The Student Room Group

History OCR GCSE exam tips!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing OCR History Medicine Through Time and American West Paper One (not the sources).

Does anyone know the grade boundaries of past exams, I'm aiming for an A*.
Original post by Dobrzynski
I'm doing OCR History Medicine Through Time and American West Paper One (not the sources).

Does anyone know the grade boundaries of past exams, I'm aiming for an A*.

Depending on what your doing they vary each year but a* has been around 61/62 out of 75. I'm aiming for a* too but don't think I'm going to get it:frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Melissajanex
Depending on what your doing they vary each year but a* has been around 61/62 out of 75. I'm aiming for a* too but don't think I'm going to get it:frown:

Thank you! that is much better than I expected!
Coursework isn't out of 100ums is
It?

not sure what its out of. I know it got moderated and my final mark was 48/50, does that then mean I go into the exam tomorrow with 24% out of the total 100% for the entire course?
Reply 84
I'd spend about 7-8 minutes on the cartoon make sure you support your answer with details and your own knowledge. For b id spend again 7-8 minutes. There both out of 7/8 marks so I'd spend a mark per minute. For 4,6 and 10 mark all together you should spend around 35 mins. I'd say 5 on 4 mark, around ten on 6 mark and then 20 on the ten marker, roughly :smile: hope that helps you

Thanks a million for your help! Now, I just need to get through the 2 hour exam... -_-
Original post by Umackjiggles
not sure what its out of. I know it got moderated and my final mark was 48/50, does that then mean I go into the exam tomorrow with 24% out of the total 100% for the entire course?

25% :smile:

Original post by Bumblebea
Thanks a million for your help! Now, I just need to get through the 2 hour exam... -_-

Your welcome. Me too, still got quite a bit to revise:smile:

Reply 87
Your welcome. Me too, still got quite a bit to revise:smile:

Well, I wish you good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 88
All the tips you need on how to do both paper 1 and paper 2 are here:

http://godman.co.nr/

together with an app you can get to help you revise with:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gcse-medicine/id527663351?mt=8
Original post by martyw
All the tips you need on how to do both paper 1 and paper 2 are here:

http://godman.co.nr/

together with an app you can get to help you revise with:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gcse-medicine/id527663351?mt=8

Thanks

Reply 90
it tells you how much time to spend on the different questions too... pretty much everything
Original post by Kim07
Just wondering, is it possible to get an A* over all when you've got B/C for your controlled assessment(30%)? I heard that grade boundary is something like 90% for an A*..
I know that this question is not very relevant for this thread, but I was hoping that someone would know?
Thank you!

You'd need full marks in both papers surely - isn't course work for OCR 25%?
(edited 11 years ago)
For OCR History Medicine Through Time and American West, can anyone tell me how many minutes they spend on the 5,6,7 and 8 mark questions? I have just done a mock exam, with 5=7, 6=8, 7=12, 8=13. I finished with 30 mins spare which I NEVER DO. I wrote loads as well, 8 pages.

On another note, I'm trying to get the mark scheme for this exam http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10...e_a951_13.pdf? I think the mark scheme is below the question paper on this pdf, as I can't find the mark scheme anywhere else on the website. The problem is, is that when I try and load it, it only shows the first page and the rest are completely blank. Can anyone help me find the mark scheme?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 93
Germany Depth Study anyone? Really worried about the possible sources and questions that might come up for it. Some of the previous ones seem really vague :frown:
Original post by martyw
it tells you how much time to spend on the different questions too... pretty much everything

Using this source then, how long does it advise? (see my question above)
25% :smile:

why 25%?
why 25%?

Because for Ocr history coursework is worth 25 percent of your final grade:smile:

Because for Ocr history coursework is worth 25 percent of your final grade:smile:

but I got 48/50, would that not be scaled down to 24%? Also how do they calculate your final grade and the A* boundary?
but I got 48/50, would that not be scaled down to 24%? Also how do they calculate your final grade and the A* boundary?

Since you got 48/50 in your controlled Assessment that means you have 24% for the total GCSE so far.

While paper 1 is worth 45% and paper 2 30%
Original post by Michael's
For the 4 Markers you need to briefly tell the examiner exactly what the question is asking. Please let me stress that you do not bullet point the answers but in a way list them with a small amount of explanation. It should take no longer than 6 lines. The 6 markers require a bit more explanation but less points. Aim to write at least half a page but if you can write more and have the time then definitely do so! Now, with the 10 markers, aim to try and write about a page.

Love
-Michael

So for a 6 mark question, if it asked you why a photo was taken, would you make a point saying 'it was takrn to show' .... Then describe the photo, giving detail, supported with background knowledge, then the affect of the detail and say possibly why someone would want it to have this affect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending