Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are roundabouts just a free for all?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not the little ones, I can do them.

The big ones. The ones that have a proper island in the middle.

People come round indicating right and turn off at the next exit without indicating left.

Then you have the people who leave the roundabout from where you are coming from without signalling.

So muggins here is sitting at the edge of the roundabout waiting for a space to come when people are turning off the roundabout without signalling... grrrr

Then you get those big cars that pull up next to you so you can't see whats coming round :rolleyes:

Then you get the plonker that stuck a sign on the edge that restricts your view of what's coming....

In the test, if you sit there waiting for a gap, when there is a gap from people who have not signalled or anything (but you don't want to pull away in case another car is coming) then do you get a minor or anything?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you pull out and a cars coming that's a major!

But I know what you mean, especially the not signalling!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will get a minor for hesitation if you sit around while there is a space for you to go, on the other hand if you pull put and someone else has to brake because you pulled out, its a major.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, if I pull out when I think the gap is big enough for me to get out of, then that's fine. It's just I have to pick up speed quickly after getting out to make sure I don't slow the car down!

Sometimes you can't see the cars indicators when they are coming round (when the roundabout has a sort of wall around it) so I can see a line of cars coming round, but I only see their indicators when they are close to me, so if one is leaving where I am coming from, I could go, but knowing my luck the next car would be coming round in from of me.

Then again, if I sit there waiting, all the cars will leave at the exit I am sitting at!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This frustrates me so much. I was turning right at a roundabout and when I got to the last exit, some person pulled out whilst I was about to pass his car - He had no excuse it was one of those mini roundabouts and he was less than a meter away from me.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good way to judge... Think the moment your about to pull out - Do I have enough space between me and the other car if my car was to stall
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't pull off fast at the moment, so I like to wait for a big gap

Also the people who do U-Turns on mini roundabouts -_-
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Not the little ones, I can do them.

The big ones. The ones that have a proper island in the middle.

People come round indicating right and turn off at the next exit without indicating left.

Then you have the people who leave the roundabout from where you are coming from without signalling.

So muggins here is sitting at the edge of the roundabout waiting for a space to come when people are turning off the roundabout without signalling... grrrr

Then you get those big cars that pull up next to you so you can't see whats coming round :rolleyes:

Then you get the plonker that stuck a sign on the edge that restricts your view of what's coming....

In the test, if you sit there waiting for a gap, when there is a gap from people who have not signalled or anything (but you don't want to pull away in case another car is coming) then do you get a minor or anything?
    Do you mean when you are in the left lane and someone pulls up in the right lane? Because you can generally assume that once they pull off, it's safe for you to do so as well.

I hate drivers that don't indicate though when they're coming off just before your entrance! Especially in rush hour when that would have been your only chance to go for bloody ages
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Do you mean when you are in the left lane and someone pulls up in the right lane? Because you can generally assume that once they pull off, it's safe for you to do so as well.

I hate drivers that don't indicate though when they're coming off just before your entrance! Especially in rush hour when that would have been your only chance to go for bloody ages
    I can't pull off as fast as them so i'll end up with a car in my side :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok well in that case I think you just need to practice pulling off a bit quicker Sometimes though when I do pull off (I pull off at a reasonable speed) once i've seen the car on the right side of me pull off, I soon realise how much of a daredevil they were!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dealing with numpty drivers is part of the test so accept it as that

The examiner is looking for you missing the obvious gap
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally I found my speed of pulling off drastically increased when I started roundabouts. Nothing like a bit of fear to act as an incentive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also the people who do U-Turns on mini roundabouts -_-
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try living in Milton Keynes.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Einsteinius)
    Good way to judge... Think the moment your about to pull out - Do I have enough space between me and the other car if my car was to stall
    This.

However, don't ask yourself whether there will be a significant amount of space between you and on-coming cars if you were to stall. Consider whether you can leave your exit without causing other cars on the roundabout (who have priority over you) to slow down or brake harshly.

Same thing as what Einsteinius said really, just think about safety when dealing with roundabouts
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand your gripes OP, especially people not indicating. I basically just try and wait until a car comes off at my exit, effectively blocking anyone to my right from moving off.

I know the feeling of being sat at a roundabout for what feels like hours, but you just have to wait for that safe gap and go for it. An examiner would much rather you wait another 5 seconds and pull off safely, rather than race someone onto the roundabout. Keep practising and you'll get it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.