Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Widely believed myths

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ESPORTIVA)
    Can this be counted as a myth? People believe cancer is a single disease, its not, its more like 200 completely different diseases which are treated differently. Thats why finding a single cure for "cancer" is impossible (i think).
    Since you seem unsure... cancer is broadly a single disease mechanism, but one which involves a vast number of different genes and molecules (far greater than 200 - we've only scratched the surface so far) that you could argue make them 'different diseases'. Treatments vary, although at the current time a lot of chemical agents and broad strategies are similar amongst different cancers. Risk factors, causes and prognosis vary greatly. The chances of a single cure a pretty remote, although you can never say never in biology really!

(Original post by zedeneye1)
    I've already seen that..

but there are no courses like "mechanical engineering" etc...
    That is just a subset of engineering. 'Mechanical engineering' is a module in the Oxford course's first year.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Since you seem unsure... cancer is broadly a single disease mechanism, but one which involves a vast number of different genes and molecules (far greater than 200 - we've only scratched the surface so far) that you could argue make them 'different diseases'. Treatments vary, although at the current time a lot of chemical agents and broad strategies are similar amongst different cancers. Risk factors, causes and prognosis vary greatly. The chances of a single cure a pretty remote, although you can never say never in biology really!

That is just a subset of engineering. 'Mechanical engineering' is a module in the Oxford course's first year.
    So a graduate from oxford can later apply for an engineering job in ANY field?

And cancer is basically cells mutating. There's lots of different kinds of cells in various different parts of our body. That makes lots of different types of cancer and different types of cures...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denacio)
    All these myths being exposed, right in the childhood! D:

Eastenders is filmed indoors contrary to belief
    So when you see someone driving their car its indoor is it? Such a retarded statement.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedeneye1)
    So a graduate from oxford can later apply for an engineering job in ANY field?

And cancer is basically cells mutating. There's lots of different kinds of cells in various different parts of our body. That makes lots of different types of cancer and different types of cures...
    They could, whether they get a job is another matter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    So when you see someone driving their car its indoor is it? Such a retarded statement.
    Did I say all of it was filmed indoors? It's filmed indoors at the BBC Elstree Centre in Borehamwood. So no, when there's driving it probably is outdoors, but most recording is in a purpose-built studio. Not such a retarded statement huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EastEnders#Filming
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denacio)
    Did I say all of it was filmed indoors? It's filmed indoors at the BBC Elstree Centre in Borehamwood. So no, when there's driving it probably is outdoors, but most recording is in a purpose-built studio. Not such a retarded statement huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EastEnders#Filming
    OMG. :facepalm:

When you said Eastenders is filmed indoors of course everyone will assume you meant "always" otherwise why bring it up? Its common sense man, yeah some scenes are filmed outdoors and some are indoors. No **** Sherlock.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You cant touch mc hammer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lightning can strike the same place twice

Schizophrenia does not mean that you have a split personality, they are two different conditions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    During your lifetime, you will swallow 8 spiders while you sleep.

I for one am very relieved that this isn't true!
    You just made me life happier!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myths I know of:

- The more people present at an emergency, the greater the chance someone will intervene (It is actually the opposite of this).

- You should drink eight glasses of water a day.

- Cracking your knuckles leads to arthritis.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    x^3=1

x=1 - A lot people believe this is the only solution a believed myth by a lot of people.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    x^3=1

x=1 - A lot people believe this is the only solution a believed myth by a lot of people.
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x%5E3%3D1&dataset=

The only other solutions are complex.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    x^3=1

Well it is the only real solution, which is what people mean. There are imaginary ones, sure. I call mine Fred.

Oh, how about your computer hardware becomes slower over time? Ask most people and they'll say a laptop will last 3-4 years before it gets too slow to use. Not true (well, not within 10 years anyway). Reinstall your OS and boom, your computer will be back to full speed (most likely even faster than when you bought it).
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Oh, how about your computer hardware becomes slower over time? Ask most people and they'll say a laptop will last 3-4 years before it gets too slow to use. Not true (well, not within 10 years anyway). Reinstall your OS and boom, your computer will be back to full speed (most likely even faster than when you bought it).
    Oh, all the processes running simultaneously, the registry etc. :rolleyes: People really feel the need to get a new computer every couple of years just because it 'slows down' and while they tidy their room every now and then in order to not get lost among their belongings it never even occurs to them that computers need some occasional maintenance as well
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x%5E3%3D1&dataset=

The only other solutions are complex.
    Complex Solutions count because the original equation before it was expanded was (x-1)(x+0.5-0.86602540378i)(x+0.5+0.86602540 378i)=0
Updated: August 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.