Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maggie Smith's movies

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just watched 'Keeping Mum' and it was hilarious! Maggie Smith was brilliant

Anyone could recommend me some good movies that she has acted in?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean Keeping Mum?

On topic, I guess she's pretty cool in the Harry Potters
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    Do you mean Keeping Mum?

On topic, I guess she's pretty cool in the Harry Potters
    lol! Thanks mate. The first time I saw the title, I thought it was 'Keeping Mom' lol.

I don't really watch Harry Potter. Do you know any other movies she's in?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sister Act 1 and 2
    Dame Maggie also appeared in the First Wives Club
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Sister Act 1 and 2
    Dame Maggie also appeared in the First Wives Club
    I love Sister Act 1! Maggie was good as well in that moive

Ah, yes. Now I remember; she was in the movie! I love that movie too! She helped Goldie Hawn with something to get revenge on her husband lol
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Private Function
    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I just watched 'Keeping Mum' and it was hilarious! Maggie Smith was brilliant

Anyone could recommend me some good movies that she has acted in?
    Ladies in Lavender was a good film.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Ladies in Lavender was a good film.
    Seems to be very interesting

Thanks.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    A Private Function
    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
    Movies from the 60's-80's eh? I'll have a look!

Thanks
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Movies from the 60's-80's eh? I'll have a look!

Thanks
    It's because I'm very old. A Private Function is Alan Bennett at his best and Miss Jean Brodie was extremely influential in its day. Whether it has anything to say to your generation I can't say, but give it a go with an open mind. I have to say that quotations from Maggie Smith films crop up a lot in our house.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gosford Park
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gosford Prk, definitely, yes, she's great in that. Although really, she's always herself. A Room With A View. California Suite for her in her youth. And for a glimpse of quite how much times have changed, try Othello, in which she plays Desdemona to an astonishingly blacked-up and hammy Laurence Olivier. Scarcely credible, but true.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love Keeping Mum too! I realised a while ago that she's actually in quite a few of my favourite films as I was growing up;

I loved her as Granny Wendy in Hook, when she appears at the top of the stairs and says "Hello Boy" I seriously get goosebumps. And she was great as Mrs Medlock in The Secret Garden. (And obviously as Prof. McGonagall!)
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninth2)
    I love Keeping Mum too! I realised a while ago that she's actually in quite a few of my favourite films as I was growing up;

I loved her as Granny Wendy in Hook, when she appears at the top of the stairs and says "Hello Boy" I seriously get goosebumps. And she was great as Mrs Medlock in The Secret Garden. (And obviously as Prof. McGonagall!)
    From Keeping Mum:

Daughter: Don't change the subject! You have a dead man in your trunk!
    Maggie: Owh, lol no, no. He's not in my trunk dear, he's in his car. (creepy face)

OMG that gave me goosebumps! lol

Here's another one:

Daughter: You can't go around killing people because you don't approve of them!
    Maggie: You know, that's what my doctor used to say, and it was the one point we could never agree on.

HAHA
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    From Keeping Mum:

Daughter: Don't change the subject! You have a dead man in your trunk!
    Maggie: Owh, lol no, no. He's not in my trunk dear, he's in his car. (creepy face)

OMG that gave me goosebumps! lol

Here's another one:

Daughter: You can't go around killing people because you don't approve of them!
    Maggie: You know, that's what my doctor used to say, and it was the one point we could never agree on.

HAHA
    I also loved it when Maggie answered the phone to the American guy and he's describing what he wants to do to 'her', and she goes "Oh, that sounds lovely!" and he hangs up.

:laugh:
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninth2)
    I also loved it when Maggie answered the phone to the American guy and he's describing what he wants to do to 'her', and she goes "Oh, that sounds lovely!" and he hangs up.

:laugh:
    LMAO

Her emotionless face is priceless on the part!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    It's because I'm very old. A Private Function is Alan Bennett at his best and Miss Jean Brodie was extremely influential in its day. Whether it has anything to say to your generation I can't say, but give it a go with an open mind. I have to say that quotations from Maggie Smith films crop up a lot in our house.
    When told that Geraldine McEwan was to succeed her in Peter Shaffer's play Lettice and Lovage in the West End, Maggie Smith is reputed to have said "Oh no, I cannot think why they would have chosen her. She has such an odd voice".
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    When told that Geraldine McEwan was to succeed her in Peter Shaffer's play Lettice and Lovage in the West End, Maggie Smith is reputed to have said "Oh no, I cannot think why they would have chosen her. She has such an odd voice".
    We have to stop meeting like this...

National treasure doesn't even begin to cover it. The two most quoted lines in our house are both from A Private Function, combining two national treasures in one. It's astonishing how often an opportunity crops up to say, It's off its paper, Gilbert!' and 'It's mother. She's 74.'

Actually, that film is just stuffed with national treasures. Liz Smith, my role model in a couple of decades, Pete Postlethwaite, Michael Palin, Richard Griffiths, Alison Steadman, Denholm Elliot, who I really loathe, but who is brilliant in this. There's not a dud amongst them, and especially not the pig. I don't know the name of Preston, the farmer's son, but I treasure his little cameo turn as well.

Dang it, I'm typing this on an iPad and the autocorrect is driving me demented.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.