• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    why are poeple racist
    Fear.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    AFAIK, according to the science we're all going to have black (or dark skinned) ancestors as Africa is recognised as the origin of all modern humans and the kind of environment which produces such dark skin. Obviously we're talking about ancient ancestry here but ancestry nonetheless. I've also read a study a while back that suggested white Australians would, in 20,000 years or so, be and have dark skinned descendants through the impact of the environment (most obviously the strong sunlight) on natural selection.
    Ha, what science is that? It's no longer survival of the fittest- have you heard of sun block? Man has overcome the most immediate threats to survival in the wild: big predators, water and food scarcity and rampant diseases (at least in the developed world, which includes Australia fyi). Even the severely handicapped can live to pass on their genes, because they dont have to outrun sabre tooth cats or hunt their own food. Sexual selection is the only governing principle in our evolution at present (and that's debatable). Haha, just have to chuckle at that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Well, I'm no more likely to have sex with a black person - so in what sense are we distinguishing between particular gene pools?
    What the **** are you talking about?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Racism is just bad lol
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whofan)
    what are you on about? are cameron and clegg white supremacists or something? is every coalition policy designed to further the cause of their white supremacy?

this is not a white controlled country. it is a european country which is run, surprise surprise, by europeans.

the fact that you have called it a 'white' controlled country, as if thats negative, is racism. i very much doubt you would berate the chinese for being controlled by those pesky 'yellow' people. or india by those bigoted 'brown' people.

no, only white people have to hear that they cannot be victims of racism just because they are in a majority.

for one, tell kris donald he was not the victim of racism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kriss_Donald
    This post demonstrates precisely why people aren't quite understanding the concept of racism. Most of what you say here has little relevance to what I was saying in my post.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    What are they ignorant of exactly?
    ignorant of the multikult
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    When whites are still the ones who hold economic and political power in this country, it raises a question as to whether they are in fact capable of being victims of "racism".
    I think people are confusing racism with reverse-racism/racial stereotyping etc.

No one's denying that whites are sometimes victims due to the colour of their skin, but "racism" isn't quite the right term.

This claim that in a white controlled country, whites are victims of racism, is one made by the tabloids and media, who don't fully understand what they're talking about. And the general public, as usual, are lapping it up like sheep. This is dangerous stuff, because it not only takes attention away from teh existing racism, but actually turns it on it's head and makes out the victims to be the oppressors, which is not possible because they don't have the power in this country.
    Rich whites control economic and political power, poor whites get treated the same as poor blacks, asians anyone, it's just there are more rich whites than rich blacks or asians, it doesn't mean whites can't be victims, because it presupposes a united white collective which does not exist. Saying that whites nomatter how wealthy they're not, nomatter where they live are unable to be victims of racism, is divide and conquer by middle and upper class whites to control people who look different but are very much the same, this in turn causes more racism because telling working class whites they cannot be victims has led to the EDL and other misguided movements who do not target the causes of their problems in also leads directly to the belief that anti-racist=anti-white and prevents white working classes taking a stand because nobody who leads a tough life would take a stand against something they've been conditioned into believing cannot effect them. There is no such thing as reverse-racism, the word is racism and it can effect anyone.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpanda)
    Ha, what science is that? It's no longer survival of the fittest- have you heard of sun block? Man has overcome the most immediate threats to survival in the wild: big predators, water and food scarcity and rampant diseases (at least in the developed world, which includes Australia fyi). Even the severely handicapped can live to pass on their genes, because they dont have to outrun sabre tooth cats or hunt their own food. Sexual selection is the only governing principle in our evolution at present (and that's debatable). Haha, just have to chuckle at that.
    As far as I'm aware the mainstream scientific position is that we all have African ancestry because modern humans came out of Africa. Are you disputing that? That's the science I made reference to or did you just not read my post. As far as my other point is concerned, you could be right that things like sunblock will be a factor to take into account should humans be around in 20,000 years time. Whether or not sunblock (etc) would prevent a general trend towards darker skin from white populations that have transplanted themselves to strong-sunlight parts of the world is, however, yet to be seen, though not by us.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    only the less important or severe 'reverse racism'
    Who said reverse racism was less severe or important?

(Original post by Ano1)
    so much fail in 1 post
    It's a statement. But without backup.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This post demonstrates precisely why people aren't quite understanding the concept of racism. Most of what you say here has little relevance to what I was saying in my post.

well, i edited my post.

i understand that your definition of racism is actually racist. your definition originated in the pre civil rights era american south. it has no relevance today.

even during pre civil rights era america, white people could still be victims of racism on an individual level. when you start describing racism through collectives the description then becomes racist itself -- why? because racism is discrimination or violence ( emotional of physical ) directed against an individual based upon a sense of perceived racial collective guilt.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who said reverse racism was less severe or important?
    Why would people invent a word which makes no sense unless it meant somethingn else, racism is racism? People of every race have been killed, raped, assaulted, discriminated against or simply had their problems ignored on the basis of race, it's the same thing. You don't have to be a minority to be a victim as the helots of Sparta knew, and if you do, a white person could turn round and say, that in their locale they are a minority.

If you google 'white working class' the next word google will give you is 'underachievement' and loads of articles are about how white working classes and underrepresented in pretty much every same place and blacks or asians are, now tell me that white working classes hold power.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Racism I think, personally anyway, comes from the whole tribe thing.
    I mean you go back to when it was roughly 50 people in a tribe you'd be likely to find people reacted the way a racist does in regards to a different tribe.
    It's just a way of collecting yourself into a group and then being the better group by either raising yourself above the other group or lowering the other group in the eyes of your own.
    From this thinking the seeds of racism are planted as children see the adults of their society react in a certain way to another group and they grow up thinking that all people belonging to that group act in this pre-defined way. You can see this thinking in people's sterotyping of the poor, rich, from certain parts of the country and so on.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i understand that your definition of racism is actually racist.
    When racially motivated attacks, reverse racism, and racial discrimination (which is what white people can suffer at the hands of other races) are equally as serious as racism, I don't see how my definition of racism is in fact racist. That would suggest that racism is somehow more serious than these other terms.

My point is - racial stereotyping and racially motivated abuse towards white people is equally as serious as racism and should be treated as such. But we must stop bandying the word "racism" around in terms of applying it to white people because that particular term doesn't apply (in this country anyway), and only fuels the pseudo logic of the right wing, who seem to be getting more of a hold now because of this sudden hysterical claim that white people are suffering more racism than anyone else. Which is reasonably clever of them, because it seems to be working. People are buying into it hook line and sinker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When racially motivated attacks, reverse racism, and racial discrimination (which is what white people can suffer at the hands of other races) are equally as serious as racism, I don't see how my definition of racism is in fact racist. That would suggest that racism is somehow more serious than these other terms.

My point is - racial stereotyping and racially motivated abuse towards white people is equally as serious as racism and should be treated as such. But we must stop bandying the word "racism" around in terms of applying it to white people because that particular term doesn't apply (in this country anyway), and only fuels the pseudo logic of the right wing, who seem to be getting more of a hold now because of this sudden hysterical claim that white people are suffering more racism than anyone else. Which is reasonably clever of them, because it seems to be working. People are buying into it hook line and sinker.

so how many 'racisms' are there exactly?

racism is racism. there is no 'reverse racism' -- 'reverse racism' is racism.

'racial discrimination' is racism.

so, using the example of kris donald. what exactly was kris donald the victim of?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would people invent a word which makes no sense unless it meant somethingn else
    Because it does mean something else.

People of every race have been killed, raped, assaulted, discriminated against or simply had their problems ignored on the basis of race
    Sure. Racial discrimination, racial stereotyping, racially motivated attacks etc. - but still doesn't equal racism.

If you google 'white working class' the next word google will give you is 'underachievement' and loads of articles are about how white working classes and underrepresented in pretty much every same place and blacks or asians are, now tell me that white working classes hold power.
    I guess if "google search" says it, then it must be true eh? :rolleyes:

The same thing applies to "sexism" - sexism is the oppression of females by males due to the fact that males are in power (which generally they still are). It is in the same way not the correct term for a male who is discriminated against by a female. This would not in fact be "sexism" rather "sexual discrimination".

The point I'm trying to make on this thread is in these matters, it's quite important to get our terminology correct, not just bandy the words "racism" and "sexism" around like whining sheep who don't really know the true meanings of the words. What people don't understand when presented with this point is that it does not actually detract from the seriousness of the offence that it is racial or sexual discrimination, as opposed to racism and sexism. It is equally serious, just theoretically and strictly speaking, not the same thing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

I'll put aside my view that reverse-racism is a nonsensical phrase which only makes sense if you believe racism=prejudice+power, if you wake up and realise that working class whites are just as powerless as the people who in your mind who can be vicitms of racism and then you'll see that racism can then be applied to them, because they do not belong to a dominat group.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    so, using the example of kris donald. what exactly was kris donald the victim of?
    He was the victim of a racially motivated assault. Not racism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He was the victim of a racially motivated assault. Not racism.

:confused::confused:

( and no, it was a racist torture murder. not a mere 'assault'. racist asians burnt him alive. )
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    racism=prejudice+power, if you wake up and realise that working class whites are just as powerless as the people who in your mind who can be vicitms of racism and then you'll see that racism can then be applied to them, because they do not belong to a dominat group.
    Effectively what you're saying is that working class whites are a different race to middle and upper class whites, which doesn't seem to make sense. They may be a different class, but they are the same race.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Effectively what you're saying is that working class whites are a different race to middle and upper class whites, which doesn't seem to make sense. They may be a different class, but they are the same race.

so, what you are saying is, because some rich white person exists then by definition all white people, regardless of their economic status, share that rich persons privilege?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.