Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kids on leashes

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand if your a single mum with 5 uncontrollable kids, putting them on leashes just makes it a lot easier.

But I just saw a mum with one child, pretty much pulling her down the pavement. Kids are not pets!!!!!!

Opinions?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kids are pets ("A pet is a household animal kept for companionship and a person's enjoyment", kids fit that description). That doesn't mean you shouldn't treat them with respect, you should and you should do that to your pets as well. They're possibly worse then pets because pets can sometimes survive without you whereas kids can't and need you. As long as it's safe, I don't see the problem with it. Some kids are little terror and run around shops throwing **** on the floor. I would never do it, I'd rather give them a smack if they act up but different strokes for different folks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally, would never use one on any child I had, but I understand why people do it, as long as people are actually trying to teach their kid why running off is dangerous, and that they should stay close to their parents, I don't mind people using it as a short term solution.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harreeeee)
    I understand if your a single mum with 5 uncontrollable kids, putting them on leashes just makes it a lot easier.

But I just saw a mum with one child, pretty much pulling her down the pavement. Kids are not pets!!!!!!

Opinions?
    I know their not pets, etc..............however I do understand some parents need to do so, especially in the environment we live in, the busy streets, it's a huge safety issue with kids.

I would preferably carry kids if they are young enough, otherwise I wouldn't really take them any where cos I wouldn't be able to watch them all the time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think parents are intending to treat their children like pets. Perhaps they have a child who likes to run all over the place and they don't want them running into the road and getting hurt? I see nothing wrong in a parent being cautious when out with their child, if anything its commendable.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'd much rather have my child in baby reins than running into the road or getting lost in a crowd. I agree that it's really important to teach them how to behave and not to run off in public, but the fact is that they won't listen all of the time, and until you can trust them, then why not use something like that to ensure that they're attached to you in some way all of the time?

Also, there are times where it's not really suitable to have them in a pushchair, or carry them for long, and holding hands with a little tot can be annoying and cause serious arm ache after a while. It's easy to say ''oh, don't take them with you then'' but most of the time that's probably not an option either.

In short, I don't have a problem with them. In fact, I think they're a great idea.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was on a leash as a little kid in crowded areas since I liked running off a lot. I've turned out just fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to make me hold her hand when near busy roads or if my sister was in the pushchair make me hold onto the side of that, its just the same. The fact leashes are used for dogs makes no difference at all. If its practical then its a good idea and it is because you don't want your little kid running into a road.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I take the same view as pets on leashes as I do children on leashes.
    If you can't control them then why do you have them?
    now unfortunately it's the law that I have my dogs on a leash while out by roads and the like but I assure you I'm always in control. I mean don't get me wrong they misbehave sometimes (as a child is also wanton to do) but that where a bit of firm, fair and most importantly non-violent discipline comes in.
    Now a separate arguement could be mad regarding particularly unruly children or pets but I've had over 12 dogs now and I can get the most unruly under control. I also think most folk here can remember back to school and those certain teachers who could control even the most unruly of children.
    But this is just one man's view.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 1, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.