The Student Room Group

History OCR GCSE exam tips!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's quite hard to judge which topic it will be, because OCR decided to trick some candidates recently by repeating topic (e.g. Suffrage in January 2012) even though the Liberal Reforms hadn't come up for the past 3 papers.

The record goes like this:

Jan 2010 - Home Front
Jun 2010 - Liberal Welfare Reforms
Jan 2011 - Women's Suffrage
Jun 2011 - Home Front
Jan 2012 - Women's Suffrage

Looking at that, it is likely that it is going to be the Liberal Welfare Reforms - but keep in mind that there's a strong possibility of the Home Front also, seeing as OCR decided to chuck in Women for the January just gone.

I found this in an examiner's report which is helpful (June 2011 - Home Front): "Very few candidates seemed unable to access the majority of sources, although there was clear evidence in the case of some candidates that they had been preparing for questions on the Liberal welfare reforms. It cannot be stressed strongly enough that a policy of guessing the topic and slanting preparation heavily in favour of that topic is very unwise."
Original post by L_Vieru
Ummm, I'm not sure what exactly you're stuck on but this is what is going to basically be in the paper:

You will be a pretty big booklet with section A and B. It's gonna be big because it will have questions for many topics, not just the topics you have studied. You may have studied the cold war, others may have studied the causes of world war 2. You turn to the page which contains questions based on the topics you have studied in school. So yeah, you will get a question paper and you answer only a small section of it, other schools may do other sections. You will need to do one question out of the few that are given in the topic you have studied, and answer the sub questions (a,b,c).

*this is for Paper 1

Thanks a lot I understand now, appreciate and grateful for the help. I was confused on section A at first: because I knew I had to pick one section out of the 3 : inter war, cold war, new world but I was confused, because there was a majority that we did on section C which is new world and the one I am going to do in exam but I was doubtful because I was sure we did a little bit of other sections. But I cleared that up by asking a few people and they said we do the one with was the majority work ( section C) , we did some information on A and B but obviously C was the main one , so we didn't focus on A and B : since we didnt do Vietnam to able to fully do A and B. Thanks once again ( have a rep) and take care and good luck :smile::biggrin:
Anyone doing 1939-1975 for Paper 2? Guess like I'm the only one who seems to be doing it?
Original post by 22DubDub
Good luck everyone! I did OCR history GCSE, and my advice for you all would be, for the longer questions, constantly refer back to the question! (i.e all the time!) I have A2 OCR history on tues, and i'm hopefully doing history at university next year, but it seems like yesterday i was sitting this exam :')

Thanks :smile: And good luck for your A2 history and I think you will be successful to do it at Uni. Yeah time flies... I would give you a rep but unfortunately 24 hour limit restricts me so I thought might as well reply. Anyway take care :biggrin:
Reply 64
Hey I'm doing modern world history inter war years and America depth study, I'm estimated an A* and my coursework is marked at A*, what is the lowest grade I could achieve on the British sources paper and still achieve A/A*?
Reply 65
Hi, i am doing this exam. Is anyone doing Crime and Punishment through Time and American West?

I would like some help on both papers overall, any tips/guidance? I did paper 2 in January but got a C :frown: Any help would be appreciated?

I find sourcework quite hard as well.
Reply 66
how much time should you spend on the 10 mark essay style question?
Reply 67
Original post by .1.
how much time should you spend on the 10 mark essay style question?

They suggest 35 minutes for A, B, C questions, so:

- 5 minutes for the A
- 10 minutes for the B
- 20 minutes for the C?

That's how I'd be splitting it up, as it gives a fair amount of time for the marks available.
Reply 68
Original post by merrrrr
^ Im the same as you. I recieved a B for my coursework (36/50) which was really disappointing, as I'm aiming for an A* :frown:

I got 40/50 in my Arab-Israeli conflict cousrwork worth 25% - what grade is this, and even better how many UMS did i get????????
Original post by A193
I got 40/50 in my Arab-Israeli conflict cousrwork worth 25% - what grade is this, and even better how many UMS did i get????????

Hey there :smile: 40/50 is an A grade and if your interested 45/50 is an A* :biggrin: ... Good luck :wink:
Reply 70
How much are you guys writing on average for a 7 mark source question? Please tell me how many words you get per line too please :biggrin:
Reply 71
hey, anyone got any predictions on what might come up or what probably wont come up in the Germany 1918-39 part tomorrow? :smile:
Original post by JSterney
hey, anyone got any predictions on what might come up or what probably wont come up in the Germany 1918-39 part tomorrow? :smile:

The bit about Hitler between 1924-1929 comes up every time, as does Young People. Germany in WW2/Minorities will probably come up too, as apparently people do badly on that topic :tongue: NAZI Germany life will probably come up as well.
My class did an analysis of past papers for the past ten years recently, so I'm just referring off our work - you still need to revise all of it, but these are probably going to be a focus :smile:
Guys is 48/50 for the coursework 100 UMS or 95? Also can someone post an extract from a 10 marker to show how much you need to develop your description of an event?
Reply 74
Original post by Catching22
Anyone doing 1939-1975 for Paper 2? Guess like I'm the only one who seems to be doing it?

I am! :frown:
Reply 75
Do you know how many total marks are for the History Paper 1? :smile:
Y0UJC.png
Original post by Bumblebea
Do you know how many total marks are for the History Paper 1? :smile:
Y0UJC.png

Tomorrows exam is out of 75 marks:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 77
Original post by Melissajanex
Tomorrows exam is out of 75 marks:smile:

Thanks! Could you suggest how long to spend on each question?
i.e - cartoon, source, 4,6,10mark questions? :biggrin:
Original post by Umackjiggles
Guys is 48/50 for the coursework 100 UMS or 95? Also can someone post an extract from a 10 marker to show how much you need to develop your description of an event?

Coursework isn't out of 100ums is
It?

Original post by Bumblebea
Thanks! Could you suggest how long to spend on each question?
i.e - cartoon, source, 4,6,10mark questions? :biggrin:

I'd spend about 7-8 minutes on the cartoon make sure you support your answer with details and your own knowledge. For b id spend again 7-8 minutes. There both out of 7/8 marks so I'd spend a mark per minute. For 4,6 and 10 mark all together you should spend around 35 mins. I'd say 5 on 4 mark, around ten on 6 mark and then 20 on the ten marker, roughly :smile: hope that helps you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending