Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) FP1 answers June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 343 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Hi Mr M, thanks for these
    For 9.(ii) your answer is 1/2(1, root3, -root3, 1). I halved everything and left it as a decimal so I got (0.5, 0.866, -0.866, 0.5) Would I still get the marks??

I'm trying to make the brackets look vaguely like a matrix there.
    Also, for the shear question, I put a shear parallel to the x-axis scale factor 2, would that gain any marks?
    Decimals in that matrix is fine.

You might drop a mark there. I haven't looked at a FP1 mark scheme for a few years so I don't know how fussy they are about language.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Probably but not certainly.
    Sorry I double posted now can't edit so ignore my other quote
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again for the answers, I got one half of the matrix right and one half wrong for 9) ii) ? How many marks would I lose?
    • 343 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ugachaka)
    Question 6 (ii) was (1/A - 1)(1/B - 1) where A and B are roots, i think? . I got the answer to this as 3, how did you get 8/5?
    c/a from quadratic?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Decimals in that matrix is fine.

You might drop a mark there. I haven't looked at a FP1 mark scheme for a few years so I don't know how fussy they are about language.
    I also put this, they usually mention the term invariant but it means more or less the same thing :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mr M, could you post Question 6, what was the original quadrtatic?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    c/a from quadratic?
    I think i might have overcomplicated the question, when you subsitute in the (1/u+1)? does this change the roots aswell?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah when you put 1/(u+1) the new roots are (1/x) -1 as that is the point of the substitution
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for qs 6 , would you get a error carried forward for part ii?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by As_Dust_Dances_)
    3/2 - 1/(n+1) - 1/(n+2) or something like that is what I got for 8ii)
    This is correct and would get full marks.

Mr M is far too quick; some of us still have to teach! (A day of FP2 for me)

I can concur with all his (edited) answers. I would suspect that for Q4 n(n2+1) would get full marks, but can't guarantee it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the summation series question (first part) finding the sum to N, instead of simplifying the answer to 3/2 and the n stuff i put 1 + 1/2- 1/n+1 and the other n thing. Would i lose a mark?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjaminKyle)
    how many marks in total would i lose for stupidly drawing the loci |z|=|z-8| due to a misread (so that I ended up with a vertical line through (4,0) .... although i did do the circle and shade the right area of the circle correctly) - however i am worried i've made myself lose a lot of marks here as there was more than one part to the question dependent on the loci (such as the intercepts). Ahh i feel so ridiculous, this kind of problem never normally phases me, i honestly don't know what happened!
    I'd imagine you would get carry on marks anyway, for drawing the wrong loci in the first place.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    would you say this was a harder or easier than average paper? personally i thought the only tricky question was the induction Q which i could not do, but no one else seems to be fased by it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for that induction question you have to do [SUM OF 4*3^k] + [4*3^(k+1)] since you have assume P(k) to be true you can then use it again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazymanny00)
    for that induction question you have to do [SUM OF 4*3^k] + [4*3^(k+1)] since you have assume P(k) to be true you can then use it again
    i did that but i couldn't get it into the right format. how many marks do you think i lost
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,
    I may have been a little bit silly and misread 6ii and thought that they were asking for (1/α -1) and (1/β -1) to be worked out separately. I worked these out to be:
    -11/10 +- i root(39)/10

How many marks out of three do you think I would get?
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why was the rotation clockwise, because according to the formula book, its anticlockwise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	153224

because when you do cos -1 (0.5) you get 60 degrees so it must be 60 degrees anticlockwise
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaKim)
    why was the rotation clockwise, because according to the formula book, its anticlockwise

because when you do cos -1 (0.5) you get 60 degrees so it must be 60 degrees anticlockwise
    You need to look at the sin part. -sin(60) = -0.866 when we wanted it to be positive in that position.

So the angle we are rotating anticlockwise must be -60
    Hence 60 degrees clockwise
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TehCoolNerd)
    You need to look at the sin part. -sin(60) = -0.866 when we wanted it to be positive in that position.

So the angle we are rotating anticlockwise must be -60
    Hence 60 degrees clockwise
    so why does the cos bit give you positive 60?

oh, i get it!!! how many marks will i loose???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaKim)

I double checked by drawing a diagram of the unit square under the transformation and it turns 60 degrees clockwise. That was also the formula I used

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.