Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Core 3 vs Core 4

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Which do you find 'harder'?
    Core 3
    34.31%
    Core 4
    65.69%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of maths teachers have told me that Core 3 is harder than Core 4. Most of my friends agree too. What do you guys think? Surely C4 should be harder?

I've learnt both and I can't make up my mind. Hence, thus thread.

*I'm on the AQA board.

PS: I remember seeing a thread like this once, but I can't find it. If anyone has a link to it, I would appreciate it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    im edexcel

i would say C4 is easy to learn but the exam is proper hard
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did Edexcel Maths and found C4 much harder. C3 is just difficult at first because of the trig but once you understand it you're fine
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edxcel c3 is harder, everything on c4 is pretty easy and if your ok at integration then its really ok.

the trig on c3 is a nightmare though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    aqa - core 4 is deffo way harder but relies on core 3 knowledge so you need core 3 to do core 4 so yeah...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel - I find C4 harder
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm on edexcel too... C3 was hard at first, but seems really simple after understanding all the trig, and doing C4 Can't stand the C4 "Integration" chapter, a more fitting name would be 'Differentiating backwards and making an educated guess'.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed the trig in C3 (OCR). I found that C4 personally took more effort. Usually C3 exams are solid, but the C4 I did last year had so many synoptic elements that really changed my opinion.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    C4 is way harderrrrrrrrrrrrr, core 3 is so simple
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    C3>C4
    Same as
    P4>P5 for physics.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only just done C3, have't done C4 yet but C3 was easy after doing all of the trig identity proving questions in the book.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think core 4 is easier for those with a natural talent in maths as the exam papers always go that one step beyond what is actually taught clearly in order to really distinguish between the good (i.e the people who revised) and the excellent.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    On aqa core 4 is harder. It requirers a deeper/natural understanding of maths especially because of the apllied maths topics in it like vectors and connected rates of change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On CCEA this year, C3 was really easy, C4 was the total opposite
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm on the ccea board, and personally i found both easy enough. I feel that c4 is slightly easier than c3, but the exam was harder. Still, i feel i did much better in the c4 exam than the c3.
    It was explained to me like this, c3 is easier for the people who revise a lot, even if they aren't as good at maths, whereas c4 is easier for the people with a natural ability in maths, even if they dont revise as much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found C3 harder than C4
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR Maths , and i reckon the C3 exam has more topics to learn so may be harder for some including me but that is offset by the lower grade boundaries whilst C4 is difficult but fewer chapters and i reckon if you know the difficult chapters well enough like Differential Equations and Integration they you are fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    did a C3 past paper after 3 months of no revision, I got 100%. From that I vote that C3 is easier than C4, as when I did my C4 class test I only got 73/75.

But seriously... C3 is easy. I don't know why people argue that C3 is harder than C4. Boo hoo trig boo hoo, trig isn't difficult at all if you know your stuff.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends on whether you find trig or integration harder
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have Vector nightmares at night, it's killing me!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.