Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where Do We Go When We Die?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: where would you like to go?
    Heaven
    22.45%
    Hell
    2.04%
    I don't care
    20.41%
    Other
    55.10%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because he is the only one who died and came back to life three days later, Jesus knows more about death than everyone who has speculated about what happens after we die. Even near-death experiences do not tell the whole story.

Believers

Jesus told the dying thief on the cross next to him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43) Jesus told his disciples, "I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:3). So, believers go to be with Jesus when they die.

Non-believers

Jesus told a parable about a rich man who was a non-believer. "The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away." (Luke 16:22-23) Jesus also said, "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched'." (Mark 9:47-48). Even though Jesus was exaggerating for emphasis when he said "Pluck it out," it is clear that non-believers go to a horrible place called hell.

Hell: Hades and Gehenna

Jesus used two different words for hell. The first is Hades which is a temporary place where the dead go until the final judgment. Sometimes Hades is translated as grave. "The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done." (Revelation 22:13)
    The second word is Gehenna which literally referred to the Valley of Hinnom, which was Jerusalem's dump where the garbage was burned. Figuratively, Gehenna refers to the lake of fire. "Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." (Revelation 22:15-16)

Paradise, the Millennium and the New Jerusalem

Paradise is also a temporary place for believers. When Jesus returns to the earth, he will bring with him all of the believers who have died. They and the believers who are still alive will reign with Jesus during the Millennium, the one thousand year period when Jesus is king over all the earth. See 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17, Revelation 20:4-6.
    At the end of the Millennium comes the final judgment described above. "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:1-4)

Summary

People who believe in God and trust in Jesus to save them go to be with Jesus in Paradise. People who do not believe in God or who trust in their own goodness to save them go to Hades. When Jesus returns to the Earth, believers who have died will come with him and reign for 1,000 years. After that, God will judge everyone for their actions at the Great White Throne Judgment. Non-believers are thrown into the Lake of Fire along with Satan and his demons. Believers will then spend eternity with God in the New Jerusalem.

Where will you go when you die?

Ty for all the rep, green and red much appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The ground or the crematorium.

I would be genuinely interested to see if TSR evangelism ever converted anyone. My guess is probably not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graveyards

Hope this helps.
    Have a nice day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ground. When a boy I knew died, he was cremated, his ashes were buried and a tree planted on top. His parents then said he'd probably have liked the idea of turning into a tree. That idea is far more amazing and comforting to me that any silly notions of lakes of sulphur or kingdoms in the sky.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no evidence to suggest we "go" anywhere.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You die, you go into the ground or cremated. Either way the energy that was once you, the same energy that was born in the death of stars, is going to move on to some other universal beneficiary. In effect what makes you has always been in existence and always will be. Feel better?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Belgium
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To the grave.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    funny, how no one would want to go hell though...hmmm, interesting :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about "nowhere"? I believe that seeing as our brain stops functioning - which controls our thoughts, feelings, etc. (Our decisions aren't made by our hearts, and there is evidence against the physical idea of a "soul") - then everything, for the person who died, just stops. Sounds depressing, and that's why some people turn to God - they desperately want there to be something after death.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who says we go anywhere in the first place? Who says there's definitely somewhere else beyond this mortal coil?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Who says we go anywhere in the first place? Who says there's definitely somewhere else beyond this mortal coil?
    jesus christ...whether you believe or not but he was the only one who promised us such.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is a deep understanding within us that is urging to tell us where we will go after death. We just need to listen to it instead of desperately suppresing it like some do. Pretending that death doesn't exist won't make it go away. Just think about how short this life actually is. There is nothing real for us here.

"Nothing fills the belly of the son of Adam except dust."
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to either be put in a glass coffin and shot into space... see how far i can get without hitting something or have my ashes placed into a little ball (about the size of a pokeball) and shot into outer space. They should figure out how to do that by the time I die.

To answer the OP's q.... I think we will go to the eternal naught, the complete nothingness that we struggle to comprehend.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who says we're dying?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leukybear)
    jesus christ...whether you believe or not but he was the only one who promised us such.
    The questions were more rhetorical - Not asking them literally (I'm aware of the basics of which people had mystical powers attributed to them), but more as a the idea of an afterlife is nonsensical (IMO). Once death comes, that is the end as far as I'm concerned.

(Original post by amime)
    I'm hoping to either be put in a glass coffin and shot into space... see how far i can get without hitting something or have my ashes placed into a little ball (about the size of a pokeball) and shot into outer space. They should figure out how to do that by the time I die.

To answer the OP's q.... I think we will go to the eternal naught, the complete nothingness that we struggle to comprehend.
    Better yet - in an actual pokeball.

Ashes' I choose you! :ahee:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because he is the only one who died and came back to life three days later

Actually, the god Osiris died and came back three days later as the Kristic messiah.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think my favourite part was "even though jesus was exaggerating for emphasis" makes me imagine you and jesus rolling around nazareth as bezzies
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

This from about 40 seconds in.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leukybear)
    Even if that was true (Which it obviously isn't, considering virtually every religion has some sort of plan for us in the afterlife), why would that make his claim credible?

(Original post by Spaz Man)
    There is a deep understanding within us that is urging to tell us where we will go after death. We just need to listen to it instead of desperately suppresing it like some do. Pretending that death doesn't exist won't make it go away. Just think about how short this life actually is. There is nothing real for us here.

"Nothing fills the belly of the son of Adam except dust."
    I can safely say that I'm repressing no such urge.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.