Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Upcoming ideas to improve shape - thoughts?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is a thread continuing from the one I made earlier: "Getting sick of unhealthy student life style - but not motivated enough to improve".

To summarise, I have always had a big build (not muscular) but since coming to uni (I've been for a couple of years now) I've eaten a lot more of the wrong types of food mainly due to convenience. Also there's the alcohol. Although having a fair bit of both is extremely common among students, most of them don't exactly have a body that they would consider out of shape, whereas I think mine is out of shape. I know what I want to achieve but with things like uni work, assignments, tiredness, late nights and whatnot, I just kept putting it off throughout the year. I have gone to the gym at numerous points but it didn't really make a difference (due to a crap student diet probably).

Okay then, here is what I've got planned at the moment.

After my accommodation contract expires, I have applied for a summer accommodation contract extension for 6 weeks. I am completely free during that period and I'll also have some money coming in; I thought if I do want to improve my fitness I should do it while I've got a clear head - i.e. no worry about exams or assignments or anything. What I'll do is buy a bicycle and maybe just ride it around places instead of walking (as it takes less time, great exercise and more fun). I've also picked up a set of body analyser scales - all in all, I have average muscle mass (40%) but about 20% body fat and I'm almost 15 stone.

Also after googling how many calories are in a Domino's pizza I was a bit shocked, and although they are lush, I just wonder why they are so popular among students despite being very expensive, considering how you can get perfectly good oven pizzas for about £3.

Although my gut could be a lot worse, I want to become more lean and increase the proportion of muscle and get the proportion of fat to decrease to a healthier level. Basically I want it to look like I have a chest and not a belly. Someone I know on my course who is very sporty and athletically fit said to me that if I spent 6 weeks going to the gym, 6 days a week (alternating between an hour on cardio one day and an hour on weights the next day) then I would notice considerable effects. How true is this and would it be recommended?

Basic ideas to consider:
    - Go to the gym very regularly soon (6 times a week)
    - Cycle around the place if I need to go to town etc.
    - Look for a bike track
    - Start using a skipping rope again
    - Consider taking up swimming if there is a local indoor pool

So basically, I don't want to change my body size (as that would pretty much invalidate all my clothes), I want to tone up and become more muscular for my size.

Also does anyone have any more advice on how to keep motivated, and also fitness tips?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with it.

To answer your questions
    - Domino's pizzas are popular cos they taste aesthetic as ****

- don't see any problem in going to the gym 6 days a week alternating cardio and weights, but maybe throw in some HIIT (high intensity interval training), and ease into it gently! going straight for 6 days a week, you'll injure yourself or burn out quickly and lose motivation.

- if you want to still fit in your clothes but lose significant body fat, you're going to have to gain significant muscle. This probably will take at least a year.

- don't trust those body analyser scales, they're inaccurate as hell. Take measurements of thighs, hips, waist and chest, arms too, with a tape measure. Take pictures each week to keep yourself motivated and to see if you're actually progressing. Photos should be taken in the same conditions i.e. same time of day, same lighting, same location, same pose/angle.

- if you are to weigh yourself regularly, be consistent with it -first thing in the morning, naked. Consistency means that the measurements are actually useful to compare.

lastly

- don't make excuses. Many people lead very busy lives and still manage to get some regularly exercise in. It's all about priorities and ordering your priorities, and deciding how important exercise is to you. Prioritisation of time and/or money.

"Do or do not, there is no try". and "If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse".

oh and FINALLY finally
    good luck man
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    - don't make excuses. Many people lead very busy lives and still manage to get some regularly exercise in. It's all about priorities and ordering your priorities, and deciding how important exercise is to you. Prioritisation of time and/or money.

"Do or do not, there is no try". and "If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse".

oh and FINALLY finally
    good luck man
    Very true

Good luck

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.