The Student Room Group

AAB universities?

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking at Kent for my AAB university, and Law with a year in Hong Kong (kent) as an AAA
Swansea?
(My sister thought about applying there, and the requirements were aab)
Original post by sara :D
Most of the universities I have been looking at (Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham etc) all ask for AAA, some even boosting grade requirements to A*AA (damn you Nottingham).

In case I am unable able to achieve these grades, could anyone suggest any universities, that are still reputable for law, that accept AAB (not just sometimes), or perhaps even ABB. I'm really not sure how my AS's went, as I always seem to do a lot better in my exams than I do in the preceding weeks, but I cannot be sure if it'll be the case this time round.

Edit: Just to clarify, I will still be looking chiefly at universities accepting AAA, but am looking for one AAB/ABB university in case I don't do as well as expected!

I have a friend with an AAB offer from Durham...If you look hard enough, you'll find a course very similar to yours with lower requirements. :smile:
Original post by sara :D
x

Have you considered Surrey?
Original post by nulli tertius
You could study abroad you know... Nottingham or Leicester :smile:

Oooh, don't know about that, bit exotic for my liking :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Rancorous
I don't mean to put Reading down, it is actually an ok uni and has a good RAE rating for law, so maybe it wasn't the best example...but it isn't considered as good as any university in the Russell Group at which the OP may have a realistic shot. And this is a bit controversial but with the exceptions of a couple of universities like Bath, given recent defections, the Russell Group is to me more and more looking like the Ivy League of good universities in this country.

I'm not trying to start a debate here at all, but the Russell group isn't the Ivy league and cannot be compared to it. Of course it contains many of the best universities in the UK, however the group cannot be considered "elite" when one member ranked 42nd in a respected league table this year (QMUL). By claiming the RG is equivalent to the Ivy league is basically claiming that Liverpool, good university don't get me wrong (my mum studied there), is better than Bath and St Andrews.
Original post by swbp
I'm not trying to start a debate here at all, but the Russell group isn't the Ivy league and cannot be compared to it. Of course it contains many of the best universities in the UK, however the group cannot be considered "elite" when one member ranked 42nd in a respected league table this year (QMUL). By claiming the RG is equivalent to the Ivy league is basically claiming that Liverpool, good university don't get me wrong (my mum studied there), is better than Bath and St Andrews.

You've taken my statement completely out of context. You have to take into account the language I'm using and the exceptions I've made; I mentioned Bath and was also particularly thinking of St. Andrews as well, (regardless both don't offer qualifying law degrees in England). I would also dispute that ranking, and I hardly think the Independent's is particularly respected; I think it's one of the worst league tables around, even perhaps worse than The Guardian's, because it is not honest about the criteria it uses to formulate rankings. If you look at the criteria on the top of the main table and think universities are ranked by those alone, you would be wrong. That university which ranks at 42, ranks between 11-30ish for all of those criteria. What it doesn't tell you obviously is that how 'green' universities are as well as other awkward measures are taken into account. In international league tables that university ranks around 15th in the country, and the Sunday Times has it around 20th - which, if anything, shows how volatile rankings can be. Regardless, that's a point for another time, perhaps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
You've taken my statement completely out of context. You have to take into account the language I'm using and the exceptions I've made; I mentioned Bath and was also particularly thinking of St. Andrews as well, (regardless both don't offer qualifying law degrees in England). I would also dispute that ranking, and I hardly think the Independent's is particularly respected; I think it's one of the worst league tables around, even perhaps worse than The Guardian's, because it is not honest about the criteria it uses to formulate rankings, (if you look at the criteria on the top of the main table and think universities are ranked by those alone, you would be wrong; that university which ranks at 42, ranks between 11-30ish for all of those criteria. What it doesn't tell you obviously is that how 'green' universities are as well as other awkward measures are taken into account). Regardless, that's a point for another time, perhaps.

They don't actually offer a Scots law degree either.
Reply 48
You've taken my statement completely out of context. You have to take into account the language I'm using and the exceptions I've made; I mentioned Bath and was also particularly thinking of St. Andrews as well, (regardless both don't offer qualifying law degrees in England). I would also dispute that ranking, and I hardly think the Independent's is particularly respected; I think it's one of the worst league tables around, even perhaps worse than The Guardian's, because it is not honest about the criteria it uses to formulate rankings. If you look at the criteria on the top of the main table and think universities are ranked by those alone, you would be wrong. That university which ranks at 42, ranks between 11-30ish for all of those criteria. What it doesn't tell you obviously is that how 'green' universities are as well as other awkward measures are taken into account. In international league tables that university ranks around 15th in the country, and the Sunday Times has it around 20th - which, if anything, shows how volatile rankings can be. Regardless, that's a point for another time, perhaps.

QM actually ranks 'so low' only because of the Good Honours which nowadays has little to do with the quality of teaching, well-prepared students, etc. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?v=wide
These are supposed to be all that measures taken into account. Without the good honours, Queen Mary would be in top 30.
Reply 49
kent is something like AAB/ABB
Reply 50
Original post by silence18
QM actually ranks 'so low' only because of the Good Honours which nowadays has little to do with the quality of teaching, well-prepared students, etc. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?v=wide
These are supposed to be all that measures taken into account. Without the good honours, Queen Mary would be in top 30.

But 'good honours' is something that it makes a lot of sense to include. Who wants to get a 2:2?
Reply 51
Original post by Norton1
But 'good honours' is something that it makes a lot of sense to include. Who wants to get a 2:2?

Yes, but on the other hand you wouldn't suggest that I should study at Gloucestershire(where 68.9% get a 2.1 or a 1st) instead, would you?
I would rather say that there is a problem with other unis giving an unjustified number of 2.1s.

Maybe, it's difficult to work out how they're formulating the ranking.

All that element of the table is doing is encouraging degree inflation. Regardless, one can see on unistats.co.uk that to take those statistics into account can be palpably false for many subjects. Nottingham traditionally awards 1sts in law to about 3% of students. QM awarded 11% last year, the same as KCL and, I think, UCL. Around 60-70% 2:1s. For other subjects, the 1st rate is anything to 30-40%. It's difficult to see how they sum up all the different students, doing completely different subjects to get any sort of reasonable statistic on this.
Reply 53

You've made som good points about QMUL internationally, I applied there myself, but honestly the independant guide is far more accurate than the gaurdian. Imperial college below Surrey? Heriot Watt above Sussex, Birmingham and Manchester?
Aberdeen has very high graduate prospects and student satisfaction. And is 13th in the UK for law.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

The really dodgy entries are the spending entries. Rank the universities by the spending criteria and then apply some common sense to balance of cheap/expensive courses, library facilities, wage levels etc.

Then tell me how the highest facilities spend per capita in the country is by Hertfordshire with Bucks New 2nd, Cambridge 6th and Oxford 79th
Original post by swbp
You've made som good points about QMUL internationally, I applied there myself, but honestly the independant guide is far more accurate than the gaurdian. Imperial college below Surrey? Heriot Watt above Sussex, Birmingham and Manchester?

Perhaps it is more accurate in terms of the results it gets; but at least the criteria which are used are clear in the latter, so you can see how the rankings are sort of determined. But I think when you have that sort of quality table to rely on, it becomes very difficult to really find out what university is good and which is not, and that's why I suggested the Russell Group is becoming more and more a benchmark for that, in my opinion; although, I accept that assertion is contestable especially on the basis of its exceptions.
Reply 57
Original post by nulli tertius
The really dodgy entries are the spending entries. Rank the universities by the spending criteria and then apply some common sense to balance of cheap/expensive courses, library facilities, wage levels etc.

Then tell me how the highest facilities spend per capita in the country is by Hertfordshire with Bucks New 2nd, Cambridge 6th and Oxford 79th

This measure tends to disadvantage some collegiate universities, as it mostly includes central university expenditure. In Oxford and Cambridge, for example, a significant amount of facilities expenditure is by the colleges but it has not yet been possible to extract comparable data from the college accounts.

That would explain why Oxford ranks so low, but yeah, that's a dodgy criterion!
Reply 58
Original post by swbp

To be fair the Ivy League itself is hardly a flawless top 8 in America, it's a group based on commitment to academic standards in its sports teams (as many colleges will give out an offer to anyone who is a future NFL player). For exceptions similar to Bath and St Andrews I suspect Stanford, MIT, CalTech etc. would have something to say about the Ivies being the undisputed top 8.

The RG is a bigger group in a smaller country so it isn't as elite academically, but the fundamental problem of applying a grouping based on something not entirely related (purity of college sport and size of research budget respectively) to deciding which are the 'best' unis is the same in both cases.
Reply 59
Original post by roh
To be fair the Ivy League itself is hardly a flawless top 8 in America, it's a group based on commitment to academic standards in its sports teams (as many colleges will give out an offer to anyone who is a future NFL player). For exceptions similar to Bath and St Andrews I suspect Stanford, MIT, CalTech etc. would have something to say about the Ivies being the undisputed top 8.

The RG is a bigger group in a smaller country so it isn't as elite academically, but the fundamental problem of applying a grouping based on something not entirely related (purity of college sport and size of research budget respectively) to deciding which are the 'best' unis is the same in both cases.

Good point. I just become irritable when people claim the 1994 group are somehow worse than the RG - they're exactly the same, except the 1994 is for SMALLER research intensive universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending