Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Queen

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to get a feeling for other peoples sentiments on the Monarchy as the Diamond Jubilee weekend is upon us.

Personally I am a Republican in theory and an Monarchist in practice. Mainly because I think that people like the Queen do a pretty fantastic job.

How about you?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think as a country for us to bark on about social equality and mobility while having a tax funded institution like the monarchy which endorses views that are the complete opposite to the ideals we are constantly trying to push makes us hypocrites.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dislike the royal family
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the royal family, but I do feel as if I'd be biased towards them since my family has ties to them (as friends and supporters) and has supported them for many many years.

My parents met Princess Margaret as she came to Haddo a few times.There's one story that she came along and was going by the fields and one of the cows stuck its head through the fence and started licking her feet. My Dad, his boss and the others all panicked and she just laughed and said that it tickled.

I feel proud to have a royal family and at this time where Britons seem to be losing a lot of respect for their own country, I think that the royals allow us to keep some of that respect.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Big fan. Both a monarchist and just a supporter of the current Queen, who's done an excellent job in that role. Going to be partying like it's the Restoration this weekend.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Respectful of the Queen, something of a Republican in practice.

Oh Cromwell, if only you hadn't been a hyper-religious arse . . . :moon:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason for why I should "like" her.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason for why I should "dislike" her.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an enthusiastic supporter of the institution of monarchy, but I couldn't care less about its current occupant.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do not support the monarchy. She is illigitimate, being of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and one of the Illuminati families of Europe.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    The British constitution works well because the monarch plays a mostly ceremonial role these days, I'd rather have a royal figurehead rather than a president with real power. We really don't need anymore politicians. So yes, I like the Queen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find the Queen and the whole royal family to be the only real part of English tradition left. Along with the huge amount of tourism they bring and the real excitement for anyone, even those who hate the monarchy, when they get to see the Queen in the flesh.
    Another really important part of the royals is charity. The Queen and many other members of the royal family are patrons of charities which really helps raise money so even though they may not benefit the economy in the vastest way possible; they do offer a lot to voluntary organisations.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably the Greatest Briton to have lived in a long time, puts her country before herself day in day out.

Even today, she stood in the wet and cold whether for a good few hours without even sitting down, something I would find very hard to do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Probably the Greatest Briton to have lived in a long time, puts her country before herself day in day out.

Even today, she stood in the wet and cold whether for a good few hours without even sitting down , something I would find very hard to do.
    What a courageous, amazing, hard working person she is.

It's just some old ****ing woman for ****s sake!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Think as a country for us to bark on about social equality and mobility while having a tax funded institution like the monarchy which endorses views that are the complete opposite to the ideals we are constantly trying to push makes us hypocrites.
    Rubbish. Do you know the five countries with the highest social mobility? Denmark, Norway, Finland, Canada and Sweden, in that order.

Of those five, Finland is the only republic. Canada even shares our Queen.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pro-Monarchy. Thinks Her Majesty is a remarkable woman providing continuity despite the changes. She is a brilliant diplomat representing the UK abroad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)

Even today, she stood in the wet and cold whether for a good few hours without even sitting down, something I would find very hard to do.

Yeh, like it must be sooo hard to be the queen! I would do the whole thing 10 times over to have just a portion of the unearned, inherited wealth that the monarchy gets!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of anti monarchy. I apreciate the royal family as a way to encourage tourism but nothing more. I really disagree with them having any political presence (symbolic or otherwise) and find the idea that they represent britain to be ridiculous. They get credited with having integrity and admirable value but so would anyone who got to live their lifestyle without any demanding requirements. There job is effectively to look good and they get paid a lot to do it so it is hardly suprising they succeed. They are no more inherantly "british" than anyone else just the titles makes them appear that way. They may be useful in connecting with other countries but only as symbols any real agreements are done by politicians not royals (and rightfully so- we should elect the best for the role, inheriting a position is a very ineffective way to find suitable candidates). Aside from the title they are average people and do not understand the love for them. Aside from being born into the position they have no special qualities. I would much prefer if our focus went to people who showed themselves to have exceptional qualities or admirable traits.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guz2)
    Rubbish. Do you know the five countries with the highest social mobility? Denmark, Norway, Finland, Canada and Sweden, in that order.

Of those five, Finland is the only republic. Canada even shares our Queen.
    My statement is nothing to do with the amount of social mobility we have or how easy it is for someone to move up and down the social ladder, our monarchy is social inequality incarnate where a group of people are born into an official role that allows them a state salary and power over everyone else. They aren't there because of merit or hard work, they are there because of a supposed birth right.

The idea that everyone is born equal is fundamental to our society, in practice is this really the case? No, a middle class kid is probably going to get a better start in life than a working class kid and statistically the middle class kid is more likely to retain his social status as he grows up than the working class kid is to move up. This is an unavoidable result of our society and in reality social inequality will probably always exist in some form or another but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to reduce it and currently we do have a number of tax funded programs in place to try and combat it. Having an institution like the monarchy while all this is going on is completely hypocritical and on principle alone they should not exist.

It isn't a case of how much money they cost, how much tourism they bring in or how they are perceived around the world. It's a case of having a group of people who live a life of luxury on the back of every other person in this country because they happened to be born into a particular family and how it is completely hypocritical to tell everyone they are born equal and will be treat as such when our own head of state was not born equal and is treated better than everyone else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My statement is nothing to do with the amount of social mobility we have or how easy it is for someone to move up and down the social ladder...
    Think as a country for us to bark on about social equality and mobility...
    Um...Yes it was.

...Our monarchy is social inequality incarnate where a group of people are born into an official role that allows them a state salary and power over everyone else. They aren't there because of merit or hard work, they are there because of a supposed birth right.

The idea that everyone is born equal is fundamental to our society, in practice is this really the case? No, a middle class kid is probably going to get a better start in life than a working class kid and statistically the middle class kid is more likely to retain his social status as he grows up than the working class kid is to move up. This is an unavoidable result of our society and in reality social inequality will probably always exist in some form or another but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to reduce it and currently we do have a number of tax funded programs in place to try and combat it. Having an institution like the monarchy while all this is going on is completely hypocritical and on principle alone they should not exist.

It isn't a case of how much money they cost, how much tourism they bring in or how they are perceived around the world. It's a case of having a group of people who live a life of luxury on the back of every other person in this country because they happened to be born into a particular family and how it is completely hypocritical to tell everyone they are born equal and will be treat as such when our own head of state was not born equal and is treated better than everyone else.
    People don't seem to mind it. If most people agreed with you then do you think that yesterday would have seen thousands of people lining the Thames, cheering and waving flags, and millions more watching at home? The Queen provides a public service - she has diplomatic and charitable duties as well as countless other roles - and she has fulfilled them flawlessly for sixty years. Just like any public servant, she gets her money through taxes: if she was doing any other job, the chances are she would have retired over two decades ago. If anything, being born into the Royal Family is more of a curse than a blessing: I would certainly not swap my quiet, private life for one of unwavering public scrutiny and a duty that only expired when I died.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.