The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths AQA unit 3 june 13 (New spec)

This thread is about the GCSE maths unit 3 exam on the 13th of June for the AQA exam board. It is the first time ever that they have done this exam so it should be interesting.
The past papers seem to be quite hard in my opinion, in unit 2 I think it was something like 39/66 to get an A but considering this paper is harder it should be atleast around the same if not lower.

How is your revision going for this? I am currently struggling a bit with it as there is no official grade boundary so don't know what I am aiming for as I need an A.

Discuss anything here and good luck :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm having trouble revising too,I have th CGP revision guide and CD which are quite helpful (i would definately recommend getting the CD!) But the practice papers Ive done are really hard and very problem based. What other ways are you revising?
:smile:
Reply 2
i'm trying to figure out what frickin' exam board my maths exam is with.. :mad:

can you please tell me if your exam is 1h 30m mod c? :unsure:

Reply 3
Original post by hollyx.
i'm trying to figure out what frickin' exam board my maths exam is with.. :mad:

can you please tell me if your exam is 1h 30m mod c? :unsure:

Hi,

The unit we are talking about here is the final unit of the Maths course. I don't believe it's called 'Module C' - just 'Unit 3'.

Didn't you get any past papers or anything from school? And yes - the exam lasts an hour and a half.

Thanks
Reply 4
sounds like my exam board is OCR then! thanks :smile:
yeah we did, but we've done AQA and OCR papers and we haven't been told.

thanks a lot!
Reply 5
i am doing past papers and only getting around 50-60% which is not good enough :L
Hey everyone new here on TSR just joined today, how is everyone feeling ?? Hope all is well
@ welbeck: I recommend bitesize, my maths, cgp aqa modular maths And tick off specification
Im glad im not the only one whos struggling! I will do some hardcore maths rev tomorrow- have done history today instead :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can anyone help and explain this question?

: The base of a pyramid is a square of side 10 cm. the total surface area of the pyramid is 300cm2. calculate its volume.

some how the answer is 288.7 but i don't understand why?
Volume is x^2 (xsquared) i think... Not sure though AT ALL sorry

Reply 11
I'm doing this exam too, I've been getting 65-75% could anyone guess at what this would get me?
Original post by alj123
I'm doing this exam too, I've been getting 65-75% could anyone guess at what this would get me?

Umm i think defo B, most possibly A :smile: thats a guess though, but im sure its at least a B, so well done:biggrin:

Reply 13
Original post by alj123

I would say that that would guarantee you at least an A considering unit 2 was considerably easier and in the recent papers it has been around 40/66 for an A which is 60% for an A, and unit 3 is even harder.

Some schools have predicted it to be around 55% for an A which is quite low but understandable due to the paper difficulty. I can imagine a very low grade boundary if the papers are like how they are in the specimen.

I think I will be aiming for around 65-75% as I need 2 ums over an A in this too keep my overall at an A and just hope I can do it.

Good luck guys
Reply 14
Ah right thanks, I hope you do well :biggrin:
Anyone need any papers or mark scheme ( new on TSR :smile:
Hey everyone :smile: hope your all doing well, I was wondering that what would 80 out of 120 UMS roughy equal to in terms of raw marks out of 80( basically how much would you need?)... Thanks and good luck to all hope you all do very well :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by tupac makaveli
Anyone need any papers or mark scheme ( new on TSR :smile:

ah yes please! i can't find the right one anywhere :frown:
Reply 18
Does anyone have a list or anything of the things that we'll need to revise?

All I'm thinking of is:

Circle Thereoms (geometry)
Vectors
Enlargements and Transformations
Loci and Construction
Trigonometry
Quadratic Graphs

Does anyone for sure know any more? Cos I had such a poo teacher this year who never really told us
Reply 19
Also, I found this youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unit+3+maths+aqa&oq=unit+3+maths+aqa&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3...6508.7218.0.7443.4.4.0.0.0.0.78.270.4.4.0...0.0.S4hQzKV5cU8

..But it says things like UNIT 3 MATHS PAPER 1 or UNIT 3 MATHS PAPER 2.

Which one are we supposed to click on because all my examination timetable says is unit 3? Or are they all relevant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending