. To be honest I think we as humans will always believe in something greater than ourselves even if the current religions fade away - I'm sure they'd just be replaced by new ones. There's always going to be a degree of uncertainty and that uncertainty allows people to create faith / belief.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just because there is a scientific explanation for certain things ,that were previously unexplained, doesn't necessarily mean that God becomes obsolete. Religions aren't claiming that science doesn't exist. Rather, they state that God created through the mechanisms of science.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Despite many saying that science has overtaken religion science still cannot explain many phenomena especially science cannot prove that god does or does not exist and science still has not agreed on how the universe was created.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamweaver)
    Just because there is a scientific explanation for certain things ,that were previously unexplained, doesn't necessarily mean that God becomes obsolete. Religions aren't claiming that science doesn't exist. Rather, they state that God created through the mechanisms of science.
    Sorry, but imprisoning a man and slandering another based upon their scientific facts is akin to saying it doesn't exist.

That's just two examples; people in the world will kill you if you say that you don't believe in their Religion, ergo they must surely not believe in Science as in many cases science provides a direct counter to Religious statements. Not that they are two opposing sides, but as I said earlier, science can no more succeed in an area with strong religious ties then a religious fundamentalist will be listened to in a Scientific Academy for banging on about a man on a cloud bumbling around for six days and creating every atom we see around us...

Whilst, as another user pointed out, they are not always so divided; many top scientists believe in some form of organised Religion and many other scientists also believe that, through their findings, it is too much of a coincidence to have just happened so there must be a higher power behind it.

However, in most cases science and religion are non-compatible and therefore one must, in many cases, step over the other.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insert_username)
    Despite many saying that science has overtaken religion science still cannot explain many phenomena especially science cannot prove that god does or does not exist and science still has not agreed on how the universe was created.

It has been practically proven that a cataclysmic event did occur some numerous billions of years ago. Reflections of the event are still seen by the super-telescopes of Earth and in orbit today and among other evidence there is a landslide majority of key scientists whom believe that an event similar or exactly like the Big Bang is described did, in fact, take place.

Science has pictures and visible evidence to support the theory, many organised Religions claim a beareded fellow did it all. Frankly, I know which I'd rather believe.

Science can dispute the evidence of God's work on Earth, however. For example, going by Christinanity alone, it was claimed God sent a great flood; no evidence of a global flood has ever been found aside from the Yacutan Penisular Metoer when it wiped out the dinosaurs, the tidal wave produced by the shockwave originated far from the actual impact, given the waters close by were simply turned to steam in an instant, but it doesn't reach global levels and, in fact, merely extends a hundred or so miles from the circle range outside the imact zone.

Just one example.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh the irony.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evolutionary, religion is a method for humans to cope with their own mortality. So no.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, an asteroid will make religion extinct
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamweaver)
    I'm afraid many scientific breakthroughs are indeed rendering God obsolete. The more science disproves the Bible the more metaphorical Christians seem to declare their holy book to be. It comes to the point where even they must seriously question the point of a book which is wrong in just about every respect - thus rendering God obsolete.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insert_username)

Just becase science cannot explain everything doesn't mean that it cannot be scientifically explained or that God did it. Unlike religion, science does not profess to be able to answer everything. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    Evolutionary, religion is a method for humans to cope with their own mortality. So no.
    Interesting view. Still though, if at some point in the future religion becomes impossible to believe in - logically - then surely people will not hold onto the belief just because they want to believe in something more. Science has largely taught us that not everything needs to exist for a reason.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Interesting view. Still though, if at some point in the future religion becomes impossible to believe in - logically - then surely people will not hold onto the belief just because they want to believe in something more. Science has largely taught us that not everything needs to exist for a reason.
    I certainly hope so; I believe it will have to happen one day when science progresses. I assume people will always wonder where everything started though... it's a tricky one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I assume people will always wonder where everything started though... it's a tricky one.
    This is probably mankind's biggest question isn't it? Science suggests the Big Bang, and religious people seem to now be suggesting that God may have created the Big Bang. Having read Hawking's books, I think it's very true when he implies that religion somewhat undermines its own argument here. Adding God to the equation seems to create more questions than answers, as no matter how you look at it, it adds the new question of "who created God?". For religious people to suggest that nothing created God, "he just exists", is a bit hypocritical when you consider their disdain at the scientific view that it's possible for nothing to have created the Big Bang. Hawking suggests that it's possible for the Big Bang to just spontaneously happen from nothing. He also argues that this series of events, whilst appearing incomprehensible to normal human experience, is very much in keeping with the laws of mathematics and quantum mechanics.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religion is growing so if anything evolution will make atheism disappear.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im a Christian, and I think science is a good thing. All the laws of physics and chemistry are there for a reason. Also I find it interesting so I think more knowledge in science is an excellent thing and no religion will never go, people go to church less because they have busier lives and it's a choice of going to church or finishing your project for work. Just because they don't go as often as when everyone lived in small towns in the older days doesn't mean people are any less religious in beliefs. I haven't been to church in ages cause of studying.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    This is probably mankind's biggest question isn't it? Science suggests the Big Bang, and religious people seem to now be suggesting that God may have created the Big Bang. Having read Hawking's books, I think it's very true when he implies that religion somewhat undermines its own argument here. Adding God to the equation seems to create more questions than answers, as no matter how you look at it, it adds the new question of "who created God?". For religious people to suggest that nothing created God, "he just exists", is a bit hypocritical when you consider their disdain at the scientific view that it's possible for nothing to have created the Big Bang. Hawking suggests that it's possible for the Big Bang to just spontaneously happen from nothing. He also argues that this series of events, whilst appearing incomprehensible to normal human experience, is very much in keeping with the laws of mathematics and quantum mechanics.
    Yet te existence of God would seem to explain all questions of science easily? Example: why are there laws of physics? God.
    That's more why people believe I think?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.