Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is this symptoms medical term?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't do medicine, I'm just enquiring myself. What is it called when you feel short of breath, like that there is pressure on your chest. The pain and breathlessness is in a sort of triangle area inbetween your ribs where your diaphragm is, and it's a reaction to codeine/doxycycline? I've had this reaction before and there was a medical term for it but I can't remember. I've tried searching for it but can't find it.

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to dyspnea? Maybe respiratory depression?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I don't do medicine, I'm just enquiring myself. What is it called when you feel short of breath, like that there is pressure on your chest. The pain and breathlessness is in a sort of triangle area inbetween your ribs where your diaphragm is, and it's a reaction to codeine/doxycycline? I've had this reaction before and there was a medical term for it but I can't remember. I've tried searching for it but can't find it.

Thanks!
    Possibly this? Based on a quick google.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...s_in_the_chest
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    Are you referring to dyspnea? Maybe respiratory depression?
    No.. I don't know how to explain. It was in that triangle area that's open at the front of your ribs, I found it hard to take a breath in and I was doubled over. Its more specific than the medical term for breathlessness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Costochondritis? It's where the ribs become inflamed where they join to your sternum, causing irritation to the solar plexus "that triangle bit" and pain when breathing.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marky--mark)
    Costochondritis? It's where the ribs become inflamed where they join to your sternum, causing irritation to the solar plexus "that triangle bit" and pain when breathing.
    No it's not that either. Sorry if I'm annoying everyone! Wish I could remember what it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it's not that either. Sorry if I'm annoying everyone! Wish I could remember what it is.
    Don't worry about annoying people! It's 3.20am, if we were worried about being annoyed by people online, we'd all be in bed.

Could it have been epigastricsolar plexus pain?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No worries. My guess was based on common symptoms with codeine, but other than those mentioned, I've got no idea. Maybe an anaphylactic reaction to the drug, with hyperactivity/inflammation of the airways? Though that's even more common and I'm pretty sure that's not it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marky--mark)
    Don't worry about annoying people! It's 3.20am, if we were worried about being annoyed by people online, we'd all be in bed.

Could it have been epigastricsolar plexus pain?

(Original post by Wolfy^)
    No worries. My guess was based on common symptoms with codeine, but other than those mentioned, I've got no idea. Maybe an anaphylactic reaction to the drug, with hyperactivity/inflammation of the airways? Though that's even more common and I'm pretty sure that's not it.
    Epigastric sounds the most familiar, although I looked it up, and it just seems to be a posh name for heartburn which it definitely isn't. This is annoying me haha. It would just be useful to know it as I have a hospital appointment coming up and I want to be able to accurately describe how I have an allergic reaction to these medicines.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pleuritic?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    This question really shouldn't be in this forum.

Don't bother using fancy medical terms when you go to the doctor, because you will probably misuse them, it won't accurately describe your symptoms or the doctor listening to you won't take what you say as face value.

Just describe the symptoms in plain English, it will be much more helpful than trying to use medical terms.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 31, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.