The Student Room Group

Why do you want to go to university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Muddy_Hands
Thanks :smile: You staying up north or doing a runner like me?

Doing a runner! Hopefully I will be Bristol bound. :smile:
Original post by beccafairy
the love of my subject, and wanting to be taught about it! also to meet people with similar interests to me, and to live independently in a city that excites me. :smile:

Sums it up perfectly for me :smile:
Mix of amazingly passionate about the subject, only thing I can see myself doing with my life as a career, want to get away from home, meet new people and be independent.
Reply 23
I'll be doing a completely new subject, so even though I do (now) love my subject, that wasn't the reason. I suppose there's something wishy-washy about 'potential', but in essence it was obvious to me that I'm not suited for a more practical future and so university works as a basic stepping-stone in the general direction I should be going in - not necessarily academia, but likely to be a job that wants a degree of some sort
Reply 24
No idea what I wanna do career-wise yet, and Maths seems to open a lot of doors so gonna roll with that. I just don't feel ready to go straight into work when there are so many things I'm interested in learning about.
Reply 25
Original post by LordBradburn
Arrogant much.

Please tell me why I should deny the fact I am intelligent. The OP asked why the persons of TSR want to go to university, and, as a person of TSR, I gave my completely honest answer. I don't go about this forum boasting my intelligence, nor do I try to belittle others because they may not be as clever. Furthermore, I totally accept that there are many others who are more intelligent than myself. As a human being, I wish to make the most of what I have and take the best possible opportunities in life, and as someone who is perfectly capable of pursuing a university degree, yes, I do believe that it would be a waste of fourteen years in this country's education system not to go to university.

If you have any more issues concerning my honesty or my opinion itself, feel free to PM me! I would be more than happy to discuss this with you.
I enjoy the subject, but the motivation for me to go to uni had to be more than that; I wouldn't pay thousands just to further my enjoyment, that can come from reading books in your own time, I need the degree to pursue a career in the field.
Original post by Aquar
Please tell me why I should deny the fact I am intelligent. The OP asked why the persons of TSR want to go to university, and, as a person of TSR, I gave my completely honest answer. I don't go about this forum boasting my intelligence, nor do I try to belittle others because they may not be as clever. Furthermore, I totally accept that there are many others who are more intelligent than myself. As a human being, I wish to make the most of what I have and take the best possible opportunities in life, and as someone who is perfectly capable of pursuing a university degree, yes, I do believe that it would be a waste of fourteen years in this country's education system not to go to university.

If you have any more issues concerning my honesty or my opinion itself, feel free to PM me! I would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

^Pretty sure you do and have!
Reply 28
Student Loans. Helps me to buy & sell coke.
Reply 29
Already been to University, but I went to expand my mind, study a subject that I love and to feel like I've accomplished something :smile:
I just want a degree and get education over with.
Original post by Tokarief
I just want a degree and get education over with.

Why do you want one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh, I don't even need uni at all. I went mostly for the experience and that is the sad truth.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Why do you want one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without a degree you are pretty much ****ed on the job market and I have no other interests or passion for anything else to pursue. A degree would open more doors in general and I don't want to waste time searching for what I like - in the end, I hate learning. I don't care about uni experience, we're all here for a degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
i love maths and uni is kinda the only option for me...
i don't REALLY want to go, i'm not resenting the thought or anything but i cant make friends unless i have like 6 years (my degree will be 3) and if something becomes too hard i stress WAY too hard

still though, i love maths and thats the main reason why i dont mind going to uni, studying what i like
Reply 35
It was love of a subject
I still love that subject, but the relationship is strained
Oh and I had little option but uni, few jobs around here I could get or would want, academically "talented" (read: I can memorise things and do well in exams) but practically lacking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Without a degree you are pretty much ****ed on the job market and I have no other interests or passion for anything else to pursue. A degree would open more doors in general and I don't want to waste time searching for what I like - in the end, I hate learning. I don't care about uni experience, we're all here for a degree.

Then you get to he summer of graduation with no set job and £££ in debt. If you're going to be at university you may as well make the most of the experiences that will help you stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The advice I have from the home education community is that unless you need a degree for a particular career (such as medicine, law, or dentistry) then you are usually better off learning a trade instead. Otherwise, ask yourself these questions:

1. Am I going to university for the knowledge and the education or am I going to university in order to obtain a piece of paper with a grade on it?

2. If universities were purely educational and did not award degrees or certificates in subjects (apart from a few courses for professional careers) then would I pay £9000 a year for this education?

Anybody who is going to university just to learn about a subject will probably be disappointed to know that university is one step away from self education. The £9000 a year in tuition fees will buy you plenty of books for your chosen subject. As an educational resource, university is quite poor value for money. Degrees involving practical work that is difficult to do at home, such as chemistry, are better value for money from an educational perspective than purely theoretical subjects.
Original post by Arran90
The advice I have from the home education community is that unless you need a degree for a particular career (such as medicine, law, or dentistry) then you are usually better off learning a trade instead. Otherwise, ask yourself these questions:

1. Am I going to university for the knowledge and the education or am I going to university in order to obtain a piece of paper with a grade on it?

2. If universities were purely educational and did not award degrees or certificates in subjects (apart from a few courses for professional careers) then would I pay £9000 a year for this education?

Anybody who is going to university just to learn about a subject will probably be disappointed to know that university is one step away from self education. The £9000 a year in tuition fees will buy you plenty of books for your chosen subject. As an educational resource, university is quite poor value for money. Degrees involving practical work that is difficult to do at home, such as chemistry, are better value for money from an educational perspective than purely theoretical subjects.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arran90

Like I said, I'm just here to get it over with. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that "degree doesn't matter anyway" ********. Otherwise we wouldn't have interviews and the first thing that employers are looking at is education level. I'm glad that you've all found your way out, but I'm not some Steve Jobs or other innovative persona to survive without a diploma. It's mandatory, just like every other school.

There are people who might like studying and are having the time of their lives. I'm not one of those people, I do it because I have no other choice. I don't understand how can anyone say they like uni, honestly.

Original post by Arran90

Not really. Then again, universities would be pointless since you can't prove to your employer what you've learned during your time at uni without a certificate.

I don't care about education. I'm not a person who's driven by knowledge - I just want to have a steady job and live the normal life and figure out what I want from life by then instead of wasting time. Knowing myself if I didn't go to uni I'd still be living at home, playing video games. That's life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending