The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214

Hey guys! I thought it would be nice to have a kind of question and answer thread for unit 4 biology...someone asks a question..and someone answers ^.^ This is my first unit 4 exam...because my sixth form decided to do ubit 5 first in January..and then unit 4 in june, so I need as much practice as possibleeeee!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Descride the main features of the Krebs cycle, anyone :biggrin:?

Reply 2
Original post by ds4143
Descride the main features of the Krebs cycle, anyone :biggrin:?

please ask me from chapter 1 :wink:
Reply 3
Unit 4 is not too bad, had a question about glass beads that put everyone off so i reckon it will be better second time round :smile:, im not too confident about unit 5 though :s-smilie:.
Reply 4
Original post by andrew_c
Unit 4 is not too bad, had a question about glass beads that put everyone off so i reckon it will be better second time round :smile:, im not too confident about unit 5 though :s-smilie:.

hey do you want to revise for both units ?
Reply 5
Oohh I learnt the glass bead stuff, its not in the text book, but I got a few powerpoints on it ^.^ was the question about why glass beads are used in the 2nd test tube or something?

Reply 6
Ha hey :smile:

What is meant by saltatory conduction :smile:?

Reply 7
Original post by ds4143
Ha hey :smile:

What is meant by saltatory conduction :smile:?

it is the jumping of action potential from one node of ranvier to the next
Reply 8
This is a resit for me :frown: Got a D in January.
Reply 9
Unit 5 I didnt do too well in, I knew the content thoroughly...but I did not practice exam questions...so now im doing all the legacy papers ...they have a mixture of both unit 4 and unit 5 because back then the syllabus was different to ours now... Try practicing them :biggrin: may give you abit more confidence

Reply 10
Original post by ds4143
Unit 5 I didnt do too well in, I knew the content thoroughly...but I did not practice exam questions...so now im doing all the legacy papers ...they have a mixture of both unit 4 and unit 5 because back then the syllabus was different to ours now... Try practicing them :biggrin: may give you abit more confidence

was my answer right? and the leagcy papers like dont have questions that follows our spec ?
Reply 11
It does follow our spec :redface: check them out on www.pastppers.org and go on biology and on the central concepts link, all of that is defo our spec.

And yup your answers correct, also its only in myelinated neurones, ask me :biggrin:

Reply 12
Www.pastpapers.org/central-concepts-biology-papers

Reply 13
Original post by ds4143
It does follow our spec :redface: check them out on www.pastppers.org and go on biology and on the central concepts link, all of that is defo our spec.

And yup your answers correct, also its only in myelinated neurones, ask me :biggrin:

no its not in myleinated neurones well does not mention in the book ?

Describe difference between type1 and type 2 diabetes (3)
Reply 14
Aw, your resitting again in june right?

Reply 15
Original post by ds4143
Aw, your resitting again in june right?

who me?
Reply 16
Oh i just checked, If you look on page 17, the paragraph under the blue box, and the last few lines kinda explain it. I guess you dont really need to mention it as its not in the glossary definition, but just be sure that waves occur in non-mylenated neurones, and jumps occur in myelinated neurones (saltatory conduction). But otherwise you got the answer correct :smile:

Type 1 diabetes occurs in younger people due to their pancreas not producing insulin. A condition called hyperglycaemia occurs, when blood glucose levels remain high.

Type 2 diabetes occurs in older people due to not being able to produce enough insulin or does not respond well to insulin. It can also be linked to obesity.

Reply 17
Original post by ds4143
Oh i just checked, If you look on page 17, the paragraph under the blue box, and the last few lines kinda explain it. I guess you dont really need to mention it as its not in the glossary definition, but just be sure that waves occur in non-mylenated neurones, and jumps occur in myelinated neurones (saltatory conduction). But otherwise you got the answer correct :smile:

Type 1 diabetes occurs in younger people due to their pancreas not producing insulin. A condition called hyperglycaemia occurs, when blood glucose levels remain high.

Type 2 diabetes occurs in older people due to not being able to produce enough insulin or does not respond well to insulin. It can also be linked to obesity.

yes thats fine answer
Reply 18
Original post by otrivine
who me?

Nope sorry was for andrew, I didnt realise that I wasnt quoting who I was replying too, trying to get used to this app on my phone :tongue:

Oh and a question for you.. what are the advantages of using genetically modified bacterua to produce insulin instead of extracting then from aninals?

Reply 19
Original post by DoctorVertigo
This is a resit for me :frown: Got a D in January.

Aw, I didnt do too well in my unit 5 exam in Jan..in fact i didnt do well at all haha, im resitting boths unit >.< are you ready for unit 4?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending