The Student Room Group

Flucloxacillin- yuck.

I'm on a course of this antibiotic called Flucloxacillin, but it's making me feel awful. I've been vomiting a lot...I think it's worse because you're meant to take it on an empty stomach.

I can't see the GP until at least Monday as there are no appointments left tomorrow (I live in an area full of OAP's who seem to have daily appointments so it's always hard to get one quickly :redface:...).

Do I:

a) Man up, stop complaining and keep taking the antibiotics, even if they make me vomit a lot over the weekend.

b) Just stop taking them and go back to the GP on Monday.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe you could go to a pharmacy/ ring up and see what they have to say, they may be able to offer some advice. Then next week you can go to docs. Hope you feel better soon.
Reply 2
Not sure what you should do, in extreme cases it can cause bleeding of the stomach

I took the smallest dosage for only a week and my stomach was paying for it by the end.
Ring nhs direct, they will tell you. Although I had a four week course and I was fine

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies so far- I thought about going back to the pharmacy, but that's a stupid idea, as the most they can do is just chat to me about the antibiotics and their side effects- the pharmacists can't prescribe anything else (or can they?) :s-smilie:
Reply 5
If you're suffering other gastro-intestinal related effects (stomach cramping, nausea, diarrhea) then it's normal.

Try taking it with a bland snack like toast or crackers and see how that goes. To help with the vomiting, eat small regular meals as it might reduce your chances of throwing up.
Reply 6
Original post by allthelove
If you're suffering other gastro-intestinal related effects (stomach cramping, nausea, diarrhea) then it's normal.

Try taking it with a bland snack like toast or crackers and see how that goes. To help with the vomiting, eat small regular meals as it might reduce your chances of throwing up.

It's normal? I thought it was bad because I just throw all the antibiotic back up, which would stop it working.

If it's normal I'll just grin and bear it and get on with taking it. :colondollar:
I had diarrhea the entire time I was on it, but I have IBS and probably more likely for that side effect. I would grin and bear it, remain hydrated...and immediately go on a course of probiotics afterwards.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
It's normal? I thought it was bad because I just throw all the antibiotic back up, which would stop it working.

If it's normal I'll just grin and bear it and get on with taking it. :colondollar:

Maybe you might be allergic to penicillin? :confused:

I don't know, I'm not a doctor. Yet...
Thanks for the replies so far- I thought about going back to the pharmacy, but that's a stupid idea, as the most they can do is just chat to me about the antibiotics and their side effects- the pharmacists can't prescribe anything else (or can they?) :s-smilie:

Drink plenty of cold water, it will help to stop you feeling ill and dilute the drug in your stomach, slowing uptake and giving your body more time to metabolise it - in theory.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Pharmacists can't prescribe you anything. Your best bet is probably to call up NHS 24 on 0845 24 24 24. They'll be able to ask more detailed questions to determine between adverse effects or drug reaction.
Original post by Chiko 1001
Pharmacists can't prescribe you anything. Your best bet is probably to call up NHS 24 on 0845 24 24 24. They'll be able to ask more detailed questions to determine between adverse effects or drug reaction.

Well surely that depends on whether the pharmacist is a prescriber (I admit the chances of the OP speaking to a prescribing pharmacist are extremely low but it's a sweeping statement for you to make about pharmacists).

Also when the OP rings NHS 24, according to their website, after the initial information gathering they will be put through to 'a Nurse Practioner, Pharmacist, Dental Nurse or Health Information Advisor' and considering this a drug query I'd imagine they'd pick the pharmacist :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by -Emmz-
Well surely that depends on whether the pharmacist is a prescriber (I admit the chances of the OP speaking to a prescribing pharmacist are extremely low but it's a sweeping statement for you to make about pharmacists).

Also when the OP rings NHS 24, according to their website, after the initial information gathering they will be put through to 'a Nurse Practioner, Pharmacist, Dental Nurse or Health Information Advisor' and considering this a drug query I'd imagine they'd pick the pharmacist :wink:

That's the thing, I googled pharmacists and the NHS website said that some of them can actually prescribe. How would you tell which ones can? Wouldn't the prescribers just be hospital-based? My one just wears a white coat and works behind the drugs counter in my local high-street pharmacist. :biggrin:

To be honest, I've just ridden it out. It wasn't much fun and involved a weekend of feeling rubbish, but next time my doctor prescribes them, I might ask if I can get a different antibiotic instead...

Thanks for your advice though, people. Much appreciated. :colondollar:
Original post by -Emmz-

I was going on the route that if you just wander into the local pharmacy and say the drugs aren't working the pharmacist is unlikely to take it upon themselves to dispense an alternative without sending the OP back to their GP.
That's the thing, I googled pharmacists and the NHS website said that some of them can actually prescribe. How would you tell which ones can? Wouldn't the prescribers just be hospital-based? My one just wears a white coat and works behind the drugs counter in my local high-street pharmacist. :biggrin:

To be honest, I've just ridden it out. It wasn't much fun and involved a weekend of feeling rubbish, but next time my doctor prescribes them, I might ask if I can get a different antibiotic instead...

Thanks for your advice though, people. Much appreciated. :colondollar:

I think there are some community pharmacists who prescribe but they'd be more 'clinic based' in the community with the GP, so yeah I don't think you'd walk into a pharmacy and expect to find a prescribing pharmacist - I was just being pedantic :colondollar:

I think you should definitely let your GP know. Nausea and vomiting is usually a side effect rather than an allergic reaction so it sounds like you've suffered an adverse drug reaction and may want to avoid flucloxacillin in the future but I wouldn't rush to say you're allergic to penicillins (unless you've had some other symptoms too such as rash). A lot of people say they're allergic to penicillin when it's made them sick and it sometimes means they don't get the antibiotic that would be best suited for the infection.

Hope you're feeling better now! :smile:
Original post by Chiko 1001
I was going on the route that if you just wander into the local pharmacy and say the drugs aren't working the pharmacist is unlikely to take it upon themselves to dispense an alternative without sending the OP back to their GP.

:colondollar: sorry I was just being pedantic.

You're right the pharmacist wouldn't do that but they would be able to advise whether it was a likely ADR as a pose to an allergic reaction and offer advice on what to do next :smile:
Bear in mind if you stop a course of antibiotics partway through, you are likely to be recolonised by new more resistant bacteria which will be harder to treat in both you and anyone to whom you spread your germs.

Best course of action is always to see a doctor ASAP.
Reply 17
I'm on this at the moment too for a bad chest infection. The doctor who prescribed it told me it could cause sickness/ diarrhoea and told me if it happened to eat some yoghurt (dunno why?) Depends what it worse the side effect of vomiting or the infection you were treating, all doctors would tell you not to stop a course of antibiotics mid way through as the bacteria can still be in your body. It depends how long you have left on the course, I would advise you to continue, so long as it is not getting worse. If it continues I would advise you to see your GP
Reply 18
Sorry to thread hijack - ive just been prescribed this but the massive blue pills are making me gag and my throat closes - im honestly having the hardest time taking them - any advice how you managed?! I'm usually fine with smaller pills...
Original post by JazzyJo
Sorry to thread hijack - ive just been prescribed this but the massive blue pills are making me gag and my throat closes - im honestly having the hardest time taking them - any advice how you managed?! I'm usually fine with smaller pills...

Chew up a biscuit and don't swallow it, put the pill in the chewy gunky biscuit mix in your mouth then swallow

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest