The Student Room Group

Languages applicants for 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thinking of applying for French and Italian with either Politics or International Relations.
Hopefully going to apply to Durham, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bath and another which I'm undecided on, but obviously that depends on my results in August. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 61
Original post by Buongiorno
Hello fellow linguists :biggrin:

Spanish & ab initio German here. Looking at Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham... Is anyone else going on the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge?

I'm going to the summer school too :smile: I'm looking at doing European studies and Spanish and ab initio something (Russian or German maybe, not sure yet)
Original post by Malty11
I'm going to the summer school too :smile: I'm looking at doing European studies and Spanish and ab initio something (Russian or German maybe, not sure yet)

I am having the same dilemma... although it looks I am set on doing German, a part of me still wants to do Russian. Scottish universities are brilliant in that it is possible to study 3 languages and pick up 2 from scratch so I could do both German and Russian. :biggrin:

What universities are you looking at? :smile:
Original post by Squaresquirrel
Swedish is obviously the way to go :biggrin:

I'm tempted to agree,I'm watched a few films and tv series in Swedish with subtitles and I love the sounds and general cadences of the language.
Reply 64
I am! :smile:

I got A*s at GCSE in French, Italian and Spanish, and I took all three at AS Level, having just dropped Italian to continue French and Spanish to A2 level.

I have no idea which languages I want to study at university... I know I definitely want to do French, but am torn between Italian, Spanish and ab initio Portuguese or Russian.

I'm tending towards French & Italian, or French, Spanish & Portuguese, but have a love and flair for Russian and its culture and history (I loved my holiday there...)

Uni-wise I'm considering UCL, Southampton, Durham, Nottingham, Bath and Bristol - open days are booked for all six.

I got 10 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, but don't feel like Oxbridge material...there's just so much choice out there; and I don't know which languages I want to study :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Ooh how did I not notice this thread?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :biggrin:

I'm applying for French & German. Languages are the best :ahee:

Original post by rach_kirke
Oohh what A-Levels are you doing? I've considered Cambridge before but have a feeling my GCSEs wouldn't be good enough, I only got 2 A*s :frown: (they were in languages though :biggrin:)

I got 2 A*s as well and I'm giving it a shot, I do have extenuating circumstances though.

Original post by Squaresquirrel
I started self teaching myself a few months ago but Ive been really lax about it lately so have forgotten alot :s-smilie:

I know a wee bit of Swedish, and what I found really helps is reading the paper (I usually go for the Svenska Dagbladet) and listening to music! I'm not even applying for Scandinavian Studies, although I'd love to as well as French/German if that were possible, and I just go around singing in Swedish or Finnish all the time haha! As well as films/tv of course - Sweden makes amazing crime and horror :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
Ooh how did I not notice this thread?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :biggrin:

I'm applying for French & German. Languages are the best :ahee:

What other universities apart from Cambridge? :smile:
WOOP WOOP LANGUAGES :biggrin:

French and German (both post A-Level.) Considering Cambridge *ahem*, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Exeter, and any others that may come onto the horizon- UCL and York I'm looking at you.

J'adore le francais. C'est trop cool.
Ich liebe Deutsch. Es ist uber-cool (umlaut on the u.)
Finally decided on history and French :smile: would lovew to do another language but I've never had a chance to study any others.
Reply 69
What other universities apart from Cambridge? :smile:

Exeter fo' sure :ahee: I'm also looking at Birmingham, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, UCL, KCL and maybe Southampton :biggrin:

Original post by anna-chipie 95
WOOP WOOP LANGUAGES :biggrin:

French and German (both post A-Level.) Considering Cambridge *ahem*, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Exeter, and any others that may come onto the horizon- UCL and York I'm looking at you.

J'adore le francais. C'est trop cool.
Ich liebe Deutsch. Es ist uber-cool (umlaut on the u.)

Du hast ja viel recht :yep: Which colleges are you looking at?
Catz, Emma, Christ's, Kings... they all seem so nice.
Reply 71
Original post by anna-chipie 95
Catz, Emma, Christ's, Kings... they all seem so nice.

Indeed they do :yep: Did you go to the Emma open day on Tuesday?
Original post by Etoile
Exeter fo' sure :ahee: I'm also looking at Birmingham, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, UCL, KCL and maybe Southampton :biggrin:

So many people want to go to Exeter, not only for languages but in general. What attracts you to that university?

Durham, Bristol, Nottingham yay :biggrin:
Original post by Chiseph

But the problem is that learning European languages is done the best in Europe, so I was thinking of studying Romance and Slavic languages/ doing a degree in translation in Vienna. I'd have to do the degree in a German-speaking environment though, and if I don't reach the standard needed within 3 semesters I can't study at the university. I don't mind working myself to bits as long as it's towards learning a new language, but I dunno :/ help anyone? Thank you :smile:

Hey, I considered going to university in Vienna a while back. What language standard are we talking about? I saw they required B2 level knowledge, which I have (ahem, almost), but I personally don't think it would be enough to actually take a university course in a German-speaking environment. I think C2 (native level knowledge) would enable someone to actually understand what is going on in lectures and not lag behind. I was worried that by the time my German was up to scratch I would have missed a lot of the subject material. Okay, now I realise how discouraging I sound, sorry! :colondollar: If you were referring to a higher level of German then by all means, correct me! And I was only giving you my two cents, maybe I'm the one who was a bit too afraid, and it would work out for you! :smile: So don't be put off just because I was - by my own level of German.
Are you studying it at school by the way? :smile: I think with your linguistic background you stand an excellent chance of being accepted to UK unis, anyway! :smile:

Completely unrelated, but any potential linguists (I mean those applying for a Linguistics course, not a languages one :wink:) around? Linguistics 2013 doesn't seem to have a thread yet, and as there's some mutual interest I thought I might as well ask. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chiseph
Yeah, I think that it's B2, but I don't do German at school so that's why I'm worried... but it's cool that I've found someone who's been looking at the same university! :/ and no, you're not discouraging me - I've already thought through all those things before. My brother's doing a foundation year of Dutch before studying Belgium, and he's enjoying it, so I think it'll be okay :smile:)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus

Oh, that sounds good! :smile: Will you be applying for the same language combination in Vienna then? :smile:
Reply 75
So many people want to go to Exeter, not only for languages but in general. What attracts you to that university?

Durham, Bristol, Nottingham yay :biggrin:

It's a lovely city, beautiful campus, easy to get to on the train for me, I've got a friend who goes there and recommended it, near the beach :wink:
Original post by Chiseph
I think so - I think I could get away with doing 2 Romance languages + Czech actually, because of the credits system, so that's quite exciting :smile: what were you going to study when you were thinking of applying there?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App

Oh, I was actually looking at Economics courses, because apparently they're quite good, and there's virtually no tuition fee. :smile:
Doing a Masters there is always an option, though.

Do you already have a specific Oxford college in mind? :smile:
Original post by OddThings
I'm tempted to agree,I'm watched a few films and tv series in Swedish with subtitles and I love the sounds and general cadences of the language.

Haha ye, I love it too - which films/tv shows do you watch?, I found it really difficult to find any, so I mainly just read swedish books.

Original post by Etoile

I know a wee bit of Swedish, and what I found really helps is reading the paper (I usually go for the Svenska Dagbladet) and listening to music! I'm not even applying for Scandinavian Studies, although I'd love to as well as French/German if that were possible, and I just go around singing in Swedish or Finnish all the time haha! As well as films/tv of course - Sweden makes amazing crime and horror :biggrin:

I love listening to swedish music, singing along to veronica maggio has improved by pronounciation tenfold. and finnish <3 also a great language!
Ooh nice to see the field of languages aren't dead yet like the A Level take up would have it known. :biggrin:

Can't wait for Uni!!! ^.^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 79
Anyone else thinking of doing a triple language course ?

Not sure if it'll be too much work... I'm studying for A-Levels in French, Italian and Spanish, but really want to pick up Russian too :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending