The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design June exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by SJS101
At the beginning of the life cycle stuff on page 193 it says life cycles can have many different meanings, when I have always done them type of questions, I tend to always talk about the environmental impact throughout the life cycle. Now I am worried I am wrong and that you are supposed to talk about growth and decay and stuff... Help?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Your so right, it does sayy that in the book :smile: I guess it could just be asking for the extraction to the disposal process? mehh idk! I think if anything like that question comes up, I will just talk about extraction to final disposal ..the environment stuffs:smile:
Reply 101
@BurtyB

June 2010 is the paper you want to look at.
Question 5, asks you how ICT/computers is used in manufacturing and market/supply to improve production and satisfy customer demands.

It's the best question I can find that relates to Kanbans, QRM, MPS, FMS, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by BurtyB
Yeah thats the thing im confused about whether you should write about growth etc..
Im also stuck on testing methods.. I just can't remember them.. does anyone know if this is worth really revising as is there major possibility it may come up !
Help!
Thanks!

I think it would be safe to learn about it! How about if I just bullet point some stuff? If you want to read it XD it may help you, sorry if it doesnt!!

DESTRUCTIVE TESTING (destroying the material)
Hardness test - Vickers test (diamond shaped equipment)
- Brinells test (ball shaped)
- Rockwells test (not too sure? lol)
The material is dented, and the depth and width of the dent is measured

Tensile strength - testing ropes - how stretchy a material is

Impact testing - Charpy test
- Izod test
- Houndsfield test
The material is hit with different hammers, test the strength it can withstand before breaking

Wear resistance - car brake discs (rubbing constantly an abrasive disc onto materil)

Fatigue testing - a machine constantly applies pressure to a chair, representing a person, to test how long the chair will last.

NON-DESTRUCTIVE testing (not destroying)
Magnetic testing - metal material made part of an electromagnet, iron particles sprinkled on material. Forming magnetic lines, these lines will break if theres a fault inside the material (fine hair line cracks)

x-ray and Gamma-ray..I need to go over because I dont know it too well :smile:

These are not all the tests, its a few I remember, and its really basic, so if you want maybe just scan through the book and mentally add to what I wrote here :biggrin:
Reply 103
I should have posted this earlier, take a look at this website:
http://www.quarrydale.notts.sch.uk/subjects/technology/ALevelProductDesign/examquestions.htm

They have exam questions and example answers to them. However, they aren't in incredible detail, or typically answered in exam-style, however some of the points for each topic may be helpful.
Reply 104
Original post by SJS101
Also some help on this too:

What safety issues must be considered for an iron other than,

- outer casing made from a thermosetting polymer than can withstand heat
- some form of grip to slow slipping
- iron should be weighted correctly so I does not fall over when stood up
- should have a grommet
- insulated wire and urea formaldehyde plug case
- light to indicate when on

I await replays and thankyouuuuuu to whoever responds

Not really sure...you've mentioned the main good points :smile: mm im not sure if this is a good enough reason? but here it is..
- larger handle for grip comfort
Reply 105
Original post by ds4143
Not really sure...you've mentioned the main good points :smile: mm im not sure if this is a good enough reason? but here it is..
- larger handle for grip comfort

It' supposed to be related to SAFETY ISSUES so no not really, don't matter

BTW im trying to upload some of my full answers but got an issue as they are either on paper or stored on my school computer however i have got a methods around it lol.
Reply 106
Original post by LukeTheodosiou
Why is an ipod touch considered as an iconic design? for what reasons exactly, i dont know how you could write detail about that

Well...
- sets a trend for other electronic devices
- has a clickwheel which is a unique feature (ease of use)
- good simple shape, functional with contempory look
- strong hard wearing materials (does not damage easily)
- long lasting battery life (users need)
- large storage space ( what users want)
- ease of use for all ages
- performs well - fast programme

I havent really researched up on apple much but hope this has helped you :smile:!
Reply 107
Original post by Mason
@BurtyB

Question 5, asks you how ICT/computers is used in manufacturing and market/supply to improve production and satisfy customer demands.

Hey, for this could you also talk about testing methods.. since they ensure that the product satisfies customers needs?

Also would you talk generally about CAD aswell?

Also i get the manufacturing part but what does it means by how its used in market?? like advertising??? confused lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by ds4143
Well...
- sets a trend for other electronic devices
- has a clickwheel which is a unique feature (ease of use)
- good simple shape, functional with contempory look
- strong hard wearing materials (does not damage easily)
- long lasting battery life (users need)
- large storage space ( what users want)
- ease of use for all ages
- performs well - fast programme

I havent really researched up on apple much but hope this has helped you :smile:!

Mate what products have you researched up on? I have basically done DYSON, APPLE, MINI, B32 CHAIR and simple general products.
Reply 109
Original post by SJS101
It' supposed to be related to SAFETY ISSUES so no not really, don't matter

BTW im trying to upload some of my full answers but got an issue as they are either on paper or stored on my school computer however i have got a methods around it lol.

larger handle - easier grip so it doesnt fall ...that is asafety issue right :/? or not?

And I hand wrote all of my essays, but I typed it all up so I could post it on here XD

Helps me to remember things if I repeat stuff
Reply 110
Original post by ds4143
larger handle - easier grip so it doesnt fall ...that is asafety issue right :/? or not?

And I hand wrote all of my essays, but I typed it all up so I could post it on here XD

Helps me to remember things if I repeat stuff

Fair enough I suppose it's right in one way :smile:

Reply 111
Original post by SJS101
Mate what products have you researched up on? I have basically done DYSON, APPLE, MINI, B32 CHAIR and simple general products.

Dyson
Radio
JCB
Carlton dresser
3pin plug
car interior for disabled and elderly
mobile phone for ergonomics and anthropometrics
Aluminium can for environment concerns
Memphis Super lamp

mmm thats all I can remember at the moment
Reply 112
Original post by SJS101
Hey, for this could you also talk about testing methods.. since they ensure that the product satisfies customers needs?

Also would you talk generally about CAD aswell?

Also i get the manufacturing part but what does it means by how its used in market????? like advertising??? confused lol

You can talk about CAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) which is a test-like method to simulate things like testing suspension parts in cars under simulated loads.
I don't think tests like the brinell or vickers use computers, so I wouldn't talk about that.
Customer satisfaction could also mean getting their order (e.g. ordering cars) on time.

CAD is part of ICT/computer within manufacture. So talk about CIM, CAM/CAD, FMS, CAE, etc.
It asks you how ICT/computers improve in marketing/supply, so talk about EPOS (using bar codes so stocks can be re-ordered from the manufacture), which links to JIT, Kanbans, telematics, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Mason
You can talk about CAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) which is a test-like method to simulate things like testing suspension parts in cars under simulated loads.

CAD is part of ICT/computer within manufacture. So talk about CIM, CAM/CAD, FMS, CAE, etc.
It asks you how ICT/computers improve in marketing/supply, so talk about EPOS (using bar codes so stocks can be re-ordered from the manufacture), which links to JIT, Kanbans, telematics, etc.

Thanks

Reply 114
Original post by ds4143
Dyson
Radio
JCB
Carlton dresser
3pin plug
Memphis Super lamp

Oh I have done the super lamp as well, will upload now

Reply 115
Original post by ds4143
Dyson
Radio
JCB
Carlton dresser
3pin plug
Memphis Super lamp

Gonna upload now but when you reply can you not quote me but just reply normally please. I don't really want to leave it on here after so will prob remove it but can not if it is quoted by anyone... Thanks

Reply 116
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by Mason
@BurtyB

Ohhh thank you so much! Ive just tried to do the question and tbh I think now that Ive practised it It has finally sunk in! :biggrin:
So nervous now!
Reply 118
Original post by BurtyB
Ohhh thank you so much! Ive just tried to do the question and tbh I think now that Ive practised it It has finally sunk in! :biggrin:
So nervous now!

Awesome! :biggrin:
It was a nasty question when I did it, but I finally got it as well :smile:

Good luck!!
I'm more nervous than you are, believe me haha
Reply 119
Hi,

I have only started re-reading my notes now due to the exams I have had this week. I usually score 20/28 for my essays and my tip is to use as many keywords and examples as you can.

I hope these topics come up tomorrow...

Patents

Robotics

Manufacturing systems

Product Lifecycle

Legislation

Ergonomics & Anthropometrics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending