The Student Room Group

Quick Question.

For University (Particularly for Chemistry) how much would only have doing 4 highers in 5th year affect me compared to someone doing all 5?

Say if I got AAAA how much would that disadvantage me to say someone with AAABC+?
Reply 1
Not too much! You should do more highers in s6 to get more A's! Then you could ave something like AAAAAABB which looks much better than AAABC!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
As above said, only doing four won't affect really at all as you can do additional subjects in S6 which will extend your number of Highers/A Highers.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's worth bearing in mind that universities do regard subjects done over two years differently from those over one. They'll normally give first and second 'sitting' grade requirements, and the latter are normally a couple grades higher. That said, I'd be surprised if the workload of taking one extra subject this year took you from AAAA to AAABC.
Reply 4
I only took 4 Highers in 5th Year and next year I'll be doing another 2 Highers + 2 Advanced Highers. I guess I was just getting paranoid (I'm in 5th year just now, going into 6th.)
Reply 5
I've applied to do Chemistry this year and every university only asks for four highers (including Chemistry and Maths as a must). And if you get 4 A's you are basically guarenteed unconditionals.
Reply 6
Original post by NR09
I've applied to do Chemistry this year and every university only asks for four highers (including Chemistry and Maths as a must). And if you get 4 A's you are basically guarenteed unconditionals.

Thank You :smile: I didn't do Higher English (but I'm doing it next year) do you think this'll affect me at all? Mainly because I don't think I'll pass next year, as I'm sure I just scraped a pass at Int.2
Reply 7
Original post by TheFOMaster
Thank You :smile: I didn't do Higher English (but I'm doing it next year) do you think this'll affect me at all? Mainly because I don't think I'll pass next year, as I'm sure I just scraped a pass at Int.2

What Highers are you doing this year? I don't think it will effect you too much, as long as you have taken Chemistry, Maths and Physics. It's not as difficult to get offers as people think. I got conditionals for Edinburgh and Strathclyde to do Chemistry having got AABBB at Hugher last year. And my A's we're in Physics and Biology. So realistically you should be fine!!!

EDIT: I should say that Physics is not a necessity, but it is good to have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by NR09
What Highers are you doing this year? I don't think it will effect you too much, as long as you have taken Chemistry, Maths and Physics. It's not as difficult to get offers as people think. I got conditionals for Edinburgh and Strathclyde to do Chemistry having got AABBB at Hugher last year. And my A's we're in Physics and Biology. So realistically you should be fine!!

I done Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Computing this year. And Next year I'm doing Chemistry (AH), Biology (AH), Physics and English. Thanks, you've really helped ease my mind a little :P
Reply 9
Original post by TheFOMaster
I done Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Computing this year. And Next year I'm doing Chemistry (AH), Biology (AH), Physics and English. Thanks, you've really helped ease my mind a little :P

Aye, you should be fine. Good luck on getting the results!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending