The Student Room Group

Do A2 exams carry more 'weight' than AS exams?

If so, how does it work exactly?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Nope =o 50% AS UMS, and 50% A2 UMS - generally both 300UMS each, making an alevel out of 600UMS. Grade boundaries are percentages: eg A:80% => 480UMS
Nope. They're both worth 50% of the grade, either 200UMS or 300UMS each.
Although, to get an A* you need 90% in the A2 papers, and 80% in the AS. Or at least that's my understanding.
Original post by EierVonSatan
Not quite, 90% in A2 and 80% overall (not at AS) :smile:

Close enough.
Original post by WillowSummers
Although, to get an A* you need 90% in the A2 papers, and 80% in the AS. Or at least that's my understanding.

Original post by Super Mario 64
If so, how does it work exactly?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Willowsummers that's a little off.

A2 and AS both hold equal weighting, each worth the same number of UMS points (300, I believe).

An A*, however, has specific requirements:
1) 80% overall
2) 90% in A2

So, you could get 70% in AS and 90% in A2 and you've got an A*, or even 60 then 100. You cannot, however, get 100% and then 89% - you'd end up with an A, albeit an A with more UMS points than a normal A* :smile: The reason is that unis want to be able to filter on the more challenging stuff.

So if you're not after an A*, they're both the same and you may as well go for maximum points in AS to help you with A2. If you are going for an A*, you still want to do the same as if you miss 90% in A2 you want to make sure you'll end up with at least an A.
Original post by Junaid96
Willowsummers that's a little off.

A2 and AS both hold equal weighting, each worth the same number of UMS points (300, I believe).

An A*, however, has specific requirements:
1) 80% overall
2) 90% in A2

So, you could get 70% in AS and 90% in A2 and you've got an A*, or even 60 then 100. You cannot, however, get 100% and then 89% - you'd end up with an A, albeit an A with more UMS points than a normal A* :smile: The reason is that unis want to be able to filter on the more challenging stuff.

So if you're not after an A*, they're both the same and you may as well go for maximum points in AS to help you with A2. If you are going for an A*, you still want to do the same as if you miss 90% in A2 you want to make sure you'll end up with at least an A.

Yeah got that, 'cause you know, someone already mentioned it...
Original post by WillowSummers
Yeah got that, 'cause you know, someone already mentioned it...

Sorry...

He hadn't posted when I started typing. Not a big deal, you know.

Quick Reply

Latest