Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Widely believed myths

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxes-are-ginger)
    Getting your hair cut all the time makes it grow faster (how would cutting DEAD hair make your roots grow faster)
    What's dead about hair? And cutting hair obviously does affect hair growth - leg hair, for example, doesn't just keep growing Interestingly, even straightening hair can affect its growth. Very dynamic tissue is hair.

You are right that it doesn't affect long-term growth rate, but i don't think the suggestion is completely absurd.

(Original post by scotttb)
    I like to think of it as the 6 minute rule
    I've made use of the 3 hour rule before, for sure.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What's dead about hair? And cutting hair obviously does affect hair growth - leg hair, for example, doesn't just keep growing Interestingly, even straightening hair can affect its growth. Very dynamic tissue is hair.

You are right that it doesn't affect long-term growth rate, but i don't think the suggestion is completely absurd.
    The haird itself is dead, it doesn't contain any living cells. Sure leg haird doesn't proceed until one looks like a chimp, I think what he was referring to is the speed of growth, i.e. some people prefer to not cut it because they think it will grow even faster.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Add!ction)
    That crocs look good.
    I'm pretty sure no-one on this earth thinks that. They use the 'but they're so comfortable!' excuse.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    I'm pretty sure no-one on this earth thinks that. They use the 'but they're so comfortable!' excuse.
    I think wearing them should be made a criminal offence, I mean, have you seen the tan lines they leave?!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocs.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	155219  
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Wherefore art thou Romeo" doesn't mean "Where are you Romeo".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

The reason leg hair "doesn't just keep growing" is because it has a terminal length. Hair goes through an anagen phase and a telogen phase of growth, the length of each is different for hair on the scalp and androgenic hair. Hence why scalp hair can get to a longer length than leg hair.

Hairs are just strands of protein. Cutting and straightening your hair doesn't affect how it grows at the root, thats a myth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    The haird itself is dead, it doesn't contain any living cells. Sure leg haird doesn't proceed until one looks like a chimp, I think what he was referring to is the speed of growth, i.e. some people prefer to not cut it because they think it will grow even faster.
    yeah - that and hair starts to break off at the end once it's a bit... old.
    hence why you think it grows quicker when you get it cut - no dead bits!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Another myth is that hair and nails continue growing after death. Quite a few people I know still believe this!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fox News is fair and unbalanced. (Ok, maybe that one isn't WIDELY believed... but Fox thinks it is!)

All nuclear power stations are ticking timebombs.

Everyone's opinion is equally valid, regardless of qualifications and topic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prime Suspect)
    Fox News is fair and unbalanced. (Ok, maybe that one isn't WIDELY believed... but Fox thinks it is!)

All nuclear power stations are ticking timebombs.

Everyone's opinion is equally valid, regardless of qualifications and topic.
    Nuclear power stations ARE ticking time bombs if not maintained and run properly...

And vote from a person with a good education is the same as any other person.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedeneye1)
    Nuclear power stations ARE ticking time bombs if not maintained and run properly...

And vote from a person with a good education is the same as any other person.
    Not ALL nuclear power stations are maintained and run badly.

Not vote, opinion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our society is tolerant.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prime Suspect)
    Not ALL nuclear power stations are maintained and run badly.

Not vote, opinion.
    remember they are all run by humans...no matter how good they are, mistakes do happen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    remember they are all run by humans...no matter how good they are, mistakes do happen.
    ALL nuclear power stations.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F Ellen)
    Another myth is that hair and nails continue growing after death. Quite a few people I know still believe this!
    hey ! I saw that on discovery channel ! it HAS to be true.
    they do grow after death...they are just dead cells, and after death, you have plenty of dead cells..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey ! I saw that on discovery channel ! it HAS to be true.
    they do grow after death...they are just dead cells, and after death, you have plenty of dead cells..
    Dead cells don't grow, lol! The hair and nails don't continue to grow, what happens is the skin recedes, giving the illusion that the hair and nails have actually got longer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F Ellen)
    Dead cells don't grow, lol! The hair and nails don't continue to grow, what happens is the skin recedes, giving the illusion that the hair and nails have actually got longer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_llediot7pF1qe2e60.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	155557
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the major problem people have with nuclear power is that they fail to put it into perspective. Worst case scenario isn't comparable to a megaton nuclear explosion and in total, in what WAS the worst case scenario, in a nation with no regard for safety, in an ageing and old fashioned power station, the death toll was ~5000.

Per unit of energy more people die installing rooftop solar panels than do from nuclear power.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myth: Career in IB is a sole aim of one's life.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shake_it)
    Myth: Career in IB is a sole aim of one's life.
    a career in anything. There's so much more to life than what you do to make money.

Where you go to spend it, for one.
Updated: August 11, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.