The Student Room Group

Dentistry in Ireland: UCC and TCD - Anyone else applying for 2013 entry?

UCC = University College Cork
TCD = Trinity College Tublin

Is there anyone else applying to Ireland for Dentistry?
Have you looked at entry requirements I was going to this year but unless you have 4a*s there was no point, not sure what it's like for grads
Reply 2
Well they don't expect 4A*s from grads, the entry requirements aren't so high, they look at work experience, life experience and grades etc. I know someone who studied there and he said the UG course is very clinically intensive and when you compare it to UK courses, UK graduates tend to be poor clinically.
I've just heard some fantastic news that both TCD and UCC accept A level resits. Meaning I can repeat my A levels again and apply for Dentistry. Bare in mind I currently live in Northern Ireland so this is very convenient.

Only downside is that both Cork and Trinity require around 580 points.

A*= 150
A = 135
B = 120
etc

There's also an additional 25 points for getting at least an E in a mathametical subject. So I would need A*AAA = 555 plus my 25 points from A level maths = 580.

Pretty tall order, but at least I have a chance now.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I've just heard some fantastic news that both TCD and UCC accept A level resits. Meaning I can repeat my A levels again and apply for Dentistry. Bare in mind I currently live in Northern Ireland so this is very convenient.

Only downside is that both Cork and Trinity require around 580 points.

A*= 150
A = 135
B = 120
etc

There's also an additional 25 points for getting at least an E in a mathametical subject. So I would need A*AAA = 555 plus my 25 points from A level maths = 580.

Pretty tall order, but at least I have a chance now.

If you are over 24 years old then you would be classified as a mature student and they would not require you to have 580 UCAS points. They look at everything on your application equally such as academics and work experience. Both universities have a set quota for the amount of mature students they accept, I think both universities accept around 4-5 mature students onto the course. Check out the university websites. :smile:
Original post by rowdy-rathore
If you are over 24 years old then you would be classified as a mature student and they would not require you to have 580 UCAS points. They look at everything on your application equally such as academics and work experience. Both universities have a set quota for the amount of mature students they accept, I think both universities accept around 4-5 mature students onto the course. Check out the university websites. :smile:

Do I have to be classed as a mature student? Could I not just apply regularly like everybody else and try and the A level grades?

I'm told applying via the mature student way is very difficult so I would hope not to officially apply through mature student and apply the normal route if possible. Even if the A level route itself is very hard.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Do I have to be classed as a mature student? Could I not just apply regularly like everybody else and try and the A level grades?

I'm told applying via the mature student way is very difficult so I would hope not to officially apply through mature student and apply the normal route if possible. Even if the A level route itself is very hard.

Well how old are you? It's actually 23 that you are classed as one, and there is no getting around that. However you CAN choose to have your grades taken into account, you tick both boxes on the form basically. But it just lends weight to your application and you still have to go through the interview and have some life experience to show etc.

Nursing, Midwifery and Med all require tests but looks like Dentistry is interview only.

This is useful anyway
http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/content/pdf/00106_TCD_MatureGuides2012.pdf
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Well how old are you? It's actually 23 that you are classed as one, and there is no getting around that. However you CAN choose to have your grades taken into account, you tick both boxes on the form basically. But it just lends weight to your application and you still have to go through the interview and have some life experience to show etc.

Nursing, Midwifery and Med all require tests but looks like Dentistry is interview only.

This is useful anyway
http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/content/pdf/00106_TCD_MatureGuides2012.pdf

Hi thanks for responding. I'm 25, 26 in august.

I'm in a discussion with someone on boards.ie right now and one user claims I can tick a box for mature opening up other avenues but still can be accepted just on my (repeated) a level grades if I meet them even if I'm a mature student.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79104208#post79104208

On the CAO form you can tick a box for mature, and this opens up all the sections you need to fill in as a mature student. However you still have to fill in all the other stuff that you would fill in for the undergraduate/straight from school route. You will be offered any spot for which you are eligible, so by ticking the mature box you are opening up another avenue, but if you meet the undergraduate/straight from school requirements you will still be offered that place.

I know of somebody who had been offered RCSI mature, but had done exceptionally well in the HPAT and when the CAO offers came out after the LC, they were offered an undergraduate/straight from school place in another college. I can only assume their RCSI mature spot was offered to the next person on their waiting list, and this is one of the reasons there can still be movement till quite close to when colleges start.

You see the thing is I don't actually have a lot of experiance to show because I finished my undergraduate, then did a masters and now looking for a career change (I've had one years placement in between).

So I'm not sure I'll be a winning candidate if that got taken into account. I think I'll have to ring both tcd and ucc to verify the situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm applying to both of these universities as a Scottish re-sit candidate and as a mature student.

Anybody got advice on the extracurricular stuff with regards to the mature side of the application?

All the best everyone.
Hi, I have set up an application, but I am really confused on the process, as I have entered my details and courses, but there isn't a submit button?
Also, I am confused on how you get offers, or look at work experience as you don't have a personal statement like the UCAS system. Also, I haven't been able to find out any information on whether they interview, can anyone help me out please???
Oh and do we send our statement of results with our ums as well as our certificates we receive??

Quick Reply

Latest