Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenace grant

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! :cool:

I am EU student.

As EU student for to receive maintenance grant I should live in UK 3 years.

I came to live here at January 2009 and my course started at February 2012, so that mean I am entitled to receive my maintenace grant!

However, student finances are refusing me it. Asking evidences from work, my payslips, contracts, P60 etc. - But I provided them my bank statements, rental contracts, only some payslips and different evidences that I complited here my 3 years!

I believe all that crap needs to do them students who wants to apply Maintenance grant as migrant worker, but if I am complited my 3 years here so I believe I dont need anything else!!

However, now I received letter that they wants evidences that I live here from July 2008!!! WHY?? - If my course started at February 2012 and I am here since January 2009, I am resident here 3 years so why they wants more??

Is there anything what I dont know, or in my case Student Finace is wrong?

Thank You for advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you have misinterpreted the guidance given. It is:

Normally, you must meet three requirements relating to your residence and immigration status on the first day of the first academic year of your course (see note 1). On that date you must:
    • be ‘ordinarily resident’ (see note 2) in England; and
    • have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before this date (other than mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education); and
    • have ‘settled status’ – which means you must be settled in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act of 1971.
    The part in bold: even though your course started in February, academic years in the UK generally run
    September to July - therefore the first day of the first academic year of your course will be around September 2011, not February 2012.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.