The Student Room Group

What social 'class' am I?

I know it's not particularly important in modern Britain but I am still a little curious to discover how other people would view me classwise. I think of myself as a bit of an inbetweener, not really fitting into any well defined social group.

Anyway.. a little of my background:

I live in a pretty affluent suburban town in the South East of England. My Father is an insurance underwriter and my Mother is a medical receptionist. I went to a comprehensive school (all-be-it an above average one) and then went on to my local six form college to do my A levels. I am now studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton. Meanwhile, I prefer football to rugby, I vote Labour, I enjoy a pint over a Pimms and I do not and shall never wear any Jack Wills garments.

So based on this what would you say my social class is likely to be?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

middle
Reply 2
hmmm that's tricky... i think you need to answer a few more questions:

what do you call the porcelain thing where you do your business ?

how do you pronounce the eighth letter of the alphabet ?

do you say scone or scone ?

do you use serviettes or napkins at the evening meal ?

what do you call your evening meal ?

thank you for your attention. we will make a final decision on your social class based on your answers to these questions and the other information you have provided.

yours sincerely

Marmaduke Fitzpercy

TSR Social Secretary
Purely by virtue of the fact that you used the word "garments" I'd say upper-middle.
Reply 4
clearly middle - virtually the definition.

not upper middle
Original post by the bear

do you say scone or scone ?

scone. Are there really people who say "scone"?
Reply 6
what do you call the porcelain thing where you do your business ?

Toilet.

how do you pronounce the eighth letter of the alphabet ?

Haitch

do you say scon or scone ?

Scone.

do you use serviettes or napkins at the evening meal ?

Only on Sundays/special occassions.

what do you call your evening meal ?

Dinner.

thank you for your attention. we will make a final decision on your social class based on your answers to these questions and the other information you have provided.

yours sincerely

Marmaduke Fitzpercy

TSR Social Secretary

^ lol you're meant to choose either serviettes or napkins, the first is non-U, the second is U (/end Mitford language)

Gosh OP you sound like most people, lower/middle middle I'd say.
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
scone. Are there really people who say "scone"?

i would not go out with a girl if she said scone... it is pronounced scone
Reply 9
Original post by Torpedo Fish
Toilet.

Haitch

Scone.

Only on Sundays/special occassions.

Dinner.

Cheers geezer you are well Millwall innit

millwall.jpg
Original post by chinaberry
^ lol you're meant to choose either serviettes or napkins, the first is non-U, the second is U (/end Mitford language)

Gosh OP you sound like most people, lower/middle middle I'd say.

Oh.. :redface:

I'm not too sure on that one, I've probably called them both napkins and serviettes at some point. If I had to guess I'd probably say I've used the word serviette more throughout my life time.
Reply 11
i would not go out with a girl if she said scone... it is pronounced scone

I'm confused, isn't everyone just typing "scone" the exact same way every time?

I go for "skon" and as far as I know that's a Scottish thing not a class thing :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by conway!
I'm confused, isn't everyone just typing "scone" the exact same way every time?

I go for "skon" and as far as I know that's a Scottish thing not a class thing :smile:

perhaps you are thinking of the Stone of Scone... or the Stonn of Skonn
Why do you care what social class you are?
Cheers geezer you are well Millwall innit

millwall.jpg

Lol.. Really?

Well that's a surprise.
You're working class. Undoubtedly.
Reply 16
perhaps you are thinking of the Stone of Scone... or the Stonn of Skonn

Nah, I'm thinking of the thing you put butter on :P
Reply 17
Original post by Torpedo Fish
I know it's not particularly important in modern Britain but I am still a little curious to discover how other people would view me classwise. I think of myself as a bit of an inbetweener, not really fitting into any well defined social group.

Anyway.. a little of my background:

I live in a pretty affluent suburban town in the South East of England. My Father is an insurance underwriter and my Mother is a medical receptionist. I went to a comprehensive school (all-be-it an above average one) and then went on to my local six form college to do my A levels. I am now studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton. Meanwhile, I prefer football to rugby, I vote Labour, I enjoy a pint over a Pimms and I do not and shall never wear any Jack Wills garments.

So based on this what would you say my social class is likely to be?

"Garment" is an odd choice, as apart from that, I had you as edging towards the upper echelons of lower-middle, bordering on middle-middle, as proven by your preference for beer over Pimms, your University choice (although I believe S'oton is also going more private school), your love of football, etc. Your polite sneering at JW with all of the inverse snobbery of the "one too good for it" does however suggest a tint of upper-middle pretension, since JW is now widely looked down on by UMC types as a downwardly mobile label for wannabee aspirationals.

Perhaps something strange is happening to you - are you mixing with private school types at Southampton and becoming, perhaps against your will, slightly Upper Middle?
Original post by Luke Williams
You're working class. Undoubtedly.

He's undoubtedly not working class.

'working' class, the clue is in the name. This social group is comprised of blue collar workers, not people studying Chemistry at a top 20 university.
Reply 19
Original post by Chucklefiend
He's undoubtedly not working class.

'working' class, the clue is in the name. This social group is comprised of blue collar workers, not people studying Chemistry at a top 20 university.

Although his ID name, "Torpedo Fish", suggests working class.

I think we have here someone in transition, moving both in his family and social circles from the lower parts of white collar towards something Better and More Aspiring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending