The Student Room Group

What will happen if I drive my car with expired tax?

My car tax expires today, so tomorrow it will no longer be valid. I'm going to buy 6 months tax tomorrow, but I need to drive to the Post Office. This means I'll have no tax for the drive to the postie (and I won't have any tax...). What will happen if I get pulled over by the police? Will I get a fine or any points on my licence?

Are police cars fitted with a machine that can pick up cars with no tax? I'm pretty sure they can do it with car insurance so if my tax has expired will I be OK for a quick drive to get some tomorrow?

What we've learned:

You'll be meeting the tax fairy soon...

You are fine, but don't condone this behaviour...
You'll get a fine, but no points

You probably shouldn't do it, but you could risk it...
Your car will explode.

This wouldn't happen..
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You'll be meeting the tax fairy soon...

Not really, it should be fine for a day. You'd get into trouble if you didn't pay tax for like years.
(edited 11 years ago)
You'll get a fine, but no points (that's if they catch you that is). I didn't get a reminder letter and was driving around unknowingly without tax for months and I got scanned by the police and sent a letter with a fine. They don't give you any points though. I always make sure I know exactly when my tax runs out now because you can't always rely on getting reminder letters.
Worst case, yes - the police can detect you don't have tax via automatic number plate cameras, and pull you over, you would a £60(?) fine. I would hope in your case they would let you off, but you never know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by laura130490
You'll get a fine, but no points (that's if they catch you that is). I didn't get a reminder letter and was driving around unknowingly without tax for months and I got scanned by the police and sent a letter with a fine. They don't give you any points though. I always make sure I know exactly when my tax runs out now because you can't always rely on getting reminder letters.

Do police cars have devices that can pick up on un-taxed vehicles? are you sure that points are not given for expired tax and driving without it ?
Reply 5
Your car will explode.

Pretty sure police wouldn't do anything, going to get tax is a valid excuse.
Reply 6
Original post by rmhumphries
Worst case, yes - the police can detect you don't have tax via automatic number plate cameras, and pull you over, you would a £60(?) fine. I would hope in your case they would let you off, but you never know.

Thanks mate, I have never taxed before, this is my first car so am a little baffled on how to go about it.

Tomorrow to the post office I will take along

My logbook
MOT pass certificate
Certificate of motor insurance (the motor certificate is a copy I have printed off, will this be accepted?)

How will I know if a particular postie does tax discs, When I walk into the post office, do I just approach somebody on the desk and say I want to renew car tax? do I instantly receive my new car tax disc? How is that then recorded onto my reg plate?
Most police cars in the UK, even unmarked cars, are fitted with ANPR (automatic numberplate readers) which could detect you have no tax. It's an £80 automatic fine with no points on your license.
Reply 8
If you've got your docs in the car and plod pulls you over on the way to the P.O, they'll use common sense and leave you to it. :wink:
Original post by I likewinegums
Thanks mate, I have never taxed before, this is my first car so am a little baffled on how to go about it.

Tomorrow to the post office I will take along

My logbook
MOT pass certificate
Certificate of motor insurance (the motor certificate is a copy I have printed off, will this be accepted?)

How will I know if a particular postie does tax discs, When I walk into the post office, do I just approach somebody on the desk and say I want to renew car tax? do I instantly receive my new car tax disc? How is that then recorded onto my reg plate?

Most post offices do car tax, you can check here - just enter your postcode and select Car Tax as the service needed.
When you get to the Post Office, yes - just go to the desk, say you want to renew your car tax / get a tax disc / etc etc, they will ask to see your V5C, insurance and MOT. Once they have checked them, they will print your tax disc. I assume the DVLA's computers update straight away (your registration is on the V5C, and will be recorded onto the tax disc - their computers will then store your tax disc number and reg number), but if you get stopped, as long as you have the tax disc displayed you will be fine.
Reply 10
You know you can renew a tax disc in person a few days before the current one expires? It'll still start in the following month (June). You don't have to wait til the 1st of the month.
Well, in my friend's case...

Reply 12
You can do it online??

If your car has an MOT and is insured, then just go to here:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyD/DG_10034732

And you can do it today. It then enters the system and you are taxed and legal despite not having the tax disc as it is in the database.

Simples.
Original post by gbduo
You can do it online??

If your car has an MOT and is insured, then just go to here:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyD/DG_10034732

And you can do it today. It then enters the system and you are taxed and legal despite not having the tax disc as it is in the database.

Simples.

Direct.gov

If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

Source.

He can still be fined for not displaying a tax disc, and there is the risk if the DVLA computer take a while to update (like the insurance database does), he could be pulled over by the police and fined. The DLVA say that if you haven't applied for your tax before the end of the month, it is best to do it in person.

Hi Laura, you were driving around for 'months' with no re-newed tax, however the OP shall be applying for road tax which will commence at the beginning of June, so will not be having any 'free' time and is acceptable and sothus will not receive any fine. Experience from my family who have been in the same situation.

Hope you have lots of post-it notes around now :-) xx
Reply 15

Source.

He can still be fined for not displaying a tax disc, and there is the risk if the DVLA computer take a while to update (like the insurance database does), he could be pulled over by the police and fined. The DLVA say that if you haven't applied for your tax before the end of the month, it is best to do it in person.

Fair enough. When I am at sea, the tax runs out whilst I am away, I just renew when I get home like a month or so later online and then drive around the same day. Never been an issue for me :confused:

How can you drive unround unknowingly without tax?! Surely its not hard to remember when it runs out, its written in big letters in your window lol

I agree. They can check on their cameras if you havent got tax and you would get a fine i think.
Wouldnt the post office be shut tomorrow though due to the bank holiday?
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree. They can check on their cameras if you havent got tax and you would get a fine i think.
Wouldnt the post office be shut tomorrow though due to the bank holiday?

They will be now until Wednesday, yes. However, OP posted on Thursday, so had Friday to go and get his tax done :smile:
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
How can you drive unround unknowingly without tax?! Surely its not hard to remember when it runs out, its written in big letters in your window lol

Because I don't examine my tax disc every time I get in my car. It quite easy to just get in your car without looking at it.

Latest