Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help.Scared.Stressed.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, basically, I think my life may be over (academically).

Background info : privately educated all of seconday school, however have lived in 4 different countries, attending 7 different schools, soley due to family (job) reasons. Now, 7 schools over 5 years is actually pretty tough. Note, I moved in the middle of my GCSE's (country and school) I was initially doing IGCSE's.

I'm currently only doing 5.5 GCSE's because of where my school is, and though it's private, it is really bad. Not going to lie - this is all I was offered to do.

Predictions

Mathematics: B
    Physics : B
    Biology : B
    English : A
    History (short course) : B
    Economics (short course) : A
    R.E (short course) : B

Likely actual

Mathematics : B
    Physics : C
    Biology : C
    English : B
    History: B
    Economics : B
    Re: B

I know that doesn't sound too bad, but next year for Scottish Highers I plan on doing maths, physics, english, biology and history- though I may not get the minimum grade required to do both physics and biology. This is really worrying me-especially as I'm not doing many other subjects.

It's a boarding school in Scotland, and I've already been accepted etc, on my predicted grades. ( none lower than B ). But this will not happen, I will get at least 1 C in a subject I want to study at Higher. Also, I don't get my GCSE results until AFTER the term actually starts - so do you think once I'm in the class etc, they'll tell me I can no longer do it because of a bad result?

TL;DR : Wont get my predicted grades, so wont get what my new school wants me to get, to study at Scottish Higher. Will they kick me out of the school once I've started, because I didn't do as well as expected?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but if you write a letter explaining your situation you might be able to if you're willing to also do a retake at the same time? Perhaps you can ask to defer a year so you can get all the necessary grades?

You could take a year out and retake the GCSEs you didn't do well enough in.

I don't really know, it might be an annoyance, but I don't think it's the end of your life academically.
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi kaneboy

I think what willbee suggested is probably the best thing to do - write a letter/send an email to the school you've applied to and ask their opinions. I'm sure it would go down far better if you contacted them now than if you asked at the last minute.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Hi kaneboy

I think what willbee suggested is probably the best thing to do - write a letter/send an email to the school you've applied to and ask their opinions. I'm sure it would go down far better if you contacted them now than if you asked at the last minute.

Yeah. I think I may ask them what would happen in the case that I get a C in 2 subjects I wish to do. Hopefully I can then come up with some sort of compromise with them, so it's not such a big shock if I don't do so well...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.