The Student Room Group

Scly3- aqa - mass media

Anyone else doing this paper? What are you predictions? How are you finding the subject? I have notes I'm willing to share and open to others sharing notes =)

I feel like I'm the only one doing this topic haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i am i hate it only just started revising and finding it really difficult, i think if representations come up it will be class and i think postmodernism will too - i hate it :P wbu???? do you have any predictions???? also do you have any notes on models of media effects our teacher only gave us some and they are rubbish..... :smile:
Reply 2
i'm doing this too! but haven't even looked at my notes due to psychology, sociology can bore off for now.
luckily i'm going into the exam with a B already so that's taken some pressure off!
Reply 3
Original post by lamxox
hey i am i hate it only just started revising and finding it really difficult, i think if representations come up it will be class and i think postmodernism will too - i hate it :P wbu???? do you have any predictions???? also do you have any notes on models of media effects our teacher only gave us some and they are rubbish..... :smile:

Hey! Yeah the topic is kind of repetitive isn't it? I really don't know what might come up... I think media & gender may come up... oh and news selection. You never know with these kinds of things.

I do have notes if you want. They're flash cards in word docs you can print out. Inbox message me your email and I'll send them out =)

It's not very difficult tbh! The flash cards I made have simplified the topic really well so revision is good for me =)
Reply 4
does anyone have any good notes on representation of age? our teacher didnt give us much :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by angel2013
does anyone have any good notes on representation of age? our teacher didnt give us much :frown:

Representations of age

Media representations of different groups of people based on age (i.e. children, adolescents and the elderly), also generalise and categorise people on the basis of stereotypes.

Childhood

British children are often depicted in the British media in positive ways. Content analysis of media products suggest that eight stereotypes of children are
frequently used by the media.

As victims of horrendous crimes some critics of the media have suggested that White children who are victims of crime get more media attention than adults or children from ethnic minority backgrounds.

As cute this is a common stereotype found in television commercials for baby products or toilet rolls.

As little devils another common stereotype especially found in drama and comedy, e.g. Bart Simpson.

As brilliant perhaps as child prodigies or as heroes for saving the life of an adult.

As brave little angels suffering from a long-term terminal disease or disability.

As accessories stories about celebrities such as Madonna, Angelina Jolie or the Beckhams may focus on how their children humanise them.

As modern the media may focus on how children ‘these days’ know so much more ‘at their age’ than previous generations of children.

As active consumers television commercials portray children as having a consumer appetite for toys and games. Some family sociologists note that this has led to the emergence of a new family pressure, ‘pester power’, the power of children to train or manipulate their parents to spend money on consumer goods that will increase the children’s status in the eyes of their peers.

Youth

There are generally two very broad ways in which young people have been
targeted and portrayed by the media in Britain:

1) Media as socially constructing Youth's lifestyle and identity:

There is a whole media industry aimed at socially constructing youth in terms of lifestyle and identity.

Magazines are produced specifically for young people.

Record companies, Internet music download sites, mobile telephone companies and radio stations all specifically target and attempt to shape the musical tastes of young people.

Networking sites on the Internet, such as Facebook, Bebo and MySpace, allow youth to project their identities around the world.

2) Media representing Youth as a "social problem":

Youth are often portrayed by news media as a social problem, as immoral or anti-authority and consequently constructed as folk devils as part of a moral panic.

The majority of moral panics since the 1950s have been manufactured around concerns about young people’s behaviour, such as their membership of specific ‘deviant’ sub-cultures (e.g., teddy boys, hoodies) or because their behaviour (e.g., drug taking or binge drinking) has attracted the disapproval of those in authority.

Wayne et al. (2008) conducted a content analysis of 2130 news items across all the main television channels during May 2006. They found that:

Young people were mainly represented as a violent threat to society.

It was very rare for news items to feature a young person’s perspective or opinion.

They note that the media only delivers a one-dimensional picture of youth, one that encourages fear and condemnation rather than understanding.

Moreover, they argue that it distracts from the real problems that young people face in the modern world such as homelessness, not being able to get onto the housing ladder, unemployment or mental health and that these might be caused by society’s, or the government’s, failure to take the problems of youth seriously.

The elderly

Research focusing on media representations of the elderly suggests that age is not the only factor that impacts on the way the media portrays people aged 65 and over. Newman (2006) notes that upper class and middle class elderly people are often portrayed in television and film dramas as occupying high-status roles as world leaders, judges, politicians, experts and business executives. Moreover, news programmes seem to work on the assumption that an older male with grey in his hair and lines on his face somehow exudes the necessary authority to impart the news.

However, female newscasters, such as Anna Ford, have long complained that these older men are often paired with attractive young females, while older women newsreaders are often exiled to radio. Leading female film and television stars are also often relegated to character parts once their looks and bodies are perceived to be on the wane, which seems to be after the age of 40.

Sociological studies show that when the elderly do appear in the media, they tend to be portrayed in the following one-dimensional ways.

As grumpy conservative, stubborn and resistant to social change.

As mentally challenged suffering from declining mental functions.

As dependent helpless and dependent on other younger members of the family or society.

As a burden as an economic burden on society (in terms of the costs of pensions and health care to the younger generation) and/or as a physical and social burden on younger members of their families (who have to worry about or care for them).

As enjoying a second childhood as reliving their adolescence and engaging in activities that they have always longed to do before they die.

However, recent research suggests that media producers may be gradually reinventing how they deal with the elderly, especially as they realise that this group may have disposable incomes, i.e. extra money to spend on consumer goods.
Reply 6
thank u so much :biggrin:
Reply 7
also another question...how much time do we need to approximately spend on each question?
Reply 8
Can anyone send me a link to the Jan 2012 Unit 3 Question paper and Mark Scheme please?
Reply 9
Original post by walkhms
I have notes I'm willing to share and open to others sharing notes =)

Could you offer some notes on New Media and Globalisation & Popular culture please?
Reply 10
Original post by B-Man.
Could you offer some notes on New Media and Globalisation & Popular culture please?

Oh I have quite a lot of notes for that. I'll message you!
Reply 11
does anyone have essay plans or notes for.... pfft everything haha! just done psychology, literally ruled my life.
Anybody got any predictions of whats going to come up? I think maybe gender representations because thats never been up before and maybe globalisation!
What do others think?
I would like some predictions too, i think ownership and control might come up though!

I found this really good revision resource it was like 26 odd pages long but it was really good, i saved on my memory stick but it was a website too! ahhh!

if anyone wants the document drop me an inbox, but i'm at work from like 5 and wont be home till about half 9ish :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Chelsie Teary
Anybody got any predictions of whats going to come up? I think maybe gender representations because thats never been up before and maybe globalisation!
What do others think?

well gender has come up in jan 2012 so i dnt think it will...i would like representations to come up though and maybe ownership and control or selection and presentation of news
well gender has come up in jan 2012 so i dnt think it will...i would like representations to come up though and maybe ownership and control or selection and presentation of news

my teacher said representation is really likely to come up as there is nearly always a question on it :}
Reply 16
Original post by _iamnickiminaj
my teacher said representation is really likely to come up as there is nearly always a question on it :}

yh thats wat my teacher said too :smile: i hope it does and would like pluralist/Marxist
yh thats wat my teacher said too :smile: i hope it does and would like pluralist/Marxist

i want new media so bad :frown: i really hate pluralists, i only like marxism hahhaa

definately got no hope! :afraid:
Reply 18
Original post by _iamnickiminaj
i want new media so bad :frown: i really hate pluralists, i only like marxism hahhaa

definately got no hope! :afraid:

nah dnt say that...and pluralists is so easy lol i like it better than marxists :P u will be fine!! :biggrin:
Reply 19
does anyone have a good definition of popular culture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending