Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What does being British mean to you?

Announcements Posted on
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean to you?
    Also do you refer to yourself as:

English, Scottish, Welsh, etc.. or British-
    And why?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer British - i have always been drawn to it because of the 'now' active monarchy - we see a lot more of them now and its very unique to see how the whole nation comes together to celebrate a family. People all of the world admire the royals and its great to know wer part of that.

We saw in america they gathered when barack became president - that was more symbolic of how times have changed. The royal wedding showed how things haven't changed too much - the monarchy is modernised and is less active then once before, but we still regard them as a key part of Britain.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    British means waving a lil flag out of my car window
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It means absolutely nothing to me.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stiff upper lip and all that, what ho!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I emphasise my Britishness probably more than my Scottishness because it has a civic angle to it. Because it's a political identity based on citizenship in addition to a national or cultural identity (whereas Welshness, Cornishness, Northern Irishness or whatever is only the latter) it means I'm involved in a common project. Other identities lack this: they're simply a commentary on what you see yourself as.

So that's what being British means to me: working together to improve the State in which we live.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It means that my nationality is British.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it mean's that i live in country where children are taught how to put condoms on bananas.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fish & Chips
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would call myself English first, then British. But I don't draw any major distinction between the two, in practical terms.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Putting up with being on a tiny island with one of the highest population densities where it is cloudy/rainy almost all year...

Means being under payed, over taxed and not having the right to free speech...

It means that the government can make promises to get them elected and then those promises turn out to be lies...

I love Britain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    good tier
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, the British are a mongrel race, fed by immigration and conquering armies from France, Scandinavia, Germany, the Roman Empire, the Picts and Celts, Semites, Dutch, Flemish, Saxons and a hundred more, forged by hardship and growth over the centuries.

I love the mixture, its what makes us unique. I'm proud of what the British offered the world, ashamed of what they took from it.

I love that we're made up of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Eire, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man.... every disparate and bizarre, quaint and forward-thinking, every part of this group of people.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It means having an excuse to complain about our weather, whether it's hot, cold, or raining.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think Britishness is a myriad of things really although I'd say I am English first.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really mean anything to me. I don't 'feel' British, really. I don't empathise with people who claim to do so, and I don't care about how Britain does in the Olympics or whatever else in the world. I feel a lot more English than British.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rain, sarcasm, silly traditions and pubs.

Used to call myself British, now English occasionally.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't say it means much more than British citizenship and a pretty useful passport, to be honest. I could make some vague cultural generalisations, but I don't feel attached to any of them. I've not experienced anything that leads me to believe there's some great significance to the fact I happened to be brought up in Britain over any other European nation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself English and Irish (genetically and culturally). Citizenship wise I am British and Irish but I've never really seen myself as British for quite a few reasons. I suppose British to me is a lot of things as its hard to define a culture, its a way of life and thinking. It is also a citizenship.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It means that I was born and raised in Britain. Though out of habit I usually say I'm English when people ask my nationality.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.