Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for a student doing a language A-Level in a year

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my GCSE Spanish, and I'm hoping to get an A* in my exams. But next year I'm going to be taking my AS and my A2 in the same year. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can prepare for A2 in September when I have not yet done the AS?

¡Muchísimas gracias todos!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's so much better than doing it across two years: less time is wasted, you're a lot more focused, you have a clearer idea of where you're getting your marks due to all the units being so close together, plus you're at an A2 standard by the time you do an AS exam.

I just did an Italian A1 and would highly recommend it for any language. The way I did it, I started with all the AS stuff before Christmas, moved onto both my orals afterward then focused on my research essay for A2 for about two weeks before my exam (having done my research whilst I was doing my oral work). The workload isn't too bad either, I managed to do it alongside all my other A2 subjects.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmagicbox)
    It's so much better than doing it across two years: less time is wasted, you're a lot more focused, you have a clearer idea of where you're getting your marks due to all the units being so close together, plus you're at an A2 standard by the time you do an AS exam.

I just did an Italian A1 and would highly recommend it for any language. The way I did it, I started with all the AS stuff before Christmas, moved onto both my orals afterward then focused on my research essay for A2 for about two weeks before my exam (having done my research whilst I was doing my oral work). The workload isn't too bad either, I managed to do it alongside all my other A2 subjects.
    Thanks for the reply. Did you get put in with a class of A2s or did you have your 'own' class?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, Italian isn't particularly popular, there wasn't anyone else doing it previously and so my teacher just came in four hours a week for me.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmagicbox)
    Well, Italian isn't particularly popular, there wasn't anyone else doing it previously and so my teacher just came in four hours a week for me.
    Ah that makes sense. Did you have to do any learning the summer before?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, yes, this is probably where I gave myself an advantage. I spent 4 months the previous summer working in Southern Italy and a month in Tuscany the year before so my conversational Italian was already pretty good by the time I began my course
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did the exact same thing as you last year, My GCSE Spanish in my first year at college, then my whole A level in a year. I did my AS exam in January and got an A got the A2 Exam on Tuesday. My advice to you would be DON'T let your level of Spanish slip over the summer. Watch as many Spanish films as possible, use resources from the BBC, try and get your hands on some foreign magazines, just keep it up. Your first few weeks/months in your A2 class will be completely terrifying, i felt like i was sinking in a way! But by doing it fast-track you'll obviously be putting in a lot of extra work, so you'll soon catch up, and even be stronger at Spanish than other people in your class For the AS paper, just practise, practise, practise. I think I did an essay a week for about 3 months, and I wasn't getting above a C on any of them until about 2 weeks before my exam!
    It's definitely a big challenge, doing Spanish in a year, but if you put a lot of effort in, it should pay off I'm hopefully going to be doing Spanish and French at uni next year. Buena suerte!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gottabeme)
    I did the exact same thing as you last year, My GCSE Spanish in my first year at college, then my whole A level in a year. I did my AS exam in January and got an A got the A2 Exam on Tuesday. My advice to you would be DON'T let your level of Spanish slip over the summer. Watch as many Spanish films as possible, use resources from the BBC, try and get your hands on some foreign magazines, just keep it up. Your first few weeks/months in your A2 class will be completely terrifying, i felt like i was sinking in a way! But by doing it fast-track you'll obviously be putting in a lot of extra work, so you'll soon catch up, and even be stronger at Spanish than other people in your class For the AS paper, just practise, practise, practise. I think I did an essay a week for about 3 months, and I wasn't getting above a C on any of them until about 2 weeks before my exam!
    It's definitely a big challenge, doing Spanish in a year, but if you put a lot of effort in, it should pay off I'm hopefully going to be doing Spanish and French at uni next year. Buena suerte!
    Thanks very much. Yeah, I'm really scared that I'm just gonna be really crap and fail completely, especially when my other two A levels are also languages. D: But I'm going through all of the AS material now and it doesn't seem too bad.

¡Que saques buenas notas!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Thanks very much. Yeah, I'm really scared that I'm just gonna be really crap and fail completely, especially when my other two A levels are also languages. D: But I'm going through all of the AS material now and it doesn't seem too bad.

¡Que saques buenas notas!

Just stick at it then you'll be awesome at it :P and its so worth it, cos Spanish is a pretty cool language. Do you know what exam board you'll be with? Doing other languages is Just helpful, I found, cos Im a lot stronger at French, and cos the exams/topics were the same, I was able to basically translate and reuse a lot of the French ideas (especially cos the languages are similar). What other languages will you be doing? oh and gracias! Y tu tambien

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gottabeme)
    Just stick at it then you'll be awesome at it :P and its so worth it, cos Spanish is a pretty cool language. Do you know what exam board you'll be with? Doing other languages is Just helpful, I found, cos Im a lot stronger at French, and cos the exams/topics were the same, I was able to basically translate and reuse a lot of the French ideas (especially cos the languages are similar). What other languages will you be doing? oh and gracias! Y tu tambien

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

¡Gracias! Really? I'm doing French and German, an with Spanish, they'll all be on AQA. So therefore although it'll be repetitive, I'll be able to transfer ideas into Spanish when I do my AS. I'm worried though that I'll kinda do crap, especiLly how all three will count toward university. D:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 9, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.